240sx fuel injectors are not spraying

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
nisjay
Car: 240sx

ok so my engine won't start, it just cranks. I narrowed it down to a fuel problem. MY pump is working but nothing is coming out of the injectors. I stuck a piece of paper in the cylinder, cranked it and the paper was dry, no fuel. I connected an ohm reader to the injector plugs and it didn't read anything. WTF? I heard it might have something to do with the sensor in the distributor. Any thoughts?

Vegascorbin
Car: 1990 240sx dirt track race car

nisjay wrote: I stuck a piece of paper in the cylinder...
NEVER NEVER NEVER stick anything into a cylinder except fuel, and spark. you are only asking for trouble.

Are you getting fuel to the fuel rail? Are all injectors not working or just one? Is this after a swap or other change ot the engine?

If it is just one injector and you read infinet ohms when reading the coil of the injector then it is probably bad. If all are reading hte same then you either are testing them wrong or have had a major problem that caused them to all fail at once (not likely but possable).

Check further and report back.

nisjay

fuel is getting to the rail I loosened the clamp to the hose that connects to the rail and primed the pump and fuel was squirting out. none of the plugs read anything on the ohm meter. I changed out the head gasket and did not disconnect anything that has to do with fuel, I just unscrewed the intake manifold and pulled it back. Did you hear anything about a bad distributor sensor not allowing the injectors to work? I don't know why it would just go bad though, its not like I dropped it or anything.

Vegascorbin
Car: 1990 240sx dirt track race car

What year / engine etc.

nisjay

the engine is a ka24de the year of the car is 93 but the engine might be a different year because I got from a junk yard and had it rebuilt. What does that have to do with anything? it was working fine before I replaced the head gasket and now the injectors aren't spraying. the harness is hooked up right, there are no grounds that aren't grounded from what I can tell and everything I disconnected when I replaced the head gasket I reconnected. I am stumped.

rogoman
Car: 1991 240SX FB
2012 Altima 2.5 S

When you replaced the head gasket, the distributor had to be removed and reinstalled so the crank angle sensor harness connector may not be secure. Also make sure all ground connections are secure.

nisjay

the distributor is sparking. so does that mean its secure? All grounds appear to be connected

Wc240
Car: 89 240
97 200sx
91 240 ka-t
06 scion xb
2000 frontier

check the injector plugs. make sure you have a 12volt source. make sure you didnt blow a fuse. make sure your dist. is in/timed right. if you check the inj right, and you get 0 ohms, thats an open in the coil inside the injector. dont really know what would couse all of them to go at the same time except mabe a really bad short

nisjay

I don't think its the injectors themselves because like you said it would be weird for all of them to go at the same time. this sucks, I'm getting a 350z screw 240s and there phantom issues, its been nothing but a headache. I got a couple offers on my 240 but no one wants a car that isn't running. I need to fix this problem by next week.

miggs11
Car: 1989 Nissan 240SX, 1993 Nissan Cefiro

most of the time the coils go bad in the injectors. I have had injectors go bad on me and send them out to get tested and it is just the winding that go bad. FYI

nisjay

would that throw any codes?

liquid_cool
Car: 1990 240sx ka24de-T swap 8.6:1cr ,duelsprings ,ti retainers,supertech pistons,K1 H-beems balanced internals ect ect.

the injectors work by opening a ground source to em...you need to trace wires back on your harness and make shure all grounds are properly grounded..allso..there is a wire that connects to the front of the head for the injector ground that comes from the injector harness...it might be a good idea..to direct ground from the battery to increase performance on this motor..keep us posted.

