2012 Mazda CX-5 - Photos released

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
philipa_240sx

Mazda's new entry into the CUV market (and replacement for the aging Tribute) was previewed in a web release just recently:

http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/ ... link_id=nr

Hi-Res Photos:
Front 3/4 view
Front view
Rear hatch view - Skyactiv badge
Interior view
Skelton view

The new 2012 Mazda CX-5 will make it's formal debut at the Frankfurt Auto Show on Sept 13-25, 2011.

The CX-5 will feature both Mazda's new design 'language' as well as the first complete 'Skyactiv' vehicle: Chassis, engine, and transmissions. Power is expected to come from a 2.0 Skyactiv 4cyl engine that will also be appearing in the 2012 Mazda 3. At an estimated 163hp, it's within the range of similar 4cyl offerings and when combined with the light Skyactiv chassis, it should offer good performance.

It will definitely be a hot one in the CUV market over the next couple of years...

Ford is introducing the new Escape for 2013 (after 10 years of basically the same model) and Honda has a new CR-V which goes on sale late 2011. Toyota has also announced a full electric RAV-4 (an EV version of the current model) which will be going in sale in 2012.

As for Nissan...

The Rogue is now in it's 5th model year (2012). Nissan has been tight lipped about the next gen Rogue, only saying that a new model is in the works and will be built at a Nissan plant in the USA. At the earliest, we are looking at late 2012 for the new model... the 2013 Rogue?. Nissan has a lot riding on the new Rogue. It's one of their top selling models in both Canada and the USA... aside from the Sentra and Altima.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Looks really interesting, competition is at an all-time high in the small to midsize crossover class, and I think it's only going to accelerate with efficient next-gen powertrain R&D on accelerated fast-track schedules at the expense of large vehicle development taking a back seat.

I believe the CX-5 is smaller than the Rogue, competing in the newer compact crossover class with the Mitsubishi RVR/Outlander Sport, Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tucson and perhaps the Nissan Juke.

The Rogue would still compete with the CX-7 in terms of size, but the margins between classes are very fine so I'm sure there will be cross-comparisons. This is one reason why I think the compact crossover class (i.e. CX-5) will be one of the hottest in terms of growth because the price tags are very appealing and significantly lower than the Rogue, CX-7, RAV4, CRV, class (not sure what the label is), and you get everything that the more expensive crossovers have while only having to sacrifice a few inches and cubic feet here and there - an acceptable trade-off for most.

The CX-5 may compete more directly with the Nissan Juke, rather than the Rogue, but there is some subjectivity in there - the Juke is a pretty unique vehicle and it's tough to label it - is it a crossover, sports car, or a bit of both?

Lots of very cool choices out there, most of which weren't even available in 2008 when I purchased my Rogue so things are changing very fast which makes things very interesting and fun IMHO!

philipa_240sx

kerrton wrote:I believe the CX-5 is smaller than the Rogue, competing in the newer compact crossover class with the Mitsubishi RVR/Outlander Sport, Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tucson and perhaps the Nissan Juke.
The lines are definitely blurred a bit here. The CX-7 is slightly bigger by a couple of inches (most notably in wheelbase) compared to the Rogue. And until recently, the CX-7 was in a 'higher' class with more power, features, and a price tag to match. With the cheaper GX model introduced in 2010, the CX-7 is now much more of a Rogue competitor.

No one knows where the CX-5 will slot in as we don't have any detailed specs yet. My guess is it will be slightly smaller than the Rogue but perhaps not as compact as the Juke. Keep in mind the CX-5 is replacing the Tribute so I don't think Mazda will want to go much smaller.

philipa_240sx

Links to Hi-Res photos added. Warning: ~6MB ea

A few comments:

- Projector style front headlamps, HID?
- Dual zone climate control
- Auto headlights
- Bose Audio & Nav system with what appears to be a BMW iDrive style controller on the centre console
- Rearview monitor
- Integrated Bluetooth handsfree
- iStop feature (shuts off engine at stop lights to reduce emissions)
- Something that looks like a lane departure warning system, Hint: There is a button on the LH dash with an icon of a car going over the solid line

A loaded CX-5 was surely used for the press photos. But even base models should come with some great content.

I am quite envious of my wife's Mazda2 GX. For a $20K (Canadian) car, it has steering wheel audio controls, auto up/down driver window, and a drive computer... all features my 2008 Rogue SL does not have! :frown:

kerrton

Here is the link to the "SkyActiv" set of advancements found in the CX-5 and all future Mazda's, it's really interesting stuff:

http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/skyactiv/

They claim that their new auto transmission is superior to all existing tranny technology, and they specifically call out the CVT which they contrast in the comparision chart and claim superiority. They claim excellent torque transfer, efficiency, and driving experience/feel - basically the best of everything with no compromises, whereas other designs such as CVT have drawbacks, in their opinion.

The engine details are interesting too, they claim the highest compression ratio in the world at 14:1 compared to most competitors at 10:1, and these engines are direct injected for overall high efficiency and they claim excellent low end torque.

Lots of really interesting powertrain technology, I'm really intersted to see how reliability and durability turns out in the coming years, as manufacturers seem to be rushing and playing catch up with efficiency - I hope these are all properly tested before making it to market!

