720 Alternator Replacement Thread - 2WD model

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
fastboatman29212
Car: left this forum. Sold my truck.

I imagine that most of you can change an alternator. However, I hope this thread will help someone in the future who has never done it before, like me!

You can now find all of my 720 repairs posted on a separate website. Link = http://www.720NissanTrucks.weebly.com.

Last edited by fastboatman29212 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

86 720
Car: 1986 720 4cyl Standard Cab

Good write up!

I noticed your alternator wiring is slightly different than mine. For some reason there are 2 different alternator molex connections one can get, so people should make sure they get the correct molex connector for their truck. Mine was the "T" molex connection. Also make sure to double check the lower bolts in a month to ensure tightness.

fastboatman29212

86 720 wrote:Also make sure to double check the lower bolts in a month to ensure tightness.
I drove to buy gas after the install. It wasn't until AFTER I got back that I realized I had only finger tightened the 17mm bolts. Luckily, they were still there! LOL! Whew!

Good advice! Thanks for the tips!

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

i'm going to add this to the DIY thread... thanks man!

VargasE

Hi, I noticed in the picture of the new alternator that there is a small black wire attached to the alternator. It appears that this wire is also connected to the 10mm nut. Is this how it should be set up before attaching the black and white wires to the alternator? I am trying to wire the alternator for a 1985 engine, and have been stuck on this issue for some time....help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Estan

fastboatman29212

I'm not gonna be able to help much here. I am not sure what the function of that little black wire is. It may be a ground for an internal part, but I really don't know. The alternator you have might also be slightly different than the one in my post, so I'd just recommend reconnecting everything like in the post and if there is an extra wire, just leave it where it is.

dayid
Car: 1986 720

@VargasE: Presuming that the "small black wire" you're talking about has a capacitor on it and looks something like this: Image

If so, that's just to help arrest some of the whine from the alternator that will come through on the radio. My late 10/85 built '86 has it also.

This is from a tractor, but shows it a little better being in place:

If this doesn't clear it up I'll try and remember to get a picture of mine (was surprised I'd not taken one before apparently).

Return to “Datsun 720”