3 month old rogue with rust!!!

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
madmaths
Car: 2012 Nissan rogue (wife car)
2012 Kia sorento

Hi!! First I'm new here!! Nice forum! I'm a big fan of forum! I check forum for my snowmobile,motorcycle, my sorento and now I'm here about my girls friend Rogue ,
3 month ago we buy a 2012 (left over) rogue and about a month ago my girlfriend saw this little rust spot one month after another!! Any had this problem!??
She go at the nissan dealer and they are not sure if they gone do any thighs about this the take pics ( car was dirty!! 1,5 hour drive for the nissan dealer!) they never wash the car and took some picture to send nissan like that!! They said we will have some new in 2 week! Trust me if the news are bad I will take a day off and go at the dealer !! I hate wen my girlfriend go at the garage alone! !!

any one have issue like this!??

Note: sorry for my bad English!

Nissanaddicted
Car: 2011 Frontier CC Long bed 4x4
2012 Rogue Sv
2013 Altima

I bought a leftover 12 rogue as well but have had no rust problems. If your dealer is worth his salt,he will take care of it for you. If not, find another dealer.

JMed
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD (Pearl White)
2015 Nissan Rogue SV (Black)

My girlfriend got a 2012 Rogue about 4 months ago and I have no seen any rust at all...

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

Without seeing pictures it is hard to say but it could be as simple as "rail dust" which was not removed when the vehicle was prepared for purchase. If the vehicle is not prepared properly you could see many little spec's of surface rust all over the car.

Luckily it's an easy fix with a product called IronX (there are others out there as well that do the same thing).

I'm not saying this is what you have because I don't see any pictures, but what I am saying is that it could be a relatively simple and common thing.

madmaths
2012 Kia sorento

TrevorK wrote:Without seeing pictures it is hard to say but it could be as simple as "rail dust" which was not removed when the vehicle was prepared for purchase. If the vehicle is not prepared properly you could see many little spec's of surface rust all over the car.

Luckily it's an easy fix with a product called IronX (there are others out there as well that do the same thing).

I'm not saying this is what you have because I don't see any pictures, but what I am saying is that it could be a relatively simple and common thing.
Soon as i can take a picture wen its light enough I will post one! But under the paint and not under like brake dust. the first spot my girlfriend found at my first impression it was dust in the paint but it starting to be more rust color and wen she found the second one it was clearly rust! I will try to take a clear pics of this!
Thanks!
sorry again for my bad English!

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Paint defects are very rare, but its entirely possible you may have a defect. My advice is to relax and let your warranty take care of it. You paid a lot of money for that vehicle and the peace of mind of having a warranty, so let the manufacturer worry about fixing it, and paying the full cost of the fix.

I know it sucks to have a defect on a new vehicle, but in my experience getting all worked up and excited does nothing to help speed up the solution, just be sure to check in with your dealer often because they're sure to forget or leave you hanging otherwise. Once they hear back from Nissan I'm sure you'll be approved for a warranty repair and all will be well. Let us know how it turns out in the end.

madmaths
2012 Kia sorento

yes! I will feedback for sure!! :)
and don't worry I'm completely relax , and I will wait the answer of nissan before anythings. I was just curious if any one had the same situation. thanks!

TrevorK

madmaths wrote:Soon as i can take a picture wen its light enough I will post one! But under the paint and not under like brake dust. the first spot my girlfriend found at my first impression it was dust in the paint but it starting to be more rust color and wen she found the second one it was clearly rust! I will try to take a clear pics of this!
Thanks!
Here is what rail dust will look like:

Is this what you're seeing? Rail dust is just an old term used to cover this sort of thing. It can come from many different sources and is actual rust. That's why I'm wondering if this is what you have.

madmaths
2012 Kia sorento

no its not wath I'm seeing at all. its under the paint and not over. I will take a pics soon as i can ( my girl friends is working night shift..)

madmaths
2012 Kia sorento

here 2 pics sorry for the bad quality ( cell phone pics) Its hard to see but its not surface its under the paint

those a 2 different spot but both on the truck panel

Nick2010

TrevorK wrote:
madmaths wrote:Soon as i can take a picture wen its light enough I will post one! But under the paint and not under like brake dust. the first spot my girlfriend found at my first impression it was dust in the paint but it starting to be more rust color and wen she found the second one it was clearly rust! I will try to take a clear pics of this!
Thanks!
Here is what rail dust will look like:

Is this what you're seeing? Rail dust is just an old term used to cover this sort of thing. It can come from many different sources and is actual rust. That's why I'm wondering if this is what you have.

