77 datsun 280z

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
camarokid
Car: 1986 Nissan 300zx
1997 Chevy Camaro
1982 Chevy Camaro
1969 Chevy Nova

so theres a 1977 Datsun 280z thats for sale about 100 miles away. he's accepting offers but it doesn't have a title and needs the interior so I was wonder what I should offer for it and if anyone has the title for a totaled Z with the vin plate that I could possibly buy. heres the actual ad http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4352150810.html
so what do you guys think?

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

If you are thinking about putting it back on the road, the first thing I'd do is to contact your DMV about a replacement title. Some states will issue new titles on a Bill of Sale. If the car was legally seized for non-payment of rent or a mechanics lien, the current owner will not have a title to convey. So the question is whether he can document his ownership in a way that will satisfy the DMV. If he cannot demonstrate ownership, its value is limited to that of a parts car.

As for value, you will have to find a set of wheels and tires to get it off the blocks. "It was running when parked." is one of the most useless statements in the automotive world. Considering its non-running condition, I wouldn't offer more than $400 and then only if it could be re-titled. You would be out a set of wheels, tires and starter before you get a chance to check the engine.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Getting the title in KY would be an issue. Unless you need parts from it or plan to make it a track only car, it's worth scrap value, which is around $300. he said he wouldn't sell for scrap so he thinks it's worth more than it is. If it's rusted underneath it's absolutely not worth more than scrap. The drivetrain has little value beyond scrap unless you happen to need a dishtop block in unknown condition, a P79 hear (junk) a weak 4 speed, or an open diff. the mustache bar might be worth a few bucks, if the brake drums are good they are worth a few bucks otherwise it's scrap value.

camarokid
1997 Chevy Camaro
1982 Chevy Camaro
1969 Chevy Nova

and if it starts and I only have $700-800 into it with a title would it be a good deal? it looks pretty clean in the pictures with out the usual rust in the bottom of the fenders and quarter panels.

if you look at the ad the car is in denver and I've found the form I need to get a title for it since it was left in storage.

djwarner
2006 350Z

Re-reading the ad, he is asking $650. Assume you can get it for $400 and have a minimum of $400 more to make it roadable. Here is a short list of things you will need to get within this budget:

4 wheels, tires, and lug nuts
battery
starter
Ignition lock/keys
front seats
all fluids drained and flushed
trailer trip back home

While a variety of seats can be made to fit, other things like Z wheels are not that common. Ebay can be a reasonable source for starters and ignition locks. Anyway you look at it, you are at or beyond you limit with these few items. And then where are you?

Looks like you would be at least $600 into it before you even tried to turn the engine over. Whoever owned the thing before decided to cash out by selling the wheels and seats. What did he know that you don't? And supposedly, he knew whether the engine ran and what a running car was worth before he did it.

If you were looking for a basis for developing a track car, the body may be a good start. But for a Daily Driver, I would keep on looking.

camarokid
1997 Chevy Camaro
1982 Chevy Camaro
1969 Chevy Nova

when it comes to older cars in denver either A: people have no clue what they have or B: think its worth more then it is or C: got it because it was cool but have no idea how to maintain it

I think someone thought it was cool when they got but it took more work then they could put up with and abandoned it or someone stole the wheels and seats so they could sell them for $$$.

djwarner
2006 350Z

Thieves don't usually leave the vehicle on blocks.

As for this car, "ya pays ya money and takes ya choice."

I suppose that even if the engine is shot, and if the body is otherwise sound, you could sell it as a "roller" and get some or all of your money back.

Which ever way you go, good luck.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”