300zx Water Pump installation

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
foober251

For any one who's done it recently.

Meineke just quoted me 300 for labor on a water pump installation.
91 300zx NA

I think that was outrageous for a "Warrantied" install. The previous water pump they installed for me died in 10.5 months.

I figure for 300 bucks I might as well learn how todo it, and buy the tools necessary for the installation. Im going to start taking everything apart this weekend and work on it a lil everyday. However I need some help. Ill write down my steps that I plan to take now but I will notate anything I need help on.

There are a few how to's online which I will of course read up on, however,

What parts do I need to remove/install everything, if I had NO tools whatsoever (I do I just want to make sure I have all I need)

And, what is the alternator belt model, I can't seem to find it online to purchase.

grk nickafis
Car: Current: 2005 Subaru STI.
(Former)1991 300zx NA 2+0
Project: 1998 Eclipse GST 6 bolt swap

i paid 900 because they wouldn't do it without a timing belt kit and you might as well do it all.

If you want to do it urself...

Take all your belts off, clutch fan and crank pulley.

Take off the water pipes and ptu and intakes (if you havent already)

Take off all the timing belt covers, both tops and the bottom.

Then unbolt ur water pump after all your fluid has been drained.

Replace gasket/sealant and install.

Then put it back together.

grk nickafis
Car: Current: 2005 Subaru STI.
(Former)1991 300zx NA 2+0
Project: 1998 Eclipse GST 6 bolt swap

Call autozone and say "I need an alternator belt" its easier and probably the same price as online. or go on autozone.com buy fluid while ur there

U'll need 12mm, 10mm, 9mm, 14mm, pliers, catch bucket for the fluid. Maybe a few other things that i forgot but you'll figure it out. just start doing it and dont get over whelmed becuase it's easier than it sounds

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

IMHO, if you're doing the water pump, you should probably do the timing belt service as well. How many miles on your Z?

My suggestions for sourcing a 120K or 60K kit:

Tools, you'll need a full socket set, 1/2" breaker bar, allen keys, metric wrenches, torque wrenches...

Fill out your profile to find members who are nearby who may be interested in helping you out.

Here's the guide for the 60K, 120K service
Last edited by BigTDogg (MA) on Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrazedZ32Owner
Car: 91 Z32 TT(no motor), 2008 350Z Nismo, 05 Pontiac Sunfire speed machine!!! :)

http://www.twinturbo.net/ttnettech/rebuild/rebuild.aspx

everything you need to know about a water pump install and a timing belt install is literally in that link

BigTDogg (MA)

CrazedZ32Owner wrote:http://www.twinturbo.net/ttnettech/rebuild/rebuild.aspx

everything you need to know about a water pump install and a timing belt install is literally in that link
Close, but that's reassembling an engine. Lil more involved than a water pump :)

foober251

I did the timing belt back in may and they recommended todo my water pump. And go figure the water pump dies. I only paid 540. Now they are trying to make me pay 300 just to redo the water pump.

Do I need to remove the crank pulley? I don't have a tool for that, buy or borrow from the zone?

foober251

ODO shows 158k, but i think im closer to 170k, anyone know how to fix an intermittent odo haha.

foober251

Have had the car for 7 years, lots of problems.

Need todo steering rack bushings (purchased the energy suspension)
tension rod/control arm bushings (planning on purchasings the energy suspenion ones as well)
driver side door lock clip needs to be replaced, i have to unlock passenger side to open the driver side door, lol
bad sensor/dirty sensor somewhere, causing the car to shut down on the 50mph + while coasting. (Not sure exactly which sensor yet)

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

No need to remove crank pulley for a water pump R&R. It can stay there while the belts are off ;)

BigTDogg (MA)

So you had a shop do the t-belt. Do you have a list of the parts they replaced? I recently found out if it's not a specialty shop, doing the t-belt could be as minimal as changing the timing belt, which could spell disaster. Not to scare you or anything. At a minimum, the tensioner and two idler pulleys should be changed as well.

Just the water pump, I think grk nickafis pretty much nailed it. For non-OEM belts, I've found Gates and Goodyear to be best.

Also please add your location, and car type and year to your profile so it's easier for us to help you :). I know of many members in various cities and Z specialty shops as well. Even dealers aren't reliable service points for these cars, as many techs there have never even worked on a Z32.

For the crank pulley puller, you can get it from autozone or whatever on loan. But as Ace mentioned, it can stay on for a water pump swap out. So can the lower timing cover, by default.

Your bad sensor could be your MAF, which may need to be cleaned or replaced. Replaced they're about $430 new from Nissan, but Specialty Z sells quality used ones for about $150. Is your check engine light on? Did you do an ECU diagnostic to see if it's throwing any codes? Twinturbo.net has the diagnostic in their Tech pages section. Dunno if it's on here, but it may be as well.

Speedo and Odo intermittent fix

Also, be sure to put some rags below the water pump to prevent coolant from getting on the timing belt.

foober251

Bad news, stripped one of the timing belt cover screws, anyone know where I can get another one? Gotta figure out how to get the screw out as well.

