99 Altima 2.4, bleeding the cooling system

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
loukywells

Today I replaced the hoses and the thermostat...no big deal. I filled the radiator up and took it for a drive. Within a few moments, the gauge went straight up to hot. I took it back to the garage and attemped to bleed the system and found no bleeder screw. I did loosen a screw on the upper hose (at the engine) and thought it would bleed from there. Again...it went to hot and no heater? Thermostat bad? I took out the new one and replaced it with another one...same thing. I took the cap off while it was running and let it flow out and I didn't see any bubbles. Any ideas?

david gussie
Car: Altima

I had a similar problem on a Ford. Had to bleed 5 times. it did have a bleed screw.Try running with the cap off fo some time checking the temp often. it might help to rock the car. if all else fails call a local dealer, lol hey might know more then us and share. the service desk has helped me on those simple questions. hope this helps

loukywells

Thanks, I'll try that and lket you know.

david gussie
Car: Altima

also forgot to say - try to rev the engine up to 2k or 3 k rpm's this will push the fluids to burp the system. carful re the temp don't want to warp the head or blow a head gasket

loukywells

I'm totally at a loss here and I'm about to blow a headgasket. I used all the tricks in the book on this one and the thermostat will not open up. I even put the old one in and the same thing occurs. Tonight, I put the front of the car way up in the air with the cap off and while on the jack I rocked it back and forth. The bottom radiator hose is not hot at all and the reservoir is boiling like nobody's business. I also attempted to take the upper hose off and fill it that way and also rev'd many times to push the water...still no luck. Keep in mind, that this was a preventive maintenance and nothing was wrong. Now...well, I've got problems. Any more words of wisdom? Thanks.

mantacy7
Car: 99 nissan altima GLE

im sure you tried everything. but lets logically think for a second. 1) you did make sure the thermostat was in the right direction right? ( just asking) 2) did you check thermostat and make sure it is the correct one for your vehicle. it is possible to get a bad one out of the box and it is highly probable someone gave you the wrong one. All that being said, obviously there is nothing wrong with the hoses so we can rule them out which only leaves, thermostat, water pump, and radiator,.. Question did your car over heat ever Just before during or after installation? Now i have a 99 altima, they are not complicated however they do no allow for a bleeder valve so you must leave the cap off of the radiator and run the car untill it gets hot enough to open the thermostat, once the thermostat opens your radiator may overflow for a moment or two but then will settle down...add more coolant keep checkin temperature gauge during process. never let it get in the red..it can get close just not for long. It does take awhile for the altima to heat up and open the thermostat, mine took 10 minutes or more so be patient, as long as it does not over heat your fine.

once again with this all said and done if you are still having problems then it could be possible by flushing and old system you can potentially loosen debree from inside which can inturn clog a radiator, doesnt usually happen though unless coolant is extremely old and nasty. however when i flushed mine it had 90 miles on it and it wasnt half bad. the only other thing it could be is the pump or thermostat just make sure they are all correct and they are working before you put them on. if you can disconnect the radiator hoses and make sure when you pour water in the top it comes out with no problem from the bottom, if it does not then your rad, is clogged. once again im sure this is not it so i am really interested in your thermostat factory says it should be a 76-195 degree thermostat but nismo sells a better one that opens at 62-169 either way you should be between 62 and 195. let me know whats up and if this does not work i can get some info from my uncle he is ase certified. peace for now bro BE patient you really have to wait to bleed the air out with the cap off you will see it happen...i got worried for a while but then it started gushing out for just a second then it settle down and i topped it off kept the cap off for another 10 minutes just to be sure....also make sure your using 50/50 mix...later

bikeaddict

should be a bleeder screw, trying to think where it is now..should be a 10 mm bolt maybe on the throttle body or near egr valve? it will be hight up on the engine. and as suggested, run with rad cap off at about 3000rpm with heater fan on high..

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”