I find it interesting that they go to such lengths to achieve effiency and torque roughly equal to a small diesel, and that is exactly what they offer in this vehicle in Europe, a 2.2 L diesel with ultra low emmissions. Then they go ahead and try to duplicate this diesel with an ICE with tons of advanced engineering (i.e. millions of dollars to develop). It would be so much more efficient to just pick one and perfect it for all markets, drastically reduce costs and pass that on to the consumer with reduced costs. You know it's you and I that pay for all this research and development, if car companies could cut their powertrain development costs in half or even by a third and offer the same powertrain choices around the world that efficiency would have to translate into a lot cheaper cars for consumers.....I know I'm not the first one to think of this, but it just seems so obviously wasteful that I can't help but comment again!

philipa_240sx

Mazda has always tried to buck conventional wisdom, especially when it comes to engines. Remember the Miller Cycle motor used in the now defunct Millenia? And of course they have their rotary engine.

The Skyactiv motor is just another step closer to the HCCI motor (read: a gasoline engine that operates like a diesel) that many mfg's are developing including Nissan. The reasons are simple:

- Skyactiv can offer better fuel economy and more power while still operating on readily available gasoline.
- Diesel is not well accepted in many countries like North America. A viable alternative is needed.
- The Skyactiv motor can be modified to HCCI combustion when it becomes viable.
- Mazda does not have the resources or $$$ to develop their own electric or hybrid vehicle. This is even more critical now that Ford is a much smaller stakeholder.... no chance of borrowing their technology.

Lets face it, despite rising costs gasoline isn't going to disappear as a primary vehicle fuel. Skyactiv is just a small piece of the puzzle!

And if that didn't boggle your mind enough....

Nissan has introduced a new higher efficiency motor for the Micra. It incorporates both high compression AND Miller Cycle technology:

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOL ... 12ddr.html

kerrton

Hybrid electric vehicles look nice on paper but are still very expensive for consumers, so the Mazda strategy of making the ICE as efficient as possible and still affordable may be a winning strategy.

Other companies such as Nissan are developing ICE efficiency tweaks such as direct injection and turbos as well as hybrid electric drives - I think because Nissan is a larger company with big partnerships they probably have more resources to pursue several development paths. I'm really curious to see what the next gen Nissan powertrains will look like, such as the one scheduled for the new Rogue because they have not provided much information and they almost seem to be a year or two behind competitors such as Mazda. Nissan's big press release from almost 2 years ago indicated a big jump into small displacement turbo engines, making me believe the Rogue was headed for a 1.7L turbo, but things may have changed since then. They also hinted at a more efficient dual clutch CVT, so I'm excited to see how this will turn out and how competitive the numbers will be - it should be a game changer for pretty much the entire lineup excluding the trucks (don't get me started on the trucks, the struggling Pathfinder is in dire need of a new powertrain but doesn't seem to be close to getting one which I think will really hurt it compared to current competition like the Ford Explorer, Durango etc.).

There is so much interesting developments happening every day that this thread could go on forever. I was just reading about the 2.0 Ecoboost engine available in the new Explorer and now finally in the Edge, it makes 230-40 horespower with lots of low-end torque and pretty impressive efficiency numbers - I can't get over such a small displacement 4-cylinder engine in a large 4500+ pound vehicle like the Explorer. I'm not sure how many buyers will be willing to be early adopters of this when the tried and true 3.5 V6 regularly aspirated engine is available for $900 CAD LESS than the 2.0, but time will tell.

Qashqai

You guys were so excited about this car! :bowrofl:

300winmag
Car: 2011 Rogue SL AWD

I test drove 2 CX7s before buying the rogue and was totally turned off from the loud bumpy ride. This new one looks nice but so does the CX7.

philipa_240sx

Qashqai wrote:You guys were so excited about this car! :bowrofl:
Don't get me wrong... It's always good to see what the competition is doing. I posted this to see how it compares with the Rogue, not to promote the CX-5. ;)

kerrton

Same here, and the competition setting the bar high just means that the next gen Rogue will be that much better in order to compete. We're in a time of accelerated evolution of the automobile, in particular with efficiency technology for the ICE and moving into electrified powertrains. With so much going on there's lots to talk about!

ThandaPani
Car: 2010 Rogue SL

I also test drove CX7, both the regular and the turbo version. Turbo felt better because of the the power. But the Rogue felt much more comfotable then CX7. Lookwise, I liked Rogue, although the interior in CX7 was quite nice, too. Anyway, CX series is definitely a good competition for Rogue.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Qashqai

Did you notice the door handles?

The side mirror are funny. Reminds me my wife's little make-up mirror that she carries all the time in her purse.

The back looks like Darth Vader's mask in orange.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

Qashqai wrote:Did you notice the door handles?

The side mirror are funny. Reminds me my wife's little make-up mirror that she carries all the time in her purse.

The back looks like Darth Vader's mask in orange.
That is because they are the pictures of the concept car shown at the beginning of 2011.

For the production pictures, go up to the first post.

philipa_240sx

I am good friends with the sales manager at a local Mazda dealer. We had a great experience purchasing the wife's Mazda2. As soon as the CX-5 comes to Canada, I have been promised a test drive.

I hate to admit it, but if the CX-5 is available with a manual tranny and drives well, I will be a hard pressed to consider another Rogue.

Com'n Nissan! The next Rogue has got to be best in class and please bring back a manual tranny... or at least the paddle shifters with the CVT!

philipa_240sx

Here are some highlights of the new CX-5 (Canadian spec)

All models:
- Available 6spd MT on base FWD model. All others (inc AWD models) get the Skyactiv