95-99 Sentra Broken tie Rod removal

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

My cousin's sentra has a broken left tie rod, and I need to get it off. Now I got the tie rod end off but the ball joint on the tie rod itself is on the car and I can't get it off. does it just pull off with some force or can it screw off somehow?

I see that the tie rods are sold with the ball joint and socket after some searching online. Unfortunately, searching google and this forum doesn't turn up how to remove the tie rod...

help!

Red coupe
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx Coupe

This toolgrips the steering knuckle and pushes on the tie rod end as you tighten it...

or maybe fix it like most other problems and get mad then hit it hard with a hammer? the tools are cheap and handy though, and it actually does let go pretty hard when it finally does so it takes some force....probably be best to use the tool if you can.

PantherRacer

PantherRacer wrote:Now I got the tie rod end off but the ball joint on the tie rod itself is on the car and I can't get it off. does it just pull off with some force or can it screw off somehow?
Thanks for trying though it's hard to get replies sometimes. and I should have specified clearer.

Red coupe

do the new ones come with out that ball joint?

On the 240 the new tie rods I got came with that piece....the whole thing was unscrewed from the steering rack after you pride these little tabs back that keep it from rotating...

Those parts have to get a pretty sizeable load durring cornering, or turning the wheels while not moving, so its not gonna pull out with out a couple hundred/thousand pounds (or a pin/clip somewhere)....You sure it comes apart? May need a press then...

Red coupe

I think I get it now ? :P

Have you fixed it already? [IMG][/IMG]Notice the thin metal plate that fits over the end, the tabs on this fold over the flattened edges to prevent it from unthreading...Bend those out of the way, and throw a wrench on the flat spots and unscrew.You may wanna use some thread locker on the new ones, then fold those tabs back down....

Thats for a 240 but I can imagine any big supprises...

PantherRacer

Nope, the part is still on there, if it doesn't come out then the whole damn steering rack will have to come out and I'm positive that's not how it's supposed to go.

ahh, I see what you're saying now though. I'll go have another whack at it.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”