2JZ32's 2JZ 300zx Build

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
2JZ32
Car: 90 2JZ-T 300ZX, 05 Evo AS VIII

As a proud owner of this Z32 for over 15 years, the car has been through 2 VG30DETT engines and now finally has a 2JZGETT with a single turbo conversion. I have always loved the lines of this car and it was just too hard to give up on. You may ask why the 2JZ? Well, we got tired of trying to work on the impossible VG and with the luck that we had with the original motor and the second one, we wanted to try something else and we wanted to be different. Hope you like it. Here are the modifications as it currently sits:

Performance:1995 Toyota Supra 2JZGETT Powerplant1995 Toyota Supra ECU1995 Toyota Soarer 5-Speed TransmissionPrecision 6776S Single TurboMAMS Custom DownpipeMAMS Custom Test-pipeMAMS Custom Griffin Radiator with Spal FanMAMS Custom HeaderMAMS Custom FMIC2JZ T4 Turbo ManifoldTitan Motorsports Turbo BlanketExedy Toyota Twin Cera 1JZ-GTE ClutchHKS Hi-Power Dual Cat-Back ExhaustDual Turbo-XS Type RFL BOVsTial Wastegate 44mm .8 Bar 11.60psi300zx Dual Fuel Pump SetupInjen IntakeOptima Yellow Top BatteryWorld Electronics PBC1 Boost ControllerDakota Digital Speed Sensor ConverterPower Enterprise 650cc Fuel InjectorsLightweight FlywheelSAFC-IINISMO Motor Mounts

Suspension:HICAS Eliminator

Brakes:Z1 Motorsports Performance Brake Package Front and Rear Slotted Rotors Axxis Ultimate Pads Motul RBF 600 Brake Fluid Master Cylinder Brace Z1 Teflon Lined SS Brakelines

Internal:JDM FloormatsTRD Supra Shift KnobA-Pillar Gauge Pod with Stewart Warner Gauges

External:Greddy Front FaciaVeilside CI Sideskirts and Rear99 JDM 300zx Spoiler99 JDM Taillights99 JDM Front Clear CornersStillen Nose PieceCustom Eggshell White with Purple Pearl paintCustom Hood to allow clearance for 2JZStern Rims

MA Motorsports Tuned453whp/460wtq on 93oct at 16psi

The 2JZ swap was completed by Mid-Atlantic Motorsports in Baltimore, MD.

Now on to the pictures:

How it looked when we picked it up 15 years agoMA Motorsports buildEngine all finishedHow it sits today

The car is far from finished but we are just glad that it is drivable again after over 3 years off the road. It pulls like a freight train now and the single turbo really screams. After getting the car back from the shop, most of the electronics on the car do not work anymore including the radio, so that is next on the list. New rims and suspension (to fix the wheel gap) are next and probably some Recaro seats/harnesses and a roll cage. Eventually, I'll get an AEM EMS to really open up the potential of this engine and turbo as the car is only on an SAFC-II at the moment.

I'll post some more pictures as I find them.

Thanks for looking!
Modified by 2JZ32 at 3:53 PM 4/10/2010

AchilleZ32
Car: 1990 Nissan Z32

I iz your number 1 fan, seriously.

2JZ32

BeastZ32 wrote:I iz your number 1 fan, seriously.
haha thanks!

tg

please put some coilovers on that and fix the ride height lol.

2JZ32

tg wrote:please put some coilovers on that and fix the ride height lol.
Working on it lol. Those are next. What do you recommend?

85cartagena
Car: 1991 fairlady z 2+2

Powertrix coils!!! They are one of the best

bartZ32tt
Car: 1990 300zx twin turbo, 1996 7.3 powerstroke

2JZ32 wrote:Working on it lol. Those are next. What do you recommend?
I've heard nothing but good about powertrix. Nice car, I have the same side skirts and rear bumper, but replacing both lol (bought that way)

GsaSlick
Car: 1994 N/A Slicktop 5-Speed

Stock Red interior <3<3<3<3

Nice swap, fix that height and it's perfect. Great job man.

es.biggs
Car: 1990 300ZX 5sp NA

Awesome job man. I've always loved the idea of the 2JZ in the Z32. One question though, why the Soarer 5 speed rather than the Supra 6 speed? I heard the 6 speeds are hard to find, but you can find just about anything if the money is right :P

Beautiful job on this car. I love it.

