94 Q45 won't start. code 16?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
LoxMurda
Car: 93 Q45 212,xxx R.I.P.
94 Q45 180,xxx and climbing

First my problem began after I change out injector number 2. After the change I had problems starting, it would take me 3 turns of the key to get it going. Then it stated getting worse. If I didn't start the car in a day or two. I would hear this horrible noise kinda where the start was, it felt like something from the engine. this went on for about a month. Then all of a sudden my after market alarm was not responding. It still took my now usual 3 turns to start but it seemed like with every turn then battery would drain.

Now the damn thing won't start at all. thought it was the starter, replaced it and noting. Recharged my battery but with every turn of the key it died a little more. I had a battery booster connected to try again but I noticed all my lights interior and exterior would cut off when I turned the key. i checked for codes and got code 16 TCS signal. possible problem between ECM and TCM (throttle control module). Could this prevent the engine from starting and maybe deplete a battery.

LoxMurda
Car: 93 Q45 212,xxx R.I.P.
94 Q45 180,xxx and climbing

My findings so far. With no key in ignition I check fuses under hood. Removing them one by one and testing for voltage across pins with fuse in.

ING SW had 12v on one pin and 9 volts on the other without fuse in

Injector had 12v on one pin and 0-1v on the other without fuse in

ENG CONT had 12v on both pins without fuse in

ENG CONT (ST) had no voltage on either pins.

hope this helps anybody looking to assist me.

ericthered
Car: Past: 06 M35x, 94 Q45t, 92 Q45, 91 Q45 w/HICAS
old nico name: JedCoop

I'll assume you have TCS on your Q. I had TCS on my '91 and '94 Qs, and that never caused a problem starting the car. I can't remember codes, but my experiences suggest TCS relays located near the battery and the secondary throttle position sensor are the first two things to consider.

Associated with the TCS is the TCS pump. I had some problems with this running when it should not after the car is off. It is located on the passenger side - it sounded like it came from inside the fender adjacent to the ABS pump. Once I fixed my throttle position sensor it started to behave better. I always got the battery recharged at least once every two weeks. A weak battery dies by three weeks. Any battery that has been left uncharged for two days is weak. If left uncharged longer, it is weaker. But like I said, TCS weirdness/disablement never stopped me from starting the car.

Outside of TCS, I can see that if there is a problem with the throttle position sensor the car might not start. But it could be the AIC (likely meddled with when changing the injector), or an unseated injector gasket (were they new, and did you use vaseline when installing?) Not sure what my troubleshooting workflow would be.

Hope that helps,

94Q45Beast
Car: 1994 INFINITI Q45t w/HICAS
1992 INFINITI Q45
2017 INFINITI Q70S AWD BLACK ON BLACK

so how was this issue resolved....I get a stumble in all gears to the point where it stalls....IAC valve is OEM brand new, with the secondary TPS sensor changed a few thousand miles ago with brand new OEM....also getting code 16.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”