95 Maxima Transmission

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
ram_maximus
Car: 1995 Maxima GLE

Hello everyone,

I have been royally screwed! Yep! That is me... I recently bought a 95 Maxima with what they claimed was 87000 miles on it. My odometer failed after a day or two! So not too sure if that is the right mileage on the car.

Anyways I have a 95 Maxima GLE with A/T. The tranny is dying. I need to replace it. Checked with a dealer who quoted $3200 to do it. A Transmission dude quoted $1700 to rebuild it. After hopping through a lotta forums, I found that an used tranny could be bought from a junkyard and put in.

I am a total newbie to cars and don't know anything about them except to drive them! So..where do I start. Please help. I really hope this would be the last forum I would be posting this request in!

Thank you!

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

What exactly is going on with your tranny?

You can check http://car-part.com/ or ebay for a tranny.

As for doing the job yourself, it can be done by 2 people over a weekend - provided you have the right equipment, a Haynes or Chilton manual, and are mechanically inclined.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

If you can find a used tranny with low miles, I would prefer that to a rebuilt one. For some reason, I have had bad luck with rebuilt tranny's.

If you decide to DIY, then find a friend who has done it before and have them help you out. It's not really a "hard" job, just very labor intensive. If you DIY, I would suggest replacing the CV boots while you are at it. The boots are cheap and you don't know how many miles are on the existing ones.

ram_maximus

My transmission is slipping....or that is what the mechanics who checked it said. Maxima is known to be a fast car but I really chug along till I get to the third gear. The Maxima revs to 2500 before it shifts to the next gear and a tranny guy said that his meter didn't show a second gear being present !!!

I have no idea what to do with a transmission ..althought I would like to give it a try. I am in the process of locating a junkyard but with little success. Junkyards sorta scare me, to be honest. Given that I have no clues about cars or transmissions, I have no idea on how to buy a good tranny. Are there things that I need to look for? I got screwed once...don't wanna the second time.

Also, the gas mileage on my Maxima is awefully bad. I get like 80 miles in the city on a full tank!! Is that normal cuz its a V-6? If so, then there is no point in me driving this car even cuz it drinks only premium! The ECU doesn't report of an Oxygen Sensor failure but when I smelled the exhaust, it had a very strong fuel smell...so I guess a lotta fuel is going unburnt. Thats just an amateur guess..though.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I get about 26mpg or so during city driving and 400 miles on a tank (mostly highway driving). You definitely have something wrong. Just because you are not showing a CEL, does not mean there are not codes in the system. Go by an Autozone or some such place and have them pull codes for you. You may have some bad injectors/coils....

As far as the tranny, it's a craps shoot with a used one. Getting one rebuilt nowadays may be the best way to go. "Back when" I had tranny problems in an old Toyota, I blew through multiple rebuilt parts before getting a used tranny that lasted. Since most shops give decent warranties now, you can get yours rebuilt and save some cash by removing and installing it yourself.

ram_maximus

audtatious wrote:I get about 26mpg or so during city driving and 400 miles on a tank (mostly highway driving). You definitely have something wrong. Just because you are not showing a CEL, does not mean there are not codes in the system. Go by an Autozone or some such place and have them pull codes for you. You may have some bad injectors/coils....

As far as the tranny, it's a craps shoot with a used one. Getting one rebuilt nowadays may be the best way to go. "Back when" I had tranny problems in an old Toyota, I blew through multiple rebuilt parts before getting a used tranny that lasted. Since most shops give decent warranties now, you can get yours rebuilt and save some cash by removing and installing it yourself.
Removing and installing myself !! I was trying to disconnect the speaker from the front doors and I couldn't do it fully...I did steps 2-10 but couldn't do step 1

If a transmission is in bad shape, how would they re-build it? Would they get new parts..cuz if its gonna be $1700 + parts, I am a dead duck

maxhopper

Definitely something going on with your fuel/ingnition to be getting that bad mileage.

Check out these trannys http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=WDVW it's rebuilt, warrantied, and the seller has pretty good feedback.

The one you need is RE4F04A.

ram_maximus

maxhopper97 wrote:Definitely something going on with your fuel/ingnition to be getting that bad mileage.

Check out these trannys http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=WDVW it's rebuilt, warrantied, and the seller has pretty good feedback.

