2014 Rogue - is 3rd row really for children?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
cloudcover

Hi all... I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 2014 Rogue :mike ...but I need to know if the third row is good for children occasionally.. children 2 to 8 years old. I keep reading reviews on how the 3rd row is only for children.. but most children 2 to 8 years old require some kind of child safety restraint (forward facing or booster seat) :confused: . I know there's no LATCH back there... but will the third row support a child safety restraint with seat belt?? The manual doesn't seem to say that the third row can not be used with such restraints. Can anyone confirm that they use the 3rd row with any restraints (and which restraint if you don't mind)?? Thanks! :)

JB'sTitanXD
Car: 2017 Titan XD Cummins

i would think because of the size/room for the 3rd row would only be good for children 7-12 range tops. since the rogue is a small SUV not much room at all. kids with booster seats might be ok at the most. My GF's 9 year old didnt like the 3rd row when i test drove it, so i ended up with a SL without the 3rd row. the pathfinder might be a better fit if you require a 3rd row.

tsumeone
Car: n/a

I wouldn't put any safety seats back there since there's no LATCH system. I can tell you that a smaller adult can sit back there somewhat comfortably, as long as the trip isn't a very long one.

cloudcover

Thanks for the responses. I agree that the 3rd row should not have safety restraints - I just want the option of using the 3rd row with booster seats for the one or two times a year my in-laws are visiting. It is reassuring to know that a booster seat will fit back there - secured with seat belt. :) However, I will certainly try my best to shove my mother in law back there, right where she belongs :naughty: :biggrin:

RyleyinSTL
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Pkg.

For adults the 3rd row is completely rubbish. I'm 190cm and there is no way I could be back there more than a few minutes.....and at that it was nearly impossible to get into the 3rd row. Also, to make room for 3rd row, you need to move up 2nd row to the point that it has no leg room. I'm not sure what Nissan was thinking.

I can't see how anyone who doesn't require a booster seat could really be comfortable back there.

LamyVista
Car: Hyundai Elantra

This is a great thread but with mixed answers. Like OP, I am interested in the 3rd row for the same reason, to (occasionally, when we need to haul a visitor) put my son back there when he's 3-10 years, let's say. I know that in order to do so, I would have to move the 2nd row seat forward a bit. Would there still be enough room for another child seat/booster in 2nd row in front of the child in 3rd row and for a passenger in 1st row?

cloudcover

LamyVista wrote:This is a great thread but with mixed answers. Like OP, I am interested in the 3rd row for the same reason, to (occasionally, when we need to haul a visitor) put my son back there when he's 3-10 years, let's say. I know that in order to do so, I would have to move the 2nd row seat forward a bit. Would there still be enough room for another child seat/booster in 2nd row in front of the child in 3rd row and for a passenger in 1st row?
Check out http://carnewscafe.com/2014/04/29/rogue ... e-success/ (read the comment at the bottom - he says he put two toddlers in the third row for a 550 mile trip)
and http://www.torquenews.com/1080/taking-n ... dmas-house

LamyVista

cloudcover wrote:
LamyVista wrote:This is a great thread but with mixed answers. Like OP, I am interested in the 3rd row for the same reason, to (occasionally, when we need to haul a visitor) put my son back there when he's 3-10 years, let's say. I know that in order to do so, I would have to move the 2nd row seat forward a bit. Would there still be enough room for another child seat/booster in 2nd row in front of the child in 3rd row and for a passenger in 1st row?
Check out http://carnewscafe.com/2014/04/29/rogue ... e-success/ (read the comment at the bottom - he says he put two toddlers in the third row for a 550 mile trip)
and http://www.torquenews.com/1080/taking-n ... dmas-house
Thanks for the link. So did you end up getting the 3rd row, cloudcover?

LamyVista

Cloudcover, after reading that blog it is clear that the kids sat in 2nd row, not 3rd! It is clear from the pictures. Why would a family of 4 even need to use the 3rd row during a road trip?

cloudcover

LamyVista wrote:Cloudcover, after reading that blog it is clear that the kids sat in 2nd row, not 3rd! It is clear from the pictures. Why would a family of 4 even need to use the 3rd row during a road trip?
Yes I do see a picture with car seats attached to the 2nd row but the author clearly says in the comments section "Yes, we did have both kids in the third row." and his other review at http://carnewscafe.com/2014/04/29/2014- ... ust-right/ clarifies that there were 6 people in the car, not 4.

I will be getting one - just cant find one in red in my area :frown:

yeungbaba
Car: 2014 Rough SV, family tech pkg

We have the SV w/ 3rd row, and have used it for road trips, as well as the occasional trips where we have 5ppl in the car
(cant really fit 3 across the 2nd row with 1 car seat + 1 booster)

On our most recent trip, we had our 7yr old on a booster in the 3rd row, and the 2nd row seat (i.e. directly in front) folded flat. That way, he could stretch his feet out using the folded seat as a foot rest. Also makes for a nice flat surface to put a laptop/ipad stand etc for a home-made in-car entertainment system :chuckle:

yeungbaba

Yes - you can slide the 2nd row forward a bit, and have a car sea in 2nd row, and another child on booster in the 3rd --> a bit of a compromise with leg room on the 2nd & 3rd row. Not too big of a problem as long as the kid in the child seat doesn't complain and starts kicking at the back of the front seat/headrest :blush:

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I hate to bring this up and rain on the enthusiasm some may have for this affordable 7 passenger vehicle (I'm in the same boat, I have a 6 yr old and 3 yrs old and am still searching for an affordable 7 pass crossover option).

