21,000km service??? Is it necessary? Can I use a shop other than a dealership?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
ADOversa
Car: 2008 Versa S 6MT Hatch, 2005 Chevy 3500 LWB

So I called for an appointment to get my oil change done, and my car is at 21,000 km and I was told I would need to get this servicing done to rotate tires do brake maintenence and I forget what else. It is supposed to cost around $230, which is a good chunk of change when I'm a full time student. So my question is... Will having a friend (who is a mechanic and has his own shop) do this maintenence as opposed to the dealership affect my warranty? Obviously I would have the receipt and maintence record print out from him for my files. Would putting this off until the summer affect my warranty?

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

ADOversa wrote:So I called for an appointment to get my oil change done, and my car is at 21,000 km and I was told I would need to get this servicing done to rotate tires do brake maintenence and I forget what else. It is supposed to cost around $230, which is a good chunk of change when I'm a full time student. So my question is... Will having a friend (who is a mechanic and has his own shop) do this maintenence as opposed to the dealership affect my warranty? Obviously I would have the receipt and maintence record print out from him for my files. Would putting this off until the summer affect my warranty?
Ya I'm at 21000 km and I'm not getting that done. They tell you to do all that but its not really necessary.I'm not getting my tires rotated because I just took off my winter tires and rotated the stock tires when I put them back on. And the brakes do not need to be changed. They are still fine. Unless your brakes are not working for some odd reason you don't need to get it done. Just tell them all you want is the oil change they can't force you to get it done.

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

21k is only LOF anyway.

follow the service guide; most of the things listed are "inspect" [though they charge an arm and a leg to walk by; the brakes are a check-up -- have your friend make sure to put anti-seize on them and you'll be good to go.

make sure to do the oil change. get your friend to do it; print up a receipt, and you're away.

iluvmyVersa08

ADOversa you can still get the oil change done at Plaza (if you want). Just tell them you don't want the other service stuff done. BTW how much is an oil change at PLAZA?

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

hey don't listen to me: my mind was addled this morning. I was thinking 21 months!

at 21K you don't need to do anything if you are following the recommended service schedule, at 24K its "Maintenance #2" -- it includes a lot of inspecting and not much actual work [check it here].

1_Sleek_Versa
Car: 08 Nissan versa SL

I do only my oil changes at my stealership.

Just lubricated the caliper slides myself.

I don,t like paying 2-300 bucks just for somebody to look by my car and tell me my wiper blades are worn. LOL

ADOversa
Car: 2008 Versa S 6MT Hatch, 2005 Chevy 3500 LWB

Ahhh well I got it done. They actually did pick up on an issue with the alignment though, so I'm kinda glad. But yeah... probably just get my buddy to do that from now on.

iluvmyVersa08... I am not too sure what they charge... I meant to ask today when I was there because today was the last of my 'free' oil changes, but I forgot .

I was pleasantly suprised at one thing though... looking at accessories, the Nissan roof rack crossbars are actually cheaper than the Thule ones I have been looking at, and their bike carrier attatchment was cheaper too!

In that link that was posted up higher in the thread, that dealer charges $31.95 for an oil change. That isn't too bad. I am not too sure what my buddy will charge, but he is in St. Catharines, so that is closer for me than going all the way up to Plaza. So I might go to my friend, or I might go to Collins Nissan in St. Catharines, because 1)St. Catharines is closer and 2) I go to school there and when I finish school will work there.
Modified by ADOversa at 7:24 PM 5/7/2009

darkwind25
Car: 08 versa SL HB.full tech package

I was pleasantly suprised at one thing though... looking at accessories, the Nissan roof rack crossbars are actually cheaper than the Thule ones I have been looking at, and their bike carrier attatchment was cheaper too!

The Nissan roof rack crossbars are actually Thule bars....We put some on a customers vehicle and they screamed and hollered because ,they didn't look exactly like the ones on the flyer.....It's an updated part# from nissan.so your gonna get round Thule's that look horrible.

The 24,000 km service is just an oil change and tire rotation,,,,our oil changes are 36.95 + all applicable taxes and the tire rotation is 13.99. and we still look all the other stuff over too while its in the shop and up in the air.

But as long as you have receipts for the maintenances,,,,Nissan can't deny you any warranty claim.Unless it's something you modified and it caused the problem.

iluvmyVersa08

Okay no problem. Ya I have two free oil change coupons still left. I am going to take mine in before I go back to school in June. After those coupons are done I'll probably go elsewhere for oil changes. I'll have to find out how much an oil change is at Plaza first.Did you have to pay for the extra's that they wanted you to have done?

Return to “Versa General Chat”