94 Q45 vs 01 Q45

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
armiller
Car: 98 Q45

My father now drives the 98 Q45 I owned in between my BMWs. I'm now considering going back to a Q45 and have 2 options. Both are VERY nice and have similar asking prices. I am not familiar with the older style though. Can anyone please chime in and give advice as to maintenance & performance differences? I know the 98 parts were hard to come by so many needed to be directly from the dealer. I also know that the engine is smaller on the 01, but the styling is nicer. All info is greatly appreciated.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Totally different beasts... Clearly the '01 is going to be more like the '98 you owned, with a few cosmetic upgrades. The '94 will be a bit faster, but a little less reliable. I would check the fuel injectors on the '94 (check out the ohm test at http://www.q45.org) and look for coil pack replacement in the service history of the '01. Knock sensors fail on both versions pretty regularly.

Parts availability will be somewhat more limited for the '94 - even from the factory... Nissan isn't producing replacement parts for the old Q45s anymore, so as part supplies run out they're just not available anymore.

Heath

armiller

I should clarify that I am a DIYer so the more online info about repairs and maintenance, the better. I draw the line at taking the engine or transmission apart, but all else is fair game to me. I will start tearing things apart if I think I can fix it myself. I think I recall the service manual for the 98 being available, but other DIY tutorials with pictures are always great. Thanks folks!

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Service manuals for both are available at www.infinitiservicemanual.com

DIY on either car will be about the same... I think the 01 may be a little bit more DIY friendly, but not too different.

armiller

Q451990 wrote:Totally different beasts... Clearly the '01 is going to be more like the '98 you owned, with a few cosmetic upgrades. The '94 will be a bit faster, but a little less reliable. I would check the fuel injectors on the '94 (check out the ohm test at http://www.q45.org) and look for coil pack replacement in the service history of the '01. Knock sensors fail on both versions pretty regularly.

Parts availability will be somewhat more limited for the '94 - even from the factory... Nissan isn't producing replacement parts for the old Q45s anymore, so as part supplies run out they're just not available anymore.

Heath
Awesome. thanks for such a quick response. I think I remember seeing you on the forums regularly a few years back. Reliability is the biggest thing for me. Other than a tuneup and rear suspension work, nothing has been done to the 98 my dad now has. I'm just running out of time to fix my 740iL so I may need to let it go. I think the 94 would have to be more of a Sunday driver to be kept pristine since it's already a classic. I'd then have to lease a cheap daily driver.

We will see what happens.

ericthered
Car: Past: 06 M35x, 94 Q45t, 92 Q45, 91 Q45 w/HICAS
old nico name: JedCoop

I loved my 94, the decision totally depends on just how clean it is.

After 20 years power steering high pressure hoses, AC Compressor, injectors, are likely concerns that cost money, especially the AC. Be sure it blows COLD, doesn't drip, and injectors are under 14 ohms ten minutes after shutting down the fully warm engine.
Continual wear items like control arms, tension rods, brakes are assumed. I'd also make sure all keys and remote entry work, and run interior electrical diagnostics per the FSM - these things don't fail, just get wonky.

I can't speak to the '01, I really liked the drive of my '94 - but it really needs tokico blues instead of the soft OEM shocks. At over 50 mph my '94t handled/rode better than my '06M35x. Under 50 MPH the M35x has the edge in handling.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”