3rd gen Max *without* 4 wheel discs / ABS???

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
johngalt
Car: '99 Altima (tranny dead - second time in 16 months)

Man, I knew I had read this somewhere, and I can't figure out why this seems so wrong, but....

I am now driving the 1992 Nissan Maxima GXE that I inherited from my folks after totaling my Y33 '99 Q45T, and after they bought a '07 M35. The problem I have is this:

Since I was already a member here at NICO, I started researching the current car to see what I could do with it (mainly because of the OEM 17s from the Y33 that I wanted to put on the Max). Well, I ran into this page:

http://www.maximaclub.org/previous.shtml

Quote »3rd Generation Maxima (1989 - 1994)

The third generation received a complete upgrade. The boxy look was scrapped for an new aerodynamically shaped model. The SOHC V6 was kept, but upgraded to release 160hp. The GXE only came with a 4-speed automatic, while the SE model had an optional 5sp manual. 4-wheel disk brakes were standard with optional ABS. GXE also had the optional Sonar-monitored Suspension that adjusts shock-absorber damping automatically, and a helpful heads-up instrument display. In 1992, a new 190hp DOHC V6 (VE30DE) was offered in the SE model (hence the definition change to 4DSC for "4-door Sports Car") while both had optional drivers-side airbags and ABS. [/quote]The part about the brakes makes me leery - because I was present when the car was bought (in June of '92, and yes it is a '92) and it has rear drums, not 4 wheel discs, and thus (I think) does not have ABS (which is optional, but hey, no biggie).

The bigger problem is that I told my insurance company this and they turned around and re-wrote my policy after researching the car and said I *did* have ABS on the car.

So, that leads me to 2 questions:

1) Does the fact that I have drums on the back make my car somewhat funky, or could you still order a 3rd gen as late as '92 without discs in the rear?

2) Will I be liable if the car's brakes lock up and I have a resultant accident, since *the insurance company* made the change and added ABS on the car policy after I specifically told them I did not have ABS?

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

1. No, parts catalog shows drums on 91-94 Maximas. Evidently, the posted info is wrong in this instance.

2. I would get it in writing as to why they are adding that to your policy.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Only SEs had 4 wheel discs. GXEs have drums in the rear.

johngalt

That is what I thought might be the situation - that the SEs were 4WDBs with opt ABS whereas the GXE were Disc/drum combos.

So, would it cost an arm and a leg to change out the rear drums to discs?

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

If you found a SE donor car, I don't think it would be very difficult.

PBfrEAk
Car: '00 Frontier (Newb) '92 Maxima (Daily), '93 Max (Donor), '91 Max (Project) '77 F-150 (Funmobile)

There is a pretty decent write up for swapping the drums for discs on 4dsc.com.

I plan to do it this spring along with a new paint job and suspension upgrade. Mine is a 92 also btw.

http://www.4dsc.com/articles/s...shtml

thats the link to the article.

johngalt

Thanks to the both of ya - Yah, I was hoping to find a front end totaled 3rd gen SE somewhere to do it with.

I probably want to do a suspension upgrade too as three is too much sway and roll, more so in fact than the Q had! Weird, but true....

johngalt

Quote »Automobile brakes are NOT something to screw around with, so if you're not a well-versed DIY mechanic or better, we highly recommend NOT doing this modification and leaving things up to a trusted and competent repair shop. [/quote]Glad I read it all the way through - although I am not an idiot by any means, I am also not a well versed DIY mechanic - unless it comes to auto audio - so I'll try to find someone who is willing to do it for me.

PBfrEAk
Car: '00 Frontier (Newb) '92 Maxima (Daily), '93 Max (Donor), '91 Max (Project) '77 F-150 (Funmobile)

Luckily my dad is so between the two of us we will get it done alright.

Yea mine has BAD roll and pitch. its pretty much just a set of springs between my wheels and my body. No shocks anymore LOL there soo dead.

Good luck...if you get it done before me let me know how it went!

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”