300zx oil pressure

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
sdkid123
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx NA

Hey guys recently I haves noticed that oil pressure gas been jumping around sometimes it reads 10 other times 43 other times 0 and when I drive it it reads 30 could this be my oil pressure sensor or is it something else? Thanks

marty1mc
Car: 1990 300zx TT - Z owner since 2003

It will move around normally. It read higher when the motor is cold, lower when hot at the same rpm. Also, idle will be significantly lower than at 3000 rpm. Mine reads a little above 30 at steady speed around town, so it doesn't sound like you have a problem.

jeffbball2002
Car: 1994 300zx tt

I would say that you should never experience pressure as low as 0 but since the stock oil pressure gauge tends to be inaccurate the only way to know for sure what you have is to have an external one. I have experienced this and my two solutions were a belt and the oil pressure sender unit. I had one belt that would squeal after a 120k job but only when cold for like 5 seconds and then never again so I didn't worry about the belt to much. After a while the oil pressure would do the same thing, stay at 0, sometimes have pressure but not often. Once I had another new belt put on the oil pressure was fixed... Well kinda this new belt I have started squealing and the oil pressure started to do the same thing again. There is however that oil pressure sender unit (sensor) that I was mentioning that is right next to the oil filter. I have a feeling that mine is just bad and once I replace it things will go back to normal

Z31toZ32
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

jeffbball2002 wrote:I had one belt that would squeal after a 120k job but only when cold for like 5 seconds and then never again so I didn't worry about the belt to much. After a while the oil pressure would do the same thing, stay at 0, sometimes have pressure but not often. Once I had another new belt put on the oil pressure was fixed... Well kinda this new belt I have started squealing and the oil pressure started to do the same thing again.
:wtf2:

jeffbball2002
Car: 1994 300zx tt

Z31toZ32 wrote:
jeffbball2002 wrote:I had one belt that would squeal after a 120k job but only when cold for like 5 seconds and then never again so I didn't worry about the belt to much. After a while the oil pressure would do the same thing, stay at 0, sometimes have pressure but not often. Once I had another new belt put on the oil pressure was fixed... Well kinda this new belt I have started squealing and the oil pressure started to do the same thing again.
:wtf2:
yea don't know why or how that would effect it or anything. I just know that it happened to me and my Z, very weird...

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

... A belt would never have anything to do with your oil pressure. EVER. Guaranteed.

OP, it's either the sending unit or the gauge cluster. With mine, I'm pretty sure it's the cluster, because when mine goes low, it reads about 1/2 of what it normally does, and when I turn the headlights on, then back off, it 9 times out of 10 fixes it! LOL. I also replaced the sending unit with a brand new Nissan OEM one, so that's kinda ruled out. Best thing to do would be to hook up an external gauge to monitor the pressure.

dudewtf
Car: 1990 300zx N/A 2+0

hmm mine bugged out and went from 30 psi to zero when i hit the throttle to get on the freeway. i was freeking out cause i thought my car was starving.

it then went back to normal later that day.

also i have a problem now two weeks later. my oil pressure has sky rocketed from 15-30psi street speed to 60psi

highway is 60psi cruising at 70 mph at 2400RPM

when in park the psi jumps past 90 at i think 5k rpm

the car runs smooth but im freeking out here because overall the gauge has been perfect till these last 3 days.

all this happens when the car is running warm or cold. also how much is it to have someone hook a separate reader up on your car?

es.biggs
Car: 1990 300ZX 5sp NA

Remove and replace oil filter, remove and replace oil pressure sending unit, install oil pressure tester and verify oil pressure. Probably anywhere from $50-$100 at a shop. It's easy as pie to do yourself.

sdkid123
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx NA

update
turned out to be the oil sending unit,was clogged i changed it and it reads normal now:)

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”