300ZX WONT START/FIRE!?

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
xakbdz32
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx N/A 3.0L V6

Im new to these forums though i have been reading for a while.. having said that i am having an issue with my car..

i recently bought this particular car bout a month ago and i new i bought a pos but i loved it.. anyway i bought it and it was only firing on 5 cylinders but it ran.. the people before me did not take car of the car the efi harness was hand spliced at the coil packs and for some reason nearly all of the clips were broken but some how the worked.. bout two weeks of driving bout 80 miles every other day.. then one day i stopped to get gas.. stoped the car put gas in it and started the car.. i stopped at the exit of the gas station and it stalled.. tried to get it started and it wouldnt go. u could smell the gas and i was getting a little bit of compression.. BUT WOULD NOT TURN OVER! the more i tried the worse the bogging got

had it towed back home and started the work..first i replaced the efi harness and two coil packs that were fried due to their clips were basically bear terminals.. changing that harness without pulling the engine isnt fun by the way.. nothing changed but it was well worth the work knowing that my wiring is in better shape..along with the efi i replaced the battery cables.. i triple checked all my connections and everything is connected and ground.. nothing changed.. read up on this forum and replaced my ptu.. nothing!

i am beginning to think that it is the starter but very unsure.. i know alot more about motorcycles but i do have an intermediate knowledge of auto mechanics and i study the car nearly every day.. either way if anyone has any ideas i am open to ideas

vape-one
Car: 1990 300zx

What is it doing now..??? After you replaced the wiring harness... http://www.300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi

xakbdz32

The same thing it was doing before I replaced the harness.. The engine will try to turn over it won't fire. I didn't check for a spark with the plugs but I replaced the ptu because from what I could hear it sounded like it wasn't getting a spark.. Even after replacing the ptu there is no change since the initial problem so Iknow it isn't wiring and it isn't the ptu.. I'm just trying to figure out what else it could be.

xakbdz32

alright new development.. the car still will not start but i ground the plugs the check for a spark and the plus DO fire.. and there is some what of a clicking noise along with the motor groaning in its attempt to start.. any suggestions?

BUTTONBOY
Car: 1991 300ZX 2+2 NA

Maybe you have a broken timing belt?

xakbdz32

The timing belt was just replaced about 3k miles back.. And I checked it just to be on the safe side and no the belt is in near perfect condition and just like it was when it was put on...

leerandallstewart
Car: 1993 300ZX, 1987 300ZX, 1988 300ZX Turbo

If the engine turns, but does not start, it is not the starter. If the plugs are getting spark, that narrows it down some. Check the Camshaft Angle Sensor (you can get a used one on ebay cheap), and then check the ecu (computer). Also, check to make sure you have fuel pressure. Spark + no fuel = a non running engine.

xakbdz32

Well I know it's not the cas I took it out and turned the rod and it worked no problem.. I don't know about the ecu but when I start the car the red light on the ecu comes on idk if that means it is working but it does come on.. And I checked for fuel pressure but pulling the hose off the exit of the fuel filter (so I could check the fuel filter) an the fitler is fine and it does pump fuel but I did not check it with a gadge..

Chase300
Car: 1990 300zx TT

Your best bet at this point is to put your ECU into diagnostic mode (turn the dial completely clockwise and then turn completely back counterclockwise) a slow blip = 1 count for the first number then quick blip = 1 count for 2nd number. Should get 5 slow ones and then 5 quickies = code 55 all good. Now if you get that and you checked for spark and assuming you did the timing belt right (because it started after) then i would assume your ignition may have a problem. if it turns over starter is good. Make sure ur battery is good. After that i would check your fuel pump. Running on low gas frequently is hard on an internal pump. If you are getting gas i would check your crank angle sensor. pull it off and when you turn the car over you should here it click. Also make sure the insert isnt loose (part going into exhaust sprocket). If thats all good make sure your timing belt is still tight. Hopefully no chance that it slipped a sprocket. Turn it over by hand and check to make sure all notches on sprocket and timing back cover line up fairly close (hopefully bang on). If that doesnt help then perhaps your fuel injectors are clogged up (chances of them all goin at the same time is near improbable).I would bet my money on the fuel pump if you got over 150K on the car.

xakbdz32

I am leaning towards the fuel pump also.. I appreciate your input thank you very much.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

you said you checked the cas, how? have you checked the ecu for codes? if no stop what you are doing and check the codes!

the very first step is to check the ecu for codes, they will tell you a lot, in checking the cas you test 2 things, one is the ignition, pull a cop and stick a screwdriver in it and place near a ground, rotate the cas and look for spark, if you have no spark it's either the cas or the ptu, if you have spark then fuel is the likely suspect, while rotating the cas use either a noid light or a lofic probe to determine if the injectors are getting signal, yoiu said you pulled the fuel ose and you didn't specify but it should come out at a high rate if not then the pump or fpcm would be suspect

xakbdz32

Ok checked my ecu and got a 55 so it's fine.. Just replaced my fuel pump and I know it is working cuz it is brand new and I can hear it running when I turn the car on I replaced my fuel filter but I still haven't checked the pressure it self but what could afftect the pressure so much..?! I pourd raw fuel into the intake and it actally tried to kick and hasn't since just cranks but won't get fuel... I am stumped..

navy911t

When you check the crank angle sensor you have to take it off the engine and then turn the key with out starting the engine. Turn it to the point right before the eng would turn over...Then take the crank angle sensor in you hand with the wiring harness still conected and turn the shaft slowley like your trying to crack a safe...You should then hear each fuel inj turning on as you turn the shaft...If you don't hear that then you sensor is bad...But if you hear a few work and some don't then some of the inj are bad....Have fun

armywill84
Car: 1995 nissan 300zx N/A 2+2

One way of checking fuel pressure is to turn the key to the on position let the pump do it thing and then disconnect the fuel hose from the inlet fuel tube wear eye pro when you do this because if you good pressure that fuel will go every where in not you will have to inspect the entire line for crimps or cinks your fuel line are metal and run along the chase make sure you didnt jack the car up and hit one of those lines.

mn300zx
Car: 1986 300zx turbo and 1979 fairlady 280z

Ignition coil relay: I have a '90 n/a it would smell like gas, turn over and sounded like she wanted to start but wouldnt, I brought it to the dealer to find that out. Total bill : $320. Part Cost: $50

z32partsmo
Car: 1990 z32 NA 2 seater

Dude Im having this same problem where is the ignition coil relay located?

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”