720 Front Brake Hose Replacement Thread

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
fastboatman29212
Car: left this forum. Sold my truck.

You might want to consider rebuilding your front brake calipers, replacing the rotors, or installing new bearings while you have the front wheels off for this easy repair.

You can now find all of my 720 repairs posted on a separate website. Link = http://www.720NissanTrucks.weebly.com.

Last edited by fastboatman29212 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

I'm lovin these man... good work!

drumaniac3000
Car: 1986 720 4x4

Awesome write up, getting ready to do all of the lines on my truck. This will definitely help.

86 720
Car: 1986 720 4cyl Standard Cab

Do you know what the brake line part number is for the body to frame brake line is? I can't seem to find a replacement hose for that on the passenger side.

fastboatman29212

The removal of the clip that holds the hose fitting to the bracket is a bit hard to describe. Basically it slides off, kinda like a "C" clip. Just don't try to pry it off!

fastboatman29212

86 720 wrote:Do you know what the brake line part number is for the body to frame brake line is? I can't seem to find a replacement hose for that on the passenger side.
I will check and get back to you.

fastboatman29212

86 720 wrote:Do you know what the brake line part number is for the body to frame brake line is? I can't seem to find a replacement hose for that on the passenger side.
OK, I think you are asking about the hydraulic flexible brake hose that connects the engine compartment hard brake line to the frame hard brake line, right?

This photo shows the hose through the passenger side wheel well.

Anyway, Notice that the parts I have linked below have a hard line fitting on each end of the hose.

I think this link is the correct part for a 1984 - 86 2WD. part # 77253

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 66223_4988_

This is the one for a 4WD. part # 77254

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 66223_4988_
Last edited by fastboatman29212 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drumaniac3000

Nice write-up, always helps to have lots of pictures before you start a job.

Question for you- I have an '86 4x4 and need new brake lines all around. Does anyone know if the 4x4 model has the mirrored image ends on the caliper? I picked up a couple lines from O'reilly the other day and they don't quite match up with the two in your write up. I looked at the existing lines on the truck and the new ones I got seem to be slightly different and possibly the incorrect length. Every picture I see online is a generic picture or at a crappy angle.

Can anyone provide some direction on the lines for a 4x4?

Thanks

fastboatman29212

I'd bet a nickel that the brake hose caliper fittings for the 4X4 trucks are the same as the 2X4 trucks, mirror images. The design is pretty nice and it will only allow you to connect the hose to the caliper with the correct orientation. The bolt hole won't line up any other way. Needless to say, when you buy new brake hoses, make sure you keep track of which hose is for the DS and which is for the PS! I marked my old hoses with DS and PS when I took them off the truck so I could compare them with the parts store hoses, right there at the counter before I purchased. As far as I am aware, there are only 2 other brake hoses on the truck, one from the engine compartment to the frame hard line and another from the frame line to the rear axle hard line. My photo with the arrows in an earlier post is actually pointing at the fuel line, but the brake hose is just in front of that. I'll fix my earlier post later today.

drumaniac3000

Replaced the front pads yesterday and the brake lines are definitely different than the ones I picked up from O'Reilly's. Where did you get your brake lines from?

I'm thinking about somewhere like rockauto.com but don't want to run the risk of getting the wrong part and having to eat shipping costs.

fastboatman29212

I ordered from Advance Auto and had them shipped to the store. The little "bump" was not on the hose fitting but the flat spots were correct and the "bump" really is not important. I hope that helps.

Return to “Datsun 720”