I actually have a couple of this on the roof, is this covered by warranty?

TrevorK

Nick2010 wrote:I actually have a couple of this on the roof, is this covered by warranty?
I would think at a minimum the dealership would take care of it for you because it should have been done when the vehicle was initially prepared (assuming your Rogue is newer), but I have no idea if it's covered by warranty (it might need to be more than rail dust to be covered).

There are several products you can spray on/wipe off the deal with this such as IronX. This may be the easiest route to take because if the dealer fixes it you may end up with someone buffing it out that does not know what you are doing. I haven't been too pleased with this sort of detail-oriented work at my dealership and would not trust them with this sort of task myself. While I don't usually recommend random people detail their car without any knowledge/experience IronX and similar products do not pose a great risk because you will not be using anything abrasive on your paint.

Here's a youtube video (there are many) on IronX with a brand new car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N1X-gO-eAw

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Nick2010 wrote: Image
I actually have a couple of this on the roof, is this covered by warranty?
thats from, when the spoiler holes were drilled. wanna know how i know? when i installed my spoiler, some of the metal shavings from the drilling of the holes - stayed on my roof. they all rusted overnight and stuck to the roof LOL

madmaths
2012 Kia sorento

Hi! Just to feedback you about this: the deal look at the car and its really rust!! they will send the car at a body shop to have the back door repaint . Its a bit not disappointing to have a 3 month old car at the body shop for a rust problem! Hope they will make nice job!

TrevorK

madmaths wrote:Hi! Just to feedback you about this: the deal look at the car and its really rust!! they will send the car at a body shop to have the back door repaint . Its a bit not disappointing to have a 3 month old car at the body shop for a rust problem! Hope they will make nice job!
Your pictures definitely made it look bad. I hope you get a quality repair. Remember since it's under warranty you have the right to demand a good, quality repair and not some half-assed job where the colours do not match.

I would ask to see the worknoted to ensure they are fixing the source of the rust and not just sanding it a little and painting over top.

lfg
Car: Nissan ROgue 2012

I have the 2012 Nissan Rogue SV, Amethyst Black, and I am seeing the same problem. I saw one little spot near my rear passenger door at the driver side. Until lately I checked the car and i see on the body and on the chrome mouldings as well. I purchased my car with a platinum protection and they took pictures and sent it to the Insurance Company that covers the protection.

TaiLuu
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum

Would they re work the paint on my 2011 rogue because it had rail rust 1 year after I bought it?

TrevorK

TaiLuu wrote:Would they re work the paint on my 2011 rogue because it had rail rust 1 year after I bought it?
What do you mean by "re-work the paint"? If they remove the rail dust they will do so in the most cost effective manner first - which is attempting to use an abrasive on your existing paint to get it out then polish, etc. Because the rail dust is on the paint (not under like the original poster) it might come out.

The downside is that if they do not know what they are doing they'll end up swirling it around in your paint and causing a bigger problem for them (which most likely means they'll end up buffing more with an orbital polisher and taking off more of your clear coat).

If you're looking for it to be covered under warranty, well, you'd have to talk to your dealer. This sort of rusting is somewhat normal however I imagine the dealer can make a judgment call and remove it under warranty.

hjy319

Mine is a 2012 bought brand new in Sept 2012, now has 3 spots, 2 on hood and one on right front quater panel just off hood by the windshield. They are sending pics to Nissan to see if its covered, all I have to say is it better be! Not even 10,000 miles yet!!

dbiffin
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima - 2.5 SL
2012 Nissan Rogue - SV

I have a 2012 Rogue SV bought in May 2012, rust started to show in Oct 2012 on the back hatch around the chrome strip and over the rear lights. It has been fixed twice and now it is showing more rust over the license plate. So back to the dealer for its third fix.

Return to “Rogue Forum”