98 parts questions

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Caligulastank
Car: 98 q45

So im working on a 98 q41 that i recently acquired, and ive found a few things that need fixing and i want to be sure im getting the right stuff. Spark plugs are ancient, from what ive read the NGK laser platinum (NGK PFR5G-11) are what it comes with. is this correct? and if so whats the best place to get them. i also discovered that my valve cover gaskets are leaking oil into the spark plug chamber. So where can i find the correct gasket set with all of the pieces i will need? the coils have oil on them from the leak, but there is no error codes on the computer. i know the coil packs need to be replaced but i am on a tight budget so if i can hold off on that i can fix it soon. where is the best place to get the coil packs? i see them 8 for $80 on ebay but i dont know if that is trustworthy or not. the car is higher miles at 170k so aside from gaskets and tune up stuff do you guys have any good recommendations? i am also in the process of replacing the pulleys and tensioners, mostly the idler pulley bearings are making noise. the ac compressor bearings are shot too, but it still works so im just riding on it until i can get another. sorry for the noob questions and i know the best thing to do is replace anything broken but i have to do it in stages so any help and guidance on that is greatly appreciated.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

Well this is already pretty high miles so not sure what investment you want to make in it. The spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, coil packs, and knock sensors are all fried at this point. The amount of work you have to do to get in there and remove all of them pretty much makes it worthwhile to do them all at once. I know a few people have tried to use aftermarket, but if you goal is to get this going 100% I would use everythinginfiniti.com and buy as much OEM as you can afford. Do all of these at once and the engine will be good for another 180k.

94Q45Beast
Car: 1994 INFINITI Q45t w/HICAS
1992 INFINITI Q45
2017 INFINITI Q70S AWD BLACK ON BLACK

i was in the same situation with my G50 of 94 when I first got it last November with 164,000 miles, the engine was in good condition cuz it was serviced on a monthly basis prior to a 6 year slumber, which did a lot of damage, since you recently acquired your Q41, check fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel lines, vapor lines, coolant hoses, fuses, relays, knock sensors, coolant temp sensor, rotors, thermostat, suspension, all fluid changes with flushes, check tires, scan for codes. and as BadQ45t recommended, do it all at once its a lot easier, knock sensors are absolute hell replacing, also thoroughly clean the throttle body and intake manifold

http://www.autozone.com/external-engine ... 41308_0_0/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Knock-Sensor-fo ... 79&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FACTORY-OEM ... 39&vxp=mtr

Caligulastank
Car: 98 q45

Thanks for the info guys! Very helpful. So far I have replaced with new: water pump, fuel pump, fuel filter, radiator, hoses, belts, air intake temp sensor, cleaned and repacked bearings in pulleys (they make some noise but are still useable) took apart the intake (did not remove intake manifold) and put a new air filter in and cleaned the MAF and throttle body. This car is in excellent shape inside and out but some of the stuff under the hood needs some attention, but thankfully the car has been garage kept almost its entire 17 year life and never sat up. Right now the car runs pretty well with the accessories off because of the drag of the pulleys, but im still having some hesitation issues at the low end. Hooked the car up to a computer and the only snapshot it had was the coolant temp sensor thought it was -40 at some point (i live in texas). However, upon checking the spark plugs i discovered the oil leaking from the valve covers. i only removed one so i dont know if the leak is on both sides or the extent of the damage. I have managed to purchase 8 coil packs, the gaskets, and the spark plugs. i might make the intake manifold a separate project, see how well it runs with good plugs and coils. I bought this car from my grandparents and they bought it in 98 new and took pretty good care of it except for some high mileage maintenance. so far im about 2k invested in repairs on it and i have no problem going to 5k or so because this is my DD for a 60-mile per day commute. would rather fix up this car than deal with payments and full coverage insurance. so basically my vision for the car is to just replace the broken stuff with new and not really do any performance upgrades. thanks again for the input!

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”