25 year gtr importation

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Forgotmyoldlogin
Car: 2004 Subaru forester xt (300whp/330wtq)
2004 Subaru Wrx Sti (360whp/350wtq)

Ok obviously unless it changes before then, you will be able to legally import an 89 r32 in 2014. I've done my share of research and weeded out illegit statements and all of that so Im a little less ignorant than some others, but definitely don't know it all. I was trying to get a gtr before 2014 but I can't justify the risk... As a matter of fact there is one in my town sitting in a garage for $10k (on the dl) but it's a Florida state illegal car, anyway... I am new to looking into legally importing a 25 year old car so I have a few questions.

A) price... Someone already started a thread on the price of an 89 gtr once they are legal. Goo-net cars seem to be priced on the high side compared to other Japanese sources I have, so the base price would be what you could find one for. Aside from cost of the actual vehicle, being that the car will be exempt, what are the other fines you will incur and are they flat rate or based on something (type of fine/fee and cost or % would help).

1 of many sites I've found significantly cheaper than goo-net http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/ja ... r/all/all/

B) preferred method of purchase... Buy one here, buy one from Japan and ship it sight unseen, or buy it from canada and ship or pickup. I've been told to stay away from cars out of Okinawa first of all due to price and the fact that most are rusted to hell. If I buy a car in the us that someone else imported I'm sure the final price will be higher but at the convenience of being able to inspect the car personally before purchase. What documents would I need to prove it was legally imported and exempt with no risk of it being confiscated? When buying a Canadian gtr legally what is the proper process, just buy it and drive it through or still go through the hassle of customs, etc. for to be 100% legit. I'm not sure how to go about purchasing a car from canada in the first place, say a civic or whatever and bringing it down so any enlightenment on that would be great. Lastly and seemingly the most risk oriented option would be to buy one from Japan, hope the car even exists, possibly have a broker or something similar ($$$) go inspect the car prior to purchase, buy or rent a container ($$$), hope it makes it to the us without shipping damages including falling off into the ocean or being "misplaced", then deal with the governments s*** once it's here, and if you're lucky drive it home one day months or years after the initial purchase.

C) anything else helpful... ?

Forgotmyoldlogin

I was thinking of r33's just now. They are on the list for cars to be legally imported, but they aren't 100% eligable to be imported due to lack of odbII compliance.... 25 years dot exempt, 21 years EPA exempt.... Is it safe to say 96-98 r33 Gtrs under current law will be completely eligable for legal import and federal compliance at the 21 year mark from their production date?

Then at the same time, where does that leave 1995 r33 Gtrs.. Could you import them as "substantially similar" to literally the same chassis code as the 96-98's that made the list at the 21 year mark if you were inclined to do so (a little more headache, but possible?)?

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Forgotmyoldlogin wrote:I've been told to stay away from cars out of Okinawa first of all due to price and the fact that most are rusted to hell.

Hey!,,well, yeah, that's pretty much true. :gapteeth:

fast.six
Car: 1990 R32 GT-R

yeah i'm looking into this as well.

i'll probably be rotating out from okinawa around '15-'16 and '14-'15 is when the '89-'90 GT-R's will become legal to import. I picked up a 1990 R32 GT-R from johnnys outside kadena. A bit more expensive then i wanted to pay for it but they are increasingly harder to find on this rock, you can find them up near Nago but i heard they're pushing closer to 20k usd.

I actually emailed the NHTSA for further information regarding this, as soon as i receive a response i'll post it. I will get my 32 home to the states, how easy it is has yet to be determined.

300ZXttZMAN
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo 5 spd pearl white.

My Daily: 2008 Frontier NISMO package, 4x4 Crew Cab.

fast.six wrote:yeah i'm looking into this as well.

i'll probably be rotating out from okinawa around '15-'16 and '14-'15 is when the '89-'90 GT-R's will become legal to import. I picked up a 1990 R32 GT-R from johnnys outside kadena. A bit more expensive then i wanted to pay for it but they are increasingly harder to find on this rock, you can find them up near Nago but i heard they're pushing closer to 20k usd.

I actually emailed the NHTSA for further information regarding this, as soon as i receive a response i'll post it. I will get my 32 home to the states, how easy it is has yet to be determined.
Welcome to NICO!!!

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

The prices on Goo-Net are a bit higher because the cars are...about 98% of the time...excellent quality. A publication like Goo-Net wouldn't advertise dealers selling crap cars because it would hurt their reputation. Goo-Net has been in business for YEARS and I have never, ever, heard of them advertising a car that wasn't as good or better than what the dealer has posted for it.

