'96 infiniti overheating issue

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
jwpayso
Car: 1996 infiniti i30

Brief overview: '96 infiniti i30 after about 30-1hours time temp. needle is climbing to reading H as hot as it can read. when it gets to this point; theres no smoke, no change in the way it drives, and no leaks, or loss of coolant. Fans are working properly, and A/C works fine, but when its on it climbs to Hot faster then if it was off. im new, and recently posted a similar problem. since then i have taken my car two places. a trusted friend, and a new person. my question is does anyone have any info on where my thermostat is located, and if i need to take off the timing chain and the water pump to get to it?? Also the new mechanic gave me this info and said i would probly need to replace the water pump and thermo. i kno the thermostat is only like 10 bucks and another mechanic (a trusted friend) told me that it is easy to replace the new thermo. and didnt mention anything about a water pump and timing chain. could someone help me please. i just need some info on this issue. Especially if the thermostat is connected through the timing chain and water pump, as the new mechanic said. ANY INFO WILL HELP !! Thanks

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

The picture below shows the location of both water pump and thermostat. The thermostat comes out from the engine a bit at an angle. To get to the water pump, you'll need to remove the timing access cover shown in the illustration, and remove the timing guide for that side. To get to the timing cover, you'll need to remove the drive belt, as well as the idler pulley bracket.I'm not sure exactly what is involved in replacing the t-stat, but from the illustrations and directions in the FSM, it looks like you will NOT need to remove any timing covers, guides, or chains. You will want to be careful with coolant--don't get it on the drive belts.

Also, the service manual recommends revving the engine to 3000 under no load after removing and replacing the water pump/timing cover in order to purge any air from the chamber. After replacing the cover, you may hear rattling until the air has been purged.

Procedure for replacement of water pump is:

-Drain coolant from radiator and both sides of cylinder block-remove drain plug (just below the timing/pump cover)-remove right side engine mounting, mounting brackets, and nuts-Remove Drive belt and idler pulley assembly-remove timing/pump cover-remove timing chain tensioner-remove water pump

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”