DMeN Z
Car: SWhite '91 TT Z32, Dodge Patas

Wow, nice looking Z you have there. I'm digging that JDM spoiler, the angle on the pictures you took make it look nice. Coilovers and your done....for now

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

I will not lie and say I like it, but that is because it's a rival car's engine in another rival car's chassis. The overall swap is beautiful and it looks as if nothing was spared quality wise. Also if you don't mind, what happened with the other two VGTT's?

Ghut300zx
Car: 1995 300zx N/A

Clean swap but hideous rhinoceros horn hood

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

You've got a lot of effort into this build and know your stuff, which deserves respect but I find this too much like having a Chevy engine in a Ford car...just wrong on a basic level.Should have built up a killer RB or something Nissan...

Nice work though as I said, and I love seeing a photo quality white Z with a red interior like mine as well!

tg

2JZ32 wrote:Working on it lol. Those are next. What do you recommend?
SPL or powertrix are both good.

2JZ32

85cartagena wrote:Powertrix coils!!! They are one of the best
tg wrote:SPL or powertrix are both good.
Sounds good. I'll look into those.
DCaff300ZX wrote:You've got a lot of effort into this build and know your stuff, which deserves respect but I find this too much like having a Chevy engine in a Ford car...just wrong on a basic level.Should have built up a killer RB or something Nissan...

Nice work though as I said, and I love seeing a photo quality white Z with a red interior like mine as well!
I thought about going RB but I wanted something different that would stand out and essentially to see if it could be done.
Ghut300zx wrote:Clean swap but hideous rhinoceros horn hood
Yeah the body guy did the hood without it on the car and it is going to be fixed soon. The 2jz needed a lot more clearance though so something had to be done to the hood.
LIBRILZ wrote:I will not lie and say I like it, but that is because it's a rival car's engine in another rival car's chassis. The overall swap is beautiful and it looks as if nothing was spared quality wise. Also if you don't mind, what happened with the other two VGTT's?
Thanks. One the first VGTT the idler pulley seized and the timing belt jumped off. Needless to say the engine was toast. The second one we got ripped off and the guy put a half working engine in the car and took off with the rest of the money. It looked like he put all ebay parts in it and it never ran.
DMeN Z wrote:Wow, nice looking Z you have there. I'm digging that JDM spoiler, the angle on the pictures you took make it look nice. Coilovers and your done....for now
Thanks! The JDM spoiler definitely gives it a cleaner look.
es.biggs wrote:Awesome job man. I've always loved the idea of the 2JZ in the Z32. One question though, why the Soarer 5 speed rather than the Supra 6 speed? I heard the 6 speeds are hard to find, but you can find just about anything if the money is right :P

Beautiful job on this car. I love it.
The Soarer 5 speed was cheaper and still kept the car a 5 speed. I think there would have been some clearance issues with the Supra Getrag tranny as well.
GsaSlick wrote:Stock Red interior <3<3<3<3

Nice swap, fix that height and it's perfect. Great job man.
I have always like the red interior, but the seats are cracking and it's just getting old. That will most likely be my next project. Thanks!

cheromanche
Car: 1992 Nissan 300zx

SICK!!! I dig your car! Anything different and original is awesome to me.

djdopamine
Car: 1990 300ZX N/A 1990 300ZXTT R.I.P.

Yeeeaah! Sorry but this is just too cool... I still love the Z in terms of appearence, but you cant deny it-2JZ= gobs of power without a headache Awesome swap man! What are your numbers so far?

ffrpwner
Car: 1994 300zx n/a (sold)
1992 300zx tt

youve done wat ive wanted to for so long now

Gino
Car: 1990 300zxTT stage 5+++

sweet car man, hope to one day see it in person!

btw, there's still a lot of room between the head and the shock tower that can be filled up...if you get my hint...

DMeN Z
Car: SWhite '91 TT Z32, Dodge Patas

^ haha. hint hint. Go bigger...

tg

Lots of room in there for a GT4788-R ;D

2JZ32

cheromanche wrote:SICK!!! I dig your car! Anything different and original is awesome to me.
Thanks, I appreciate it!
djdopamine wrote:Yeeeaah! Sorry but this is just too cool... I still love the Z in terms of appearence, but you cant deny it-2JZ= gobs of power without a headache Awesome swap man! What are your numbers so far?
Agreed I posted the numbers in the original post but it's tuned very conservative right now since the car is only on a SAFC. It did 453whp/460wtq on 93oct at 16psi on a dynojet, but this setup is capable of well over 650rwhp on race gas and higher boost as I have seen on other Supras.
ffrpwner wrote:youve done wat ive wanted to for so long now
Beat you to it haha
Gino wrote:sweet car man, hope to one day see it in person!

btw, there's still a lot of room between the head and the shock tower that can be filled up...if you get my hint...
Thanks man, I hope to see your car someday in person as well it looks crazy. We'll have to set something up. Hmm not quite getting the hint.....but maybe bigger turbo?

