'94 Maxima digital Temp display panel intermittent. Why?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
canucklehead
Car: 1994 Nissan Maxima GXE

I have a '94 Maxima and my blower motor,temperature controls, A/C and heat all work. BUT, the green LCD digital dash display often does not display well enough to see. Sometimes it's fine, but most of the time it's either too faded or not displaying at all.

Do i need to replace this, or is there some other reason for this? I just replaced the resistor (reo-stat) for my blower motor, but this display was acting up way before that. Anyone else ever have issues with their's?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

It's not likely related to any other problems. Display failures on those early Nissan climate control systems were pretty common. You probably just need to either replace the climate control unit or have it rebuilt.

canucklehead

yeah, the 2 potential matches at the wrecker had the display units gone.

how can these be rebuilt???Is it a DIY project?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I believe the rebuild procedure is replacement of bad electronics. Fine PCB soldering. Probably replacement of LEDs or ICs I'd guess. http://www.jerrytucker.net/ rebuilds them.

Also remember that a lot of Nissan climate control units were used in a wide range of models (Nissan and Infiniti), so don't restrict yourself to Maximas when looking for replacements. You may even be able to swap to a different control unit (most were the same size/shape) if the connectors match...not sure on that one. The equipment involved is interchangeable, though (variable resistor, sun sensor, etc.) so the control units may be as well.

I believe that some control units are "full-depth" (full DIN like a radio) and some are very shallow (less than an inch deep, just the "face"). Not sure if that makes any difference in intercompatibility beyond fitment or not, though.

canucklehead

thanks MOD. I noticed there are some little illumination bulbs on the PCB. Nissan wants $8 each for 4 of them, and $11 each for the other 2. How can you guess it's an OEM part only!! Anyways, that still doesn't fix the LCD display.

I bumped into a guy at the junkyard and he told me that on Maxima.org, somebody posted a fix for this. Apparently the capacitors burn out. I know some capacitors have tiny rubber o-rings that eventually dry & crack and then the capacitor juice pukes out. he said either solder it myself or get a TV repair type place to do it.

I got a used one for $20. LCD is just as weak as mine, and 5 of the 6 illumination bulbs were burnt out. Thanks for the link on the rebuild guy.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”