I bought my GT-R through a dealer listed on Goo-Net. The dealer even replaced the MAFS and retinted my back window free of charge at my request when I signed the purchase agreement.

As for buying a car already in the U.S. or Canada once the 25 year rule is up, I don't think that will work. I believe you have to show proof of it's import date or something along those lines when you submit your petition to bring it in. I'm sure Sean, again, has the correct info on this.

Don't forget, also, that you'll have to de-register the car after you purchase it before you can ship it.

Having someone over here who knows the cars well enough to get you prime examples will be your best option.

FeastAuto Japan would be a good start once the 25 year mark hits. Adam is a good guy and sells nice quality cars and parts (he lives here in Japan. Have met him a few times).

But, you're at least on the right path of doing your research.

littlemimus
Car: mazdaspeed protege

i have to agree with golddigger. i do believe the cars cant be imported from canada or be held in the states. they must come from japan.

Forgotmyoldlogin

Not sure if you guys get what I meant about us/ca cars.... I know for sure once a car is imported illegally, it's just that, even if it's 100 years old. What my question was in regards to is, if someone in the us bought an 89 gtr in 2014 and imported it under the 25 year rule, and you bought it from them personally. As far as Canadian cars, they have a 15 year rule so they are already in r33's legally so I'm sure 89 r32's are there. Once it's 2014 could you buy an 89 from it's owner in Canada and "import" it across the border, and if so how?

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

I believe it only works when it's imported from it's point of origin. If that makes any sense...

Again, Sean will hopefully answer eventually.

wheatie
Car: 91 R32 GTR

Keeping with the topic, one thing I've been trying to research and haven't found a definite answer on is the VIN numbers, will it be an issue that the car has an 11 digit VIN when registering in the US, or is this just not an issue at all?

Ramonesfreak2010
Car: 1991 240sx Hatch

I hope more people contribute in this thread with more information since I am also looking into buying a 1989 GTR and bringing it into the states. I've been doing some reading these last few weeks, and from what I've read (correct me if I'm wrong), I think you CAN import a GTR from Canada. I was reading all the information on the NHTSA website and I didn't read anything about the car having to be imported from the point of origin.

"A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used."

Theres a lot more information in the link stated above. I'm still a noob at this and am trying to gain as much information as I can. I also contacted a registered importer in the states, and they told me this

"Once it is 25 years or older it will be exempt from the standards and you do not need a conversion. You will only need a customs broker for the port you are importing into. Below is a link for customs brokers.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/ports/ "

Also, question: Does the 25 year rule apply to the year the car is sold under, OR the year the car was produced. For example, if a GTR is a 1989 Nissan Skyline GTR was produced in September of 1988, does the 25 year rule apply in September 2013 or 1989?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge. I haven't been interested in a Skyline at all until now. lol

fast.six
Car: 1990 R32 GT-R

I'm currently trying to find someone with access to Nissan's FAST database to look up what month my gt-r was produced. One way or another this car is coming home with me in 3 years, I've waited too long to own one to just leave it here.

usafdarkhorse
Car: 1990 Honda NSX #382
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317
1972 Datsun 240Z

Ramonesfreak2010 wrote:
Also, question: Does the 25 year rule apply to the year the car is sold under, OR the year the car was produced. For example, if a GTR is a 1989 Nissan Skyline GTR was produced in September of 1988, does the 25 year rule apply in September 2013 or 1989?
They will go by the no-joke month of manufacture and they didn't start making R32 GT-Rs until August 1989 (a 1989 in Japan is just that...a 1989). If you bought a GT-R with a manufactured month of November 1989, it would not be legal until November 2014 and I would even give a buffer month of December 2014 to be absolutely sure it would clear.

FWIW, I do remember some caveat about reimportation and origins where Canadian cars would not be legal for import, but the 25 year thing may make that null. Ask someone up at NHTSA if you can even get ahold of them on this issue. I don't think a Canadian car would be in as good of shape as a Japanese car though.

usafdarkhorse
Car: 1990 Honda NSX #382
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317
1972 Datsun 240Z

wheatie wrote:Keeping with the topic, one thing I've been trying to research and haven't found a definite answer on is the VIN numbers, will it be an issue that the car has an 11 digit VIN when registering in the US, or is this just not an issue at all?
I don't think it will be. Until 1980, cars have had 10 and 11 digit VINs. Just as long as you have the appropriate paperwork.

I could probably register a horse as a motor vehicle in Tennessee and no one would raise an eyebrow.

