72 240z resto

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
Big Ben
Car: 12 F150
72 240Z

Thought I would share this here as well. Bear with the thread a little as this is copied from another forum:
Its a 1972 Datsun 240z. Here is the back story:

I had previously owned this car back in 2007. Bought it from my old man. Ended up having to sell it about 6 months later due to having to buy a DD and move for work. Here is what it looked like when I sold it:
Triples...

I sold the car to a good friend of mine that year with the deal that he would sell it back to me if he ever sold it. Well for the last 3 years we have been in the process of a deal...yes 3 years. It took some time for me to get it back out of him. Now, he has a completely different taste when it comes to these cars. The triple webers that were on it were in need of a rebuild. Instead of a rebuild, he put a 4 barrel holley on there....definitely not my first choice and really wouldnt even be my last. I give him s*** now and for the last 5 years since he has did it. He regretted doing it. So besides putting the holley on he also put a body kit on it... again definitely not my first choice in kits. He also put a somewhat rare Pantera hatch on it, again... not my choice either. However he did put a nice CF hood and a CF tail light panel on it. Put a new clutch with a 5 speed trans in it. Completely went through the engine, full ES bushing kit, wheels, etc. This was also his first paint job on the car. You might ask, why the hassle with it? Its 98% rust free. Never been in salt. I have to do a small patch in the floor board and thats it. These Z's are hard to find with out frame rail rot. They are notorious for the front frames near the firewall to rot out. You can fix this, but it is a f*** pain in the a** and you need to be extremely careful with measurements and welding.

Also suspension for it should be here Monday. Going with a simple KYB/Eibach/ ST sway bar set up for now. I was going to do coilovers, but they are a little tricky in these cars. Also I am working on a deal with a set of triple Mikuni's carbs. Holley's have no place on a Z and should be kept to V8's.  I will post up pics as I go. Here is how the car sits as of now:

[/quote]

Big Ben
72 240Z

The start...
Body kit gone!
Onto sanding...
Here is where we stopped:
Work in progress!

Big Ben
72 240Z

More progress! Stripped the 7...old paint layers off of the car. I did find quiet a few dings, dents and some s*** repairs that were made. Did find a little rust, but not much. Here are the pics of the progress up to this point and the damaged areas.
Rust in the inner well on the drivers side.
I have both rear quarters/wheel wells on order along with a few other patch panels.

Big Ben
72 240Z

Well there is the last few weeks of progress...
Windows, fenders and trim off/
Quarters cut out

Rear deck plate was rotted:

Hand fabbed the replacement panels:

Ended up finding a s*** load of rot under the drivers door sil and have to cut a chunk of that out.
Ended up having to replace both rockers, rear inner fender wells and rear quarters. This week marked the tipping point as we start putting it back together this week. Here is the metal:

Big Ben
72 240Z

UPDATE!
All rust repair done.Quarters are done. Rough mud work is done. First layer of primer is done. I am in process of sanding down both door and the hood(stock). The rest of the parts(fenders, doors and hood) will be in primer this weekend. Have to block down the primer, put glazing mud on and sand, prime again and then block again. Should be in paint in the next couple weeks!

Big Ben
72 240Z

Getting closer. Started blocking the primer this weekend. I have to get some finish glaze on this week, prime and block again. HOPEFULLY this weekend start painting.

Big Ben
72 240Z

PAINT!! Well the body got painted this weekend. Still have both outsides of the doors and the drivers fender to paint and then its done! Here are some pics!
Primer:
Sealer:
Paint(first coat):
Final:

Big Ben
72 240Z

Figured since it has been a few months since I have updated this I would post progress. Here is how it sits now. Engine is out, bay is stripped and its heading into the paint shop again this week. I have been slacking a little the last month or so. Its been too f*** cold to really do anything. I have been gathering a s*** load of parts. Have all new steering, suspension, brake and clutch parts. Have my bad a** new twice pipe exhaust. Along with complete new interior and all rubber seals. As soon as the bay gets painted it will be going back together. The next 2 months should come with several updates. Here are a few pics.
Need to sand it down, but its ready to be prepped:
New exhaust:
Teaser of the carbon fiber and white..:

Big Ben
72 240Z

Progress...
Frame rails stripped and POR15 Chassis save applied:
This was a large added hole at some point. Straight cut and welded in the new panel.
Engine Bay is prepped:
Primered:
Painted:

Will have more in the next few days.

Big Ben
72 240Z

Starting to come together....
Engine is about read to be dropped:

Big Ben
72 240Z

Updates!
Engine and drivetrain are in. Also replaced springs, sturts, ball joints, tie rods, master cylinder and clutch master cylinder. When I had the eninge out I resurfaced the flywheel and installed a new clutch. Installed doors and adjusted and installed the rear hatch. Went through the wire harness and put new wrap on. Semi-installed new dash cap and a bunch of other little s***. Pics!
Engine in(valve cover and other green parts will be painted a different color)
Doors on"

Big Ben
72 240Z

The above posts are the last year of the project. I will update this as I have more pics and info. Should be back on the road in the next few weeks!

@Azhitman The suspension the is in this car is off of your Z.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Looks great, although I'd have made the frame rails white like the rest of the engine bay. That green cam cover has to go. Honestly the first pic I thought it looked decent but against the white, NO! That holley and AZC manifold should sell pretty quick and likely for nearly enough for the triples. You can sell off that 80's hatch to cover the difference and then some.

Big Ben
72 240Z

I was going to spray the frame rails white as well, but I thought it played into the White/Black theme I am going for(which will be more apparent the more parts I put on). Green cam cover(and all green parts)is gone. Only reason I left it that color was they always get scratched up when you remove and install engines. I should be painting it this weekend. The body kit and pantera hatch are gone. Unless I get someone to swap me the carb/mani for a set of triples, it will have to stay for most of the summer. I may be going to a different route than an L-series next year, so if I do I will likely keep the carb set up until then.

gmac708
Car: :o)
1970 240Z
1972 510

Nice job on the Z. Loving it. :dblthumb:

Gord

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

I've seen a few cars with the black frame rails, just not my cup of tea. You might find some frustrated person tired of trying to tune and synchronize the triples willing to swap, put it out there, you might be surprised.

Big Ben
72 240Z

Getting pretty close. Drive train is in. Most of the sheet metal is bolted up. Waiting on a few parts, but its coming together!

Pics!

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Looks pretty freekin awesome if you ask me!

Big Ben
72 240Z

Here are some recent shots with it all put back togehter:
And I removed the holley and put some triples on.

Speedgato
Car: 1968 510 Wagon, 1973 240z, 1974 260z, 1975 280z, 1977 620

Very impressive work! I really like white s30s.

gmac708
1970 240Z
1972 510

Outstanding!!!! :dblthumb:

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”