The real problem I have with the 3rd row seat, beyond it's obvious shortcomings with space and access, is safety. Side curtain air bags are not provided for the 3rd row, only for the first two rows. And that 3rd seat is very close to the back hatch/bumper area, in the event of a rear-end crash I'd be very concerned about my 3rd row passengers, especially considering they are my most valuable family members. I don't think 3rd row safety is evaluated in crash tests...yet, this could change in the coming years, potentially exposing some serious safety risks. Other vechiles that have the 3rd row option have the same lack of 3rd row safety, including the Kia Sorento, and even the long wheelbase Hyundai Santa Fe.

In contrast, the standard 7-8 passenger crossovers such as the Nissan Pathfinder, Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Ford Flex, Chev Traverse etc. all have full 3-row side curtain air bags and much more cargo room behind the 3rd row, i.e. more structure to absorb a rear impact, with little heads farther away from the back hatch glass.

For short trips the risk might be ok, but if you're transporting your little people in the 3rd row often I don't think the safety compromise is worth it. They either need to do their best with these 3rd rows, or don't do it at all, in my opinion.

My advice, rathe than purchasing a new Rogue with ineffective and unsafe 3rd row, take that same cash value and buy a used Highlander for example. It's a good medium size, slightly larger than a Rogue, but not as large as a Chev Traverse or Ford Flex. Just an alternate plan to consider.

yeungbaba

Hmm...I think there are curtain air bags for the third row
http://autos.aol.com/cars-Nissan-Rogue- ... -features/

kerrton

I believe that is an error, check the source Nissan specs or even better do a car comparision from a competitors web site and you'll notice that the side curtain air bags only extend to the 2nd row.

yeungbaba

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/te ... manual.pdf

Page 1-53 from manual
The side air bags are located in the outside of the seatback of the front seats. The curtain air bags are located in the side roof rails in all 3 rows.

The comparison tool on the honda.ca site shows the following for the Rogue: http://www.honda.ca/compare/crv/2014/lx ... ompetitors
Curtain 1st, 2nd and 3rd row

kerrton

Well I think I may stand corrected!! Good attention to detail, I swear those specs read differently when the Rogue first arrived earlier in the year or maybe I just mis-read...either way, this is encouraging!

LamyVista

Thanks for the info guys.

LamyVista

When I went for a test drive in the 7-seat Rogue, the dealer said there is no airbag in the third row, he even patted that side panel to "check".

cloudcover

LamyVista wrote:When I went for a test drive in the 7-seat Rogue, the dealer said there is no airbag in the third row, he even patted that side panel to "check".
Just got mine yesterday :chuckle:

See http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... rogue/2014: "Side airbags: head curtain airbags for all three rows of seats (when equipped with 3rd row) and front seat-mounted torso airbags"

See manual, page 1-53. https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/te ... manual.pdf "The side air bags are located in the outside of the seatback of the front seats. The curtain air bags are located in the side roof rails in all 3 rows."

I would like to pat that salesmans head to check for a brain :rotfl

LamyVista

cloudcover wrote:
LamyVista wrote:When I went for a test drive in the 7-seat Rogue, the dealer said there is no airbag in the third row, he even patted that side panel to "check".
Just got mine yesterday :chuckle:

See http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... rogue/2014: "Side airbags: head curtain airbags for all three rows of seats (when equipped with 3rd row) and front seat-mounted torso airbags"

See manual, page 1-53. https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/te ... manual.pdf "The side air bags are located in the outside of the seatback of the front seats. The curtain air bags are located in the side roof rails in all 3 rows."

I would like to pat that salesmans head to check for a brain :rotfl
Congrats on your new ride. :dblthumb:
Have you had a chance to use the 3rd row? How good/bad is it for children and/or adults?

cloudcover

LamyVista wrote:
Congrats on your new ride. :dblthumb:
Have you had a chance to use the 3rd row? How good/bad is it for children and/or adults?

It works as I expected. There is no LATCH back there but the seat belts work just fine to secure a child safety seat. The 2nd row will have to slide forward a bit to make room in the back. The first row seats should also be moved forward a bit to accommodate the 2nd and 3rd rows. I don't recommend putting adults in the 3rd row; the floor is too high back there for adult legs. I think this set up is great for people who need 3 rows on occasion, like once or twice a year.

robin74
Car: nissan rogue 2016

I just purchased a 2016 rogue with the 3rd row, my concern is that the headrest in that row is not adjustable, so it ends up either too high or too low for kids in booster seats. Any solutions? Thanks!

Bestauntie

I'm not sure if this is still an active thread but I'm thinking of purchasing the Nissan Rogue SV with third row seat tomorrow. I would only use the 3rd row seat occasionally, when I'm with my nieces and nephews and I'm really torn about whether it is a wise investment. Since I know someone will suggest it, I've considered the Pathfinder and other similar size cars and they are just too big. I live I the city and it would be a tight squeeze in my garage. Have any of the others who have purchased the 3rd row run into issues? Is it truly functional for kids and/or small adults? I was able to sit in both the second and 3rd row relatively comfortably, I'm 5'3". If I had an infant car seat in the second row (the bucket style rear facing seats) would that prevent the seats from being moved forward enough to make the 3rd row usable? Any advice info from those that have them would be helpful.

Return to “Rogue Forum”