240sx Transmission seal replacement

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

By 94_240sx

Front and rear seals replacement on manual tranny. I've never done this before, but decided to give it a try. It was way easier than I thought, so it'll be good if you do this before the swap.

First step. Remove dust cover. My tranny is from s14 and this piece is too small for s13 driveshaft and someone mentioned about this s14 dust boot and s13 driveshaft in one of the previous pages. You don't have to cut or anything. It just pops out. I used flat head screw driver and to pry it out. I'll buy s13 dust cover, and see if it fits there.

Pry the rear seal with a flat head screw driver like this. It came out easily.

Socket for the rear axle fits perfect, so use it to tap the seal in after put some grease on. Size of the rear seal is exactly same as differential side seals. I used the same socket to install the diff seals.

I was afraid of doing the front one, but did it anyway. 5 bolts are holding the front cover.

I tired to pull/pry it out, but failed. There's no way you can pull it out.

There was a hole on the cover just like water pump. You will see leak here if the seal goes bad. I placed a small screw driver and pushed it out. It worked like a charm!

New one is in!!

Random pictures

1991 240sx tranny

question

Modified by vancouverbc at 11:26 PM 1/1/2009

Modified by vancouverbc at 11:30 PM 1/1/2009
Modified by vancouverbc at 11:32 PM 1/1/2009

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”