91 Q45 Intermittent will crank but wont start.

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
NinjaClyde
Car: 1991 Q45

I got my Q45 a couple weeks ago, it start fine most of the time, but every now and then it will crank but not start. I am pretty sure its because the security system keeps engaging thus preventing the car from starting. I really don't need a security system so i was wondering if there is any easy way of disabling it. In terms of wiring skill, I am easily capable of installing a radio, so identifying and soldering wires. Though I am unable to read the wiring diagrams I could find on this car to understand what would need to be done in order to bypass this system.

So, in summary, what wires can I connect so the car will just see everything as fine with the security system?

PS: I really don't need the system to work, I live in a place where people are known not just to leave cars unlocked, but also with the key in the ignition, car running, and door wide open.
Last edited by NinjaClyde on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

factory security system does not allow starter to even crank,I think your problem lies elsewhere.

NinjaClyde

Ok, well do you know what could cause this issue. i have tried to test for flooding by fully depressing the accelerator pedal. I have checked all fuses including unplugging and plugging them in to see if they were loose. I will post again later this evening after i check the plugs and injectors. other than that is there something else worth checking that might cause this type of issue?

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:welcome: to NICO!

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you first turn the key to the on position? Pump and controller failure is fairly common.

Heath

NinjaClyde

Thanks, I do hear the pump, but it is really noisy compared to most fuel pumps. Could that mean its going bad?

I also just realized it is supposed to use 91 octane fuel and i put in regular 87 octane. I haven't run it on it because once I filled it is when it wouldn't start. I got a bottle octane booster to try to fix that, but still that shouldn't be the case of it not starting, right?

The car did sit for a while before I got it I did think maybe when I filled the tank it shook loose some junk from the bottom of the tank and clogged the filter(s).

To me it seems more like an electrical issue though. I wasn't able to do much last night cause i accidentally left something on and drained the battery.

NinjaClyde

ok, I finally got around to pulling out the spark plugs, and I think it was a combination between a bad ground for the coils and old spark plugs. Only time will tell now if that really was the issue.

marcyprojects
Car: 90 300zx, 170K
03 Pathfinder SE 160k

Def update on the results. Interested to see where this goes. Having a similar issue with my 93 event though the fuel system has been overhauled. Mine needs a long crank ( 5-7 seconds) after sitting overnight or for more than a couple hours. still fires up fine after, been told its due to injectors leaking fuel but not sold on that idea.

NinjaClyde

Well, I thought I would add an update. I was still have a starting issue where it would crank for a while then finally start and it was because the crank angle sensor connector was loose. Now though with all the cranking I was doing with the bad ignition system I may have killed my starter or at least the starter solenoid.

PS: I think i will install hood struts on all future cars I get from now on because having them is just so nice.

marcyprojects
Car: 90 300zx, 170K
03 Pathfinder SE 160k

NinjaClyde wrote:Well, I thought I would add an update. I was still have a starting issue where it would crank for a while then finally start and it was because the crank angle sensor connector was loose. Now though with all the cranking I was doing with the bad ignition system I may have killed my starter or at least the starter solenoid.

PS: I think i will install hood struts on all future cars I get from now on because having them is just so nice.

thats good info. thx. Ill def be checking that out. My car has actually been starting well the last couple of days. Its also been really warm here too. soo weird

NinjaClyde

I thought this would be worth mentioning, I was having intermittent issues with it not turning over until recently it wouldn't turn over at all. When I checked everything it seemed to be fine. I could hear and feel the blue starter relay clicking, so I ruled that out, and pulled the starter out to see if the starter solenoid stopped working. The starter tested fine, so I put it all back in and still didn't work.

Turned out that blue relay although it was clicking it wasn't actually connecting. I just ran a wire between the larger wires (white/black and black/red if I remember right). So I will replace that soon. I will let you know if any other issue still exists afterward.

NinjaClyde

Ok, now I have a new issue. It wont start when the car is warm. The engine turns over but wont fire. It could be that the spark plugs aren't firing when its hot, but I can't think of a way of testing that, because it takes so long to pull the plugs that the engine would cool off before I could test them. Any idea's? Either for the problem or how to test that.

NinjaClyde

I found out the issue, it was just the engine temperature sensor. i just hooked up 300 ohms to it and it started fine when it was hot. so i just ran some speaker cables around and hooked it up to a switch and drove it around like that for a few days. Then one day i was driving and tick, tick, tick... It was the timing chain slapping the guides. i was waiting till i worked out the kinks before i changed the timing chain guides, but i tried to take it easy and slowly drive home. About a mile from my house it broke, so now the car is pretty much dead.

So anyone want parts? I don't really care about the value of what it is? instead i will charge based on how easy or difficult it is to remove. then ship with flat rate boxes.

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

Any pictures of the car? Does it have Active Suspension?

NinjaClyde

Sorry, its just the basic suspension. I will take pictures of particular things if people want, but i have slow internet so i would rather not have to upload more than i have to.

mrerick01
Car: Q45

Do any know how I can find the 2345 thermostat housing please help

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”