Ramonesfreak2010
Car: 1991 240sx Hatch

usafdarkhorse wrote:
Ramonesfreak2010 wrote:
They will go by the no-joke month of manufacture and they didn't start making R32 GT-Rs until August 1989 (a 1989 in Japan is just that...a 1989). If you bought a GT-R with a manufactured month of November 1989, it would not be legal until November 2014 and I would even give a buffer month of December 2014 to be absolutely sure it would clear.

FWIW, I do remember some caveat about reimportation and origins where Canadian cars would not be legal for import, but the 25 year thing may make that null. Ask someone up at NHTSA if you can even get ahold of them on this issue. I don't think a Canadian car would be in as good of shape as a Japanese car though.
Thank you for your response. I will try to contact someone from the NHTSA so verify what you said.

I also agree with you about a R32 from Japan would be in better condition than one from Canada. Only reason why I would want to get one from Canada was because of the price and location. But since now I know that they didn't make R32 GT-R's til August 1989, then I have a good while to save. :werd:

vigil

Forgotmyoldlogin wrote:Ok obviously unless it changes before then, you will be able to legally import an 89 r32 in 2014. I've done my share of research and weeded out illegit statements and all of that so Im a little less ignorant than some others, but definitely don't know it all. I was trying to get a gtr before 2014 but I can't justify the risk... As a matter of fact there is one in my town sitting in a garage for $10k (on the dl) but it's a Florida state illegal car, anyway... I am new to looking into legally importing a 25 year old car so I have a few questions.

A) price... Someone already started a thread on the price of an 89 gtr once they are legal. Goo-net cars seem to be priced on the high side compared to other Japanese sources I have, so the base price would be what you could find one for. Aside from cost of the actual vehicle, being that the car will be exempt, what are the other fines you will incur and are they flat rate or based on something (type of fine/fee and cost or % would help).

1 of many sites I've found significantly cheaper than goo-net http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/ja ... r/all/all/

B) preferred method of purchase... Buy one here, buy one from Japan and ship it sight unseen, or buy it from canada and ship or pickup. I've been told to stay away from cars out of Okinawa first of all due to price and the fact that most are rusted to hell. If I buy a car in the us that someone else imported I'm sure the final price will be higher but at the convenience of being able to inspect the car personally before purchase. What documents would I need to prove it was legally imported and exempt with no risk of it being confiscated? When buying a Canadian gtr legally what is the proper process, just buy it and drive it through or still go through the hassle of customs, etc. for to be 100% legit. I'm not sure how to go about purchasing a car from canada in the first place, say a civic or whatever and bringing it down so any enlightenment on that would be great. Lastly and seemingly the most risk oriented option would be to buy one from Japan, hope the car even exists, possibly have a broker or something similar ($$$) go inspect the car prior to purchase, buy or rent a container ($$$), hope it makes it to the us without shipping damages including falling off into the ocean or being "misplaced", then deal with the governments bullsh*t once it's here, and if you're lucky drive it home one day months or years after the initial purchase.

C) anything else helpful... ?
PM me that guys info who selling that gtr32

Omalika
Car: 1989 R32 GT-R

fast.six wrote:I'm currently trying to find someone with access to Nissan's FAST database to look up what month my gt-r was produced. One way or another this car is coming home with me in 3 years, I've waited too long to own one to just leave it here.
If you give me the number I can go to the Nissan dealership down the road and they can look up the year of manufacture. Number should be something like BNR32 004-229.

As far as I know, after talking with the main military exporter at the port of Yokohama (who handles all the vehicles OUTBOUND of Japan owned by service members), the vehicle has to be 25 years to the month (i.e. a vehicle manufactured in 11/89 has to wait until 11/2014). As stated previously, most 89' R32's are going to be manufactured October or later.

I found my 89 BNR32 on Yahoo Auctions Japan. I took a train to where the car was being sold (unannounced) and used my rudimentary Japanese to explain that I'd like to look at the car and possibly buy it. I'll be honest and say that I never test-drove the car, but I started the car up and did a full underhood/underbody inspection and liked what I saw.

Be really careful of the dealers who go out and buy cars at auction - make sure you know you're getting a good chassis, otherwise you might spend thousands in rust repair. A lot of dealers (such as R-international) will have a "grade" for a vehicle. Obviously, get the best grade possible.

Best of luck to all you future GT-R owners! :dblthumb:

wheatie
Car: 91 R32 GTR

Omalika wrote: If you give me the number I can go to the Nissan dealership down the road and they can look up the year of manufacture. Number should be something like BNR32 004-229.
Could you look into mine and give me any and all info you get out of it?

