97 nissan maxima starts then shuts off

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
hachiroku781
Car: 1997 Nissan Maxima GXE

When its cold the car starts then shuts right off. I have to give it gas to keep the engine running, but after a few seconds it runs fine. Then it starts right up when its warmed up. I have no idea what could be causing this. Although I did notice a fuel smell when it starts up cold. Could it possibly be the fuel filter?

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

My wifes 98 had the fuel smell and we fixed it by changing thefuel filter. My 95 had the same problem but after winter it wentaway.

My GUESS is this. The o rings on the injectors shrink a little in thewinter until the car warms up so there is no seal temporarily fromgasoline fumes.

As a cheap fix, change the fuel filter according to the FSM directionsand add a bottle of Chevron Techron additive (spelling?) to the gas tank first and work from there.

daddybob
Car: 1998 Infiniti I-30

I have a 98 I30 with similar problem. Have you found out what is causing it?

hachiroku781

well mine was due to leaky injectors and a clogged fuel filter. I had to replace the filter, and injectors. Also It would help when removing the manifold to replace some of the gaskets, and it never hurts to change the spark plugs, as my engine was running rich fouling my plugs.

daddybob

Thanks, I'll try the fuel filter first.

daddybob

Fuel filter was the problem. Thanks!

sanford7575
Car: Cars

Please help! 1997 Nissan Maxima SE Automatic, 128K. My problem is that after sitting overnight, or all day after work, the car starts, but then dies immediately. It starts right back up and then dies immediately repeatedly, and then after the 3rd attempt and a little gas, it stays on and operates normally. No codes or CEL.It sounds like a fuel issue to me, but doesn't seem like a bad relay, fuel pump, pressure regulator, or injector. Any suggestions??? Fuel Filter? IAC?I used to have an old Volvo, and they have fuel pump check valves that actually preload gas into the cylander when you shut off the engine so that there is gas in there ready to go upon the next start. Is there anything comparable to that in these maximas? It seems as if the car is getting no gas immediately after initial start up, but then works normally after the 3rd start/stall.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

hachiroku781

There can be a multitude of problems causing this to happen. I can not clearly tell what the problem could be, but it could possibly be the fuel filter or any components of the fuel system. I would personally check everything just to be safe. Never hurts to have a new fuel filter or even injectors. I noticed after changing my fuel filter and various other components, my car ran better than ever and never hesitated to start right up. And I am already at 180,000 miles. However check what the car is idling at as well, both at warm temp, and after cold start. Check and see if it idles per factory specs.

Metalmirq
Car: 1998 Infiniti I30

i had the same problem with my 98 I30. i brought it to a mechanic and they raised the idle. it doesnt happen anymore

junkiefp
Car: 03 GLE

*PLEASE HELP*I have an 03 maxima that now has a problem starting when the engine is hot. I have to blip the throttle for it to start. When its cold it starts right up. What could be causing this???

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Do you have a CEL? If so, have a free scan from Autozone and get a printout of result.

If the car has starting problem only when hot, then ignition is not an issue. Do a basic inspection - check air filter and replace as required; verify battery connections are clean and tight (use steel brush to clean poles and connectors); clean the main engine harness ground points (2 each located on top of the engine adjacent to intake plenum, near cylinder #2).

If all of the above are OK and problem persists, you may have a problem with the the Coolant Temperature Sensor. The fuel delivery needs to be checked and it would be better if you could clean the MAF sensor (CRC MAF Cleaner).

junkiefp
Car: 03 GLE

loystock wrote:Do you have a CEL? If so, have a free scan from Autozone and get a printout of result.

If the car has starting problem only when hot, then ignition is not an issue. Do a basic inspection - check air filter and replace as required; verify battery connections are clean and tight (use steel brush to clean poles and connectors); clean the main engine harness ground points (2 each located on top of the engine adjacent to intake plenum, near cylinder #2).

If all of the above are OK and problem persists, you may have a problem with the the Coolant Temperature Sensor. The fuel delivery needs to be checked and it would be better if you could clean the MAF sensor (CRC MAF Cleaner).
I have no CEL. All the connections are clean. I will clean my MAF this week and report back. If the problem persists is it safe to say that its a Coolant Temp Sensor problem?

Flex2slick
Car: 95 Nissan maxima

I am having the same problem, I have a 95 Nissan Maxima in mint condition. Sometimes when I try to start it it will run for a second then stall, if I give it gas right away it will stay running. I have heard that it may be a fuel filter, I was thinking the fuel pump? I also read it could be a pci sensor. Also sometimes going up a hill it lacks power for a second or two and the idle sometimes fluctuates when the car is running in park. Has anyone had a similar problem and what was the fix. This is my first Nissan and it's my wife's car.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”