The one you need is RE4F04A.
Thanks a lot man. I checked the spark plugs and they are clean. The mechanic said that these use coils for ignition and don't use a distributor. The ECU doesn't show O2 sensors go wrong either. ..any suggestions here?

maxhopper

Like audtatious said, check for codes. Just because the check engine light isn't on doesn't mean that there isn't a code. Go here and learn how to check your codes, it's very easy and all you'll need is a screwdriver, a pen, and paper. http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

NISTECH

I think you should adress this trans problem first as it could be a large part of your problem with your fuel economy.

heres a trans from a dealer.http://www.nissanwholesaleparts.com/parts.html

ram_maximus

Thank you for the help guys. I couldn't get to reply earlier on and I apologise. I am getting tired of dealing with my Maxima. Found a dealer who was willing to give me $3000 for the car. Most likely will trade this one in for another, newer Maxima. I sorta like the 4th gen body style better than the 5th gen ones. So might go for a 1999 Maxima I guess.

Are the 5th gens superior to the 4th gens in the engine/transmission areas other than the niceties that dawned in the 21st century?

NISTECH

The 5th gen are nice cars, I feel their more agile[sp?] If you buy an 02 or 03 they have a 3.5l in them. Verses the 3.0 in the 4th gen and early 5th gen.

ram_maximus

I haven't driven any other than my Maxima.. so they might be better by significant margins on handling and bigger engine sizes. To me the 4th generations look really elegant and a bit sporty too....

NISTECH

I personally like the style of the 5th gen.

ram_maximus

I like the 5th gens too but the grille and the headlights seem a bit too futurish. The rear end (no pun intended ) is among the best and is classic Z style.

NISTECH

nothin a stille grille or billet grille cant resolve.

ram_maximus

Was taking a better look at an 05 Maxima today. It did look good, even with the grille. Could it be the headlights...I don't know. I seem to think Maximas are much better looking now !!

NISTECH

the 05 is 6th gen and I dispise that model, its nasty lookin to me..lol

audtatious

ram_maximus wrote:Was taking a better look at an 05 Maxima today. It did look good, even with the grille. Could it be the headlights...I don't know. I seem to think Maximas are much better looking now !!
5th Gen is in my sig below. Not the current body style...

ram_maximus

DUH !!!!!!! I am feeling sooooooooooooo stupid now !!

audtatious

ram_maximus wrote:DUH !!!!!!! I am feeling sooooooooooooo stupid now !!
Nah....Confused, maybe...But not stupid

ram_maximus

Thanks a ton... I am just confused.... ok have a question for ya'll. After having decided to sell my Maxima, I decided to go for a more frugal, four cylinder - Accord or Camry. After test driving an Accord yesterday, found the pick up to be slow and the sound system, pathetic...and I am talkiing about the '03 Accord !! Came back and turned the volume up on Maxima's BOSE.

Two things I could do.. replace the factory fitted audio on the Accord after buying it so it sounds better or buy a Maxima GLE. My current Max gives me 80 miles to a full tank !! and that is why I am stopping short of buying a Max. How much do you guys get to a full tank, driving around only in the city??

My heart says MAX, MAX, you are young only once, damnit...while my mind says..4 Cyl, Accord-Camry

NISTECH

Somthing is seriously wrong with your car, even in city you should get around 250 to 300 miles to a tank. I wouldnt buy a honda for nothin[personal opinion and past grievences with the mid 80 honda products] I say go for a max if you can handle the fuel usage as I described, If you want to go more exonomy drive a 2.5s or 2.5sl altima, you will be pleasantly suprised.

ram_maximus

The more I think, the more I feel I should lean towards a MAX cuz I love the way it drove..and secondly (honestly but stupidly, more important to me! = BOSE). I am not sure if you could upgrade to the BOSE audio in an Altima. I'd be glad if you could !!

I was reading this review on a 2002 Maxima from a Canadian Website and the figures they have posted for fuel economy is a bit better than an Accord or Camry's! Does the Canadian MPG differ from the US' ?

http://www.canadiandriver.com/...a.htm

NISTECH

the canadian numbers are typically in kilometers rather than miles.

ram_maximus

yea... but did you take a look at this site --->

They report it in mpg !

NISTECH

ram_maximus wrote:yea... but did you take a look at this site --->

They report it in mpg !
I think that might be a misprint especially since he said increase for the auto and the numbers he posted were lower. I think your highway miles are in the mid to high 20's and your city miles will be in the high teens.

maxhopper

ram_maximus wrote:How much do you guys get to a full tank, driving around only in the city??
I typically get around 330 miles to a tank city driving in my 97 auto.

ram_maximus

Thats it...

I test drove an '03 Accord LX and '02 Camry XLE. They are family cars alright ...and I am not ready for a family, forget a car for it. I am getting a Maxima. Glad now that I can still post on this group. Will let you guys know about what I bought. Mostly, '01 or '02 Maxima GLE.

Thanks folks !

maxhopper

I would definitely go for an 02 with the 3.5 liter. Fezzik's car has truely amazing power.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”