Wc240
97 200sx
91 240 ka-t
06 scion xb
2000 frontier

miggs11 wrote:most of the time the coils go bad in the injectors. I have had injectors go bad on me and send them out to get tested and it is just the winding that go bad. FYI
the windings, other than the pintle, is really all that can/ever does go wrong with em. then its time to get new ones. Windings=coil

trace your harness and look for bad wiring/grounds. buy a noid light to make things easier. once again, ohm the injectors (just to double check) and check for 12volts at the harness plugs. they CAN all go out at once, its just not likely/common.

nisjay

the plugs to the injectors read 0 on the ohm meter so they are not getting ground but I don't see any grounds that aren't hooked to something. what else could it be?

countrytuner
Car: 1990 240sx KA24DE swap

Hi im having exactly the same problem with my 93. Its got the ka24de engine in it too..

Wc240
97 200sx
91 240 ka-t
06 scion xb
2000 frontier

ohm out the injectors themselves. Are you going from(harness plug) ground signal to battery ground? if so, you wont get anything becouse the ecu grounds em. and if you try the same while cranking, your meter probably isnt fast enough to cach it. do you have 12v on the power side?take the fuel rale off a lil bit(put rags under neath) then try to crank and see if they spray.make sure all your relays are good/working(tho, dont think that would couse this problem)if you have a friend with a 240, see if you can swap ecu's and see if its the ecu(dought it)

nisjay

I ohm the injectors, they are good. The power side of the harness plugs are reading 12v. I'll take the rail off and see if they are spraying once the rain stops. Hopefully it stops soon, I am moving to Texas Saturday and I can't bring my car with me yet so I wanted to fix this problem before then. Like I said earlier though, I took out the spark plug, put my finger down there and felt no fuel when cranking it. the Spark plugs where also dry.

Modified by nisjay at 8:35 AM 7/21/2009
Modified by nisjay at 8:35 AM 7/21/2009

Wc240
97 200sx
91 240 ka-t
06 scion xb
2000 frontier

are you able to swap a known good ecu?your getting no codes?can you rent a noid light set?carefully cut open the harness, and trace some wires, like liquid said. inside that plastic thing and right when the harness bends at the end of the intake is a good spot for messed up wiring. also, before the harness goes in the firewall, look for any sign of the harness being open before. road debris/water will get in there;if anyone pressure washed the engine, oil will leek in there, etc

hock08
Car: kouki

any word on your fuel injectors yet? im getting the same problem on my sr.

nisjay

No word yet, I don't really have time to mess with it now because I am moving Saturday but I am going to have someone look at it while I'm away. when I find out what is wrong I will put up a post because this seems to be a big problem and I haven't seen much about how to fix it. I guess it could be a couple of things. For me it seems like a ground is off somewhere. I don't feel like redoing the Harness right now.

countrytuner
Car: 1990 240sx KA24DE swap

Hey all just thought i would let everyone know i fixed the problem with that engine. Turns out that the 12v feed wire that goes to the injectors was corroded at the plug and although it was reading 12 volts at the injectors, it did not have enough amperage to pulse the injectors. I hooked up a new wire direct to the batter and voila! it started and ran beautifully!

TofuBoy
Car: 1990 240sx s13 hatchback ka24e SOHC

Currently going through the same issue ! I have a 1990 240sx SOHC KA24E recently just swapped in the same engine , cranks but only starts up with starter fluid ! Everyone keeps telling me it is something to do with the injectors not opening up, have fuel all the way to fuel rail, push and return fuel lines are on correct I believe but when I took off the fuel rail with injectors connected none of the spray ! SO i believe that whatever is telling the injectors to spray out is not working correctly , what exactly did you do to fix yours I really think we have a very similar issue I have 2 ECU'S AND 2 ENGINE harnesses . Let me know what to do next please !!

Ni$$@n240
Car: Currently 1995 S14 Se

Check what countrytuner did to fix his. There is a ground strap that bolts to the exhaust side of the head and two smaller ones that go to the intake manifold from the harness also. (if I remember correctly)

2.4Loflove
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX SE

Having the same issue now, KA-T with an enthalpy tune. I washed it Sunday, put it back in the garage and went out to this situation this morning. Which plug is it that the power wires plug into from that cover? I’m trying to track down any corrosion. How much amperage are you suppose to get at the injectors?

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”