BigTDogg (MA)

es.biggs
Car: 1990 300ZX 5sp NA

I thought I had to remove the lower timing cover to do the WP...can't remember you guys are probably right haha. If you want to go crazy about keeping the coolant off the timing belt...you could do this:

^^what a ricer^^

And that's BS you having to pay labor on a water pump that's not even a year old. They shouldn't make you eat it, it's their screwup, or it's a bad part they put on the car. You didn't do anything wrong!

BigTDogg (MA)

es.biggs wrote:If you want to go crazy about keeping the coolant off the timing belt...you could do this:

BigTDogg (MA) wrote:Also, be sure to put some rags below the water pump to prevent coolant from getting on the timing belt.
Yes, I just quoted my self, lol
es.biggs wrote:And that's BS you having to pay labor on a water pump that's not even a year old. They shouldn't make you eat it, it's their screwup, or it's a bad part they put on the car. You didn't do anything wrong!
Exactly, I'd speak to the location owner. Especially given it's warrantied and less than a year.

foober251

I agree on all fronts, down with Meineke.

Got tired of looking at the stripped screw, and the cover, so I just tore off the cover, pick a part for the win. I'll get the stripped out screw with a screw extractor later.

Another problem, as I tore off the timing cover, I ripped the circle seal for the hole in the timing cover, wtf is that thing called so I Can go buy another one, or perhaps pick a part will have that too.

Still trying to figure out where the locking bolt for the AC pump? The one above the the alternator is. I can't seem to get it to loosen so I can untighten the belt.

BigTDogg (MA)

foober251 wrote:I agree on all fronts, down with Meineke.

Got tired of looking at the stripped screw, and the cover, so I just tore off the cover, pick a part for the win. I'll get the stripped out screw with a screw extractor later.

Another problem, as I tore off the timing cover, I ripped the circle seal for the hole in the timing cover, wtf is that thing called so I Can go buy another one, or perhaps pick a part will have that too.

Still trying to figure out where the locking bolt for the AC pump? The one above the the alternator is. I can't seem to get it to loosen so I can untighten the belt.

Above the alternator is the Power Steering pump (PS). You have to rotate the pulley to get a (14mm IIRC) socket on it to loosen the pivot bolt, then you can adjust the tension

The hole in the driver side timing cover is for the CAS (Crank Angle Sensor) and you can get one from a pick-a-part or another great source for used parts is a guy by the name of Bernie. http://www.yugobernie.com/inventory.html He has way more than what's listed, and his email is at the bottom. Tell him Tony sent you :) He may not sell just the seal, as it's a super cheap part, but he might, you never know. He's a great source for used and new parts, and also a certified Z-genius. Additionally, he's super booked up with Z-work on the side, so he may not be able to reply super indepth to big questions, so it's best to always do you research first.

Invest in a set of bolt extractors, you'll thank me later.

Something like this is priceless for removing old stubborn bolts.

es.biggs

If he doesn't have one, you can get a timing cover gasket set from RockAuto -

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2648146

mkhoid
Car: 1995 Fairlady Z

rockauto also has some of the idler pulleys that has the same p/n on their pulleys as the OEM ones for half the price..

BigTDogg (MA)

mkhoid wrote:rockauto also has some of the idler pulleys that has the same p/n on their pulleys as the OEM ones for half the price..
But they're not OEM Nissan parts. Just sayin. Just because it has the same P/N doesn't mean it's OEM. That's just for cross reference. For something as critical as timing belt pulleys, IMHO/IME, new Nissan OEM only. Especially since they're only replaced every 60K miles.

es.biggs

BigTDogg (MA) wrote:For something as critical as timing belt pulleys, IMHO/IME, new Nissan OEM only.
+ A GAZILLION

foober251

Update

Parts came in.

Got off all belts, top right timing cover. Everythings ready to be installed, HOWEVER

I can't get the bottom timing cover off, I've removed all the screws however I think the crank is in the way, I heard you can remove the cover without removing the pulley, but I am having issues. I have a 91 NA, am i doomed?

BigTDogg (MA)

foober251 wrote:Update

Parts came in.

Got off all belts, top right timing cover. Everythings ready to be installed, HOWEVER

I can't get the bottom timing cover off, I've removed all the screws however I think the crank is in the way, I heard you can remove the cover without removing the pulley, but I am having issues. I have a 91 NA, am i doomed?
To remove lower cover, yes, need to remove the crank pulley. Put it in 5th, pull ebrake and break the bolt loose then pull the pulley off.

However, IIRC, you don't need to remove the lower cover to remove the water pump.

foober251

How do I get to the bottom bolts of the water pump

foober251

Oof, im having a lot of trouble now, seems theres a screw that is behind one of the water pipes that I Cant get off......

About to just give up lol, anyone in socal wnana come take a look?

es.biggs

use an allen/hex head socket and a ratchet.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

es.biggs wrote:use an allen/hex head socket and a ratchet.
How I did it too.

trandana
Car: 300zx 1990 TT

I would stay away from Meineke. They know that they are doing but they tend to cut corners
by putting in cheaper parts. That is probably why your last water pump died so fast. You might squeeze by with your average civic
but I would never take a 300zx there.
Think about it...$20 oil change? sounds a bit cheap to you doesn't it?

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Zombie thread is here to eat your brain ZUAHAHAA

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”