94 Nissan Maxima Tune-Up Question (First time)

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Jay85
Car: 1994 Nissan Maxima, 2007 Acura TL

Ok my 94 Nissan Maxima GXE is getting ready to hit 100,000 Original Miles and is showing signs of a tune up being needed. I went and got a Drive ability Diagnostic Evaluation because of shaking and loss of power when driving. I was told that its due for a tune up, spark plugs, wires, filters etc... needs to come out. Anyways they're trying to charge me anywhere between 400-600 for the tune up. Honestly, I'm sort of on a money struggle living in California with no job. I just got laid off, and I'm at a point where I need to spend money wisely. Anyways, I was on ebay and I found a tune up kit for $163.78, I would like to know by ordering this kit would I be saving money by paying a local shop to install? Also is there anything else I should replace besides whats in this kit? Such as hoses, fluids, should I get a transmission flush? Radiator flush? Please let me know. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0133804707

Tune Up Kit Nissan Maxima 1989-1994 VG30E SOHC
Includes:
* oil filter
* fuel filter
* air filter
* PCV valve
* distributor cap
* ignition rotors
* six NGK spark plugs
* NGK spark plug wires

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

There's really no need to pay anyone to do the work for you. Even if you're not mechanically inclined, it's all really easy work. The toughest part is not forgetting which wires go where. The distributor cap and rotor are cake...just pop off that plastic ECCS cover and remove a few screws. You should be able to replace everything in the kit you posted in a half hour (ignoring the oil filter, which I'd ignore anyway unless it's actually time for an oil change).

I'd be willing to bet the shaking and loss of power is due to a cracked distributor cap.

mcurran22
Car: 93 Maxima Gxe

163.78 sounds really expensive for those parts. Just go to autozone and get the same things

Jay85

MinisterofDOOM wrote:There's really no need to pay anyone to do the work for you. Even if you're not mechanically inclined, it's all really easy work. The toughest part is not forgetting which wires go where. The distributor cap and rotor are cake...just pop off that plastic ECCS cover and remove a few screws. You should be able to replace everything in the kit you posted in a half hour (ignoring the oil filter, which I'd ignore anyway unless it's actually time for an oil change).

I'd be willing to bet the shaking and loss of power is due to a cracked distributor cap.
Do I have to do anything specifically for the spark plugs? or is it a easy pop out and screw back in type deal? Also should I replace all fluids? thanks for the response.

Jay85

Also is there any PDF guide on the internet that can walk me through how to do the tune up? thanks.

goody90q45
Car: 1992 Q45 (sold)

Yes. Drain and fill all the fluids.

Buy a turkey baster (or borrow yours from the kitchen) and suck out the brake and power steering fluid reservoirs and refill with clean fluid. Do this every couple of days for a few times and you'll see a noticeable difference in the cleanliness of the fluids and rubber seals will go a lot longer without leaking. Replace the differential fluid with synthetic (< 2 qts.) but make sure the top fill plug comes out before removing the drain plug. You can do a drain and fill with the tranny fluid ($10/gallon at WalMart) and after about 5 cycles you'll have nearly clean fluid. Engine oil and filter are no-brainers but I like to do the tranny drain and fill every time I change engine oil.

Spark plugs should be a breeze. It's no different than any other vehicle. Spray plug threads with lubricant/penetrant for easier installation and to avoid cross-threading. Spend all the money you're saving by doing it yourself on a socket set and hand tools from Sears, probably less than $100. Good luck.

Jay85

Thanks for the response, are you able to tell me where the fuel filter is located at?

Midnight Tech
Car: 86.5 D21
84 Maxima

Fuel filter should be in a clip attached to the firewall.
Get a tube of antiseize and put a dab on the threads of your new plugs before installing. If you use NGK plugs, they should come already gapped for your Maxima.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”