2JZ32

DMeN Z wrote:^ haha. hint hint. Go bigger...
tg wrote:Lots of room in there for a GT4788-R ;D
Maybe in the future

2JZ32

It looks like I am going to order a set of the Powertrix Sport Street Coilovers. Does this include everything or will I need to purchase any other parts to make these work? What else do you guys recommend suspension wise to keep the car more stable and the power to the ground?

Thanks

ffrpwner
Car: 1994 300zx n/a (sold)
1992 300zx tt

ughhh u so lucky i wish i could just decide to get some coilovers lol......and you should also get the adjustable tension rods and adjustable front and rear camber arms...also rear traction rods if you wish

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

Gotta admit that after looking at your ride closer, I see a lot more I like about your setup and that is the same as my Z.We have the same side skirts and rear bumper and although I do not like spoilers, yours is different and the only style I DO like...and I admit it looks good on the white Z!Nice little touches like the drilled out skirts, white mirror mounts and your FMIC right tight with the Stillen front...just need to get that bumper and fender (like mine!!!) to cooperate with eachother.Nice custom Z man!

Gino

haha yea man, bigger turbo and we will definitely meet up this summer or something. You're in york, so that's not TO bad. I'm about 30 minutes from Hanover PA.

We seem to have a lot more side clearance with the supra motor then the supra does (obviously because our bay is set up for a much wider engine).

Like ffrpwner said, adjustable arms! all of them! lol. At the VERY least get front upper control arms and tensions rods. Depending how low you want to go, get more lol.

2JZ32

ffrpwner wrote:ughhh u so lucky i wish i could just decide to get some coilovers lol......and you should also get the adjustable tension rods and adjustable front and rear camber arms...also rear traction rods if you wish
Gino wrote:Like ffrpwner said, adjustable arms! all of them! lol. At the VERY least get front upper control arms and tensions rods. Depending how low you want to go, get more lol.
Any preferences on a brand for these? Also what about subframe bushings/bushing collars?
Gino wrote:haha yea man, bigger turbo and we will definitely meet up this summer or something. You're in york, so that's not TO bad. I'm about 30 minutes from Hanover PA.
Sounds good man, I'm actually about 20 minutes south of York so I am very close to the PA/MD border.
DCaff300ZX wrote:Gotta admit that after looking at your ride closer, I see a lot more I like about your setup and that is the same as my Z.We have the same side skirts and rear bumper and although I do not like spoilers, yours is different and the only style I DO like...and I admit it looks good on the white Z!Nice little touches like the drilled out skirts, white mirror mounts and your FMIC right tight with the Stillen front...just need to get that bumper and fender (like mine!!!) to cooperate with eachother.Nice custom Z man!
Glad you changed your mind Thanks for the complements!

Oh and I just took a little video so you guys can hear the car I'll have it up soon.

Gino

brand really depends on budget. There are people who swear that only powertrix or SPL stuff will touch their car, then there are people who swear that ebay stuff is almost just as good. The main difference between the two is just the bearings and the tolerances (for the most part). Personally, I would say whatever you have the budget for. There are people I know with ebay suspension parts who have ran into curbs in auto-x and the OEM parts bend before the ebay parts do...BUT there are always people who say they're not nearly as good. As for subframe bushings or collars, personally: i am replacing with solid bushings. This will combat wheel hop like crazy. If you get wheel hop, either get spacers or replace the bushings. If not, then I wouldn't worry to much about them as it's a major PITA to do.

and awesome, I live about 20 minutes away from the MD/PA line (MD 30/PA 94)

I hope i never have to make a thread like this one lol, but if this motor ever goes up: VH45 rear mounted 35R's :x Sometimes it's good to be different a 2JZ is definitely different

2JZ32

I definitely want to stay away from ebay parts, I have invested too much already in this car to do so. I'll look into the Powertrix stuff. My wheel hop isn't too bad ATM so I may just go collars if at all and I'm sure the coilovers will help a lot in the area too. Thanks for the info!

Oh and the VH45 with the 35R's sounds ridiculous

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”