BNR32 212607

Should be either August or Sept of 91

I wish I could get FAST to work on Windows 7 :(

JDM Fan
Car: 2006 Scion TC

Ok if the car is 25 years old and is exempt from the emission and safety laws, can you legally do a swap from the RB20 to an RB26?

oct1285
Car: 2011 G37 sedan

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, can I go to Canada, buy a R32 and drive it back across the border provided I have all the proper forms filled out? Or do I need to go through an importer

Pslsurf15
Car: 1990 GTR BNR32

I would like to have some rumors straightened out. I have heard that it will be a pain to import, because we will have to bond it??? and make sure it is in complete stock condition ? Any further guidance would be appreciated I'm sure we wuld all like to know exactly whats required.

nitrous36

lol No one will answer the Canada question. Curious to know this as well.

The only downsides I see to canada are the harsh winters and road salt, and maybe the tuner scene with the ricers having already thrashed and been through the cars. But if you find the dream JDM car of your choice in good shape there, it would be cheaper and easier to fly out, inspect it in person, and(if all checks out) drive it over, versus finding and shipping from Japan. Japan or anywhere overseas would involve more time, money, and hands involved to get it done and done correctly.

So other than filling out the necessary forms at the border, what else is involved with just driving one over?

And at 25 years old, are your odds of finding a decent shape car really going to be better in Japan than Canada?

Cannonball996

as long as the car is registered to you then you should be able to drive it across the boarder, Canada has a registration process for non residents, you pay the sales tax, they put your name on the title and you get a license plate. at the border you will need letters of compliance from the manufacture that states that the car meets the requirements for importation (in this case that the car is 25 years old and is no longer required to meet certain EPA and safety standards). Customs should then give you a letter of clearance, and you take all your paperwork down to you local vehicle tax office, and register the vehicle.

make sure you have insurance on the car.
its probably a good idea to have letters of compliance from US customs, NTSB, and your state registration office that the car can be imported, just in case.

Guio51
Car: 1991 gtr

Here is my question!
Im transfering back to the states in 2014
Can I bring my 91 gtr and just leave parked in my garage until it becomes 25 year legal?
And then register the car??

themadscientist

Canada trick won't work. You can drive all over Canada and you might be able to visit the states with it as a plated and registered Canadian car, but you cannot emigrate the car into the states that way. It's seizable and crushable even if you pull a Jedi mind trick on some podunk DMV worker and get it registered and plated in the states.

Guio, no, you can't legally bring it in until it's actually 25. You would have an unregisterable car that would similarly be in jeopardy until 25 and even then would have to be exported and then reimported to become legit.

Now, you could possibly import the car to Canada, store it there and wait until the magic hour THEN officially import it to America. That might work.

oct1285

You can't import a 25 year old car from Canada? It has to come from the country of manufacturer?
themadscientist wrote:Canada trick won't work. You can drive all over Canada and you might be able to visit the states with it as a plated and registered Canadian car, but you cannot emigrate the car into the states that way. It's seizable and crushable even if you pull a Jedi mind trick on some podunk DMV worker and get it registered and plated in the states.

Guio, no, you can't legally bring it in until it's actually 25. You would have an unregisterable car that would similarly be in jeopardy until 25 and even then would have to be exported and then reimported to become legit.

Now, you could possibly import the car to Canada, store it there and wait until the magic hour THEN officially import it to America. That might work.

themadscientist

I don't think the car must emanate from the country of manufacture. I've seen European cars leave Japan for the states before. That TMO was willing to do it does not necessarily mean it's acceptable, however. They expect the owner to do that research. It's the age that's crucial. I would hope Sean could weigh in on that specifically.

oct1285

If its age that's important I would hope that one would be able to import a 25 year old car from Canada. It'd be considerably cheaper to get a R32 that's in Canada than one from Japan.
themadscientist wrote:I don't think the car must emanate from the country of manufacture. I've seen European cars leave Japan for the states before. That TMO was willing to do it does not necessarily mean it's acceptable, however. They expect the owner to do that research. It's the age that's crucial. I would hope Sean could weigh in on that specifically.

themadscientist

If that will be possible, then a smart fella would pull together some venture capital, procure a fleet of cars before they are overpriced and store them awaiting the trigger date. Keep the supply network warm and use that initial profit to pay expenses and restart fresh importation of new stock.

USsil80

themadscientist wrote:If that will be possible, then a smart fella would pull together some venture capital, procure a fleet of cars before they are overpriced and store them awaiting the trigger date. Keep the supply network warm and use that initial profit to pay expenses and restart fresh importation of new stock.
What he said^
Isn't there a guy, that had something to do with MotoRex, named Sean doing that?

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”