96' i30 - coolant steam out after transmission fluid flush

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
dontaskwhoiam2001
Car: Infiniti i30 1996

I need your comments, please help!

My i30 Standard 96' is on 130,000KMs (80,000Miles). I got this car on Jan 1, 08' when it's on 70,000KMs (43,000miles). I took it to a Nissan dealer once I just got it, they replaced rear O2 senser, repair CAT thread, changed engine oil & filter. Ever since then, the car has been done oil changes every 3000~6000KMs, and most of the times I used Castrol Synthetic oil. It has been running well.

Yesterday, I took it to an Infiniti dealer and had transmission fluid flush done. They also cleaned up everything under the hood to make it look very clean and nice. I drove it back home, no problem. This morning, after I drove it for 20 minutes, coolant steam came out from under the hood. I pulled over, cooled down, opened the hood, saw coolant container was empty, but the radiator still had coolant. I had no idea where the coolant leakage coming out.

I then towed the car to the Infiniti dealer right away. They told me the problem had nother to do with their service yesterday. I was told it was the radiator problem and the thermalstat needed to be replaced as well.

In addition, they took me under the car. I was showed engine oil leakage, CV boots oil leakage. They also told me A/C did not work either. To fix them all, parts alone are CAD$1700.

Questions:
1. Could flushing transmission fluid cause coolant steaming out? Or it is just a coincidence?
2. Is it normal to see engine oil leakage on i30 at this age? How can I confirm it is actually engine oil leak?
3. Other thoughts?

:confused:

Thanks
Jack

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Check the coolant hoses to/from radiator. Have the radiator pressure tested. You should have known if the AC is working or not. If CV boot is leaking, it has to be replaced. You have to finds out the source of the oil leak. If you are not mechanically inclined, take it to a reputable shop (ask friends/relatives) for 2nd opinion. If you want OEM parts, you can buy them at 25% off MSRP from IoS (Infiniti of Scottsdale), a.k.a. everythingnissan.com.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”