92 D21 KA24E Timing Insanity!

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Minnyman
Car: 92 Nissan D21 Pick-up

Hello all! Im new to this forum, but it seems the best and most informative one i've seen. Tried the google nissan group thing but no one would answer me

On to my troubles.

The timing guide broke on my truck, Im not much of a mechanic so i let it sit for a little while (7 months... ). Finally tried to fix it cause i'm a poor college student.

Everything seemed fine lined it all up, silver links on chain to dots on sprockets, TDC on both shafts etc. Started it and it runs but when i try to go it stalls out.

Now the insane part, Ive replaced dist/cap/plugs/fuel pressure reg/oil & fuel filter/vacuum lines and probably more i cant remember...as i've said im not much of a mechanic lol. Still runs the same.

The first time i did not replace the timing chain or sprockets and thought maybe i lined them up wrong so...I did it again and put in a new chain and sprockets. still runs the same.

For some reason I was under the assumption that you could not adjust the timing and that it was controlled by the ECU thing under the seat. I think this is my problem as after reading here i see all kinds of threads about adjusting the timing via a gun and turning the distrubutor.

My question now is that what is wrong and if so what is the degrees for this vehicle because my panel on the hood is long gone?

Lastly if that is the problem i may cry a little due to doing all the extra work.

Thanks-Minnyman

Minnyman

Well I bought a timing light/RPM tool, hooked it up and saw the timing marks were way off to the right. I moved the distributor all the way counterclockwise and it stalled so I moved it all the way clockwise and was able to drive it down the street but the timing marks dont line up.

there is the -5..0..5..10..15..20, but when i move the distruitor all the way clockwise its at like -10 or so, theres no marks so im not sure.

when driving it it was a little sluggish in first gear but it hasnt moved in 8 months.

I am thinking maybe the oil pump is off by one gear tooth.

I have no idea.

Maybe its time to put her down!

*Loads shotgun...

Minnyman

Woot got it running finally, turns out the oil pump was off one gear tooth, running like a champ now, just need the stock timing degrees and idle speed and im all set.

lchingon

Maybe you can help, I replaced the timing chain also on a 1990 KA24E (after tearing apart the whole engine down to the block). After I put the timing cover back on the thing misses randomly. Runs ok but at idle it will just misfire. The oil pump is driving by the crankshaft and spins with the distributer. How can you adjust it? I posted a question on this website as Lchingon, any help would be really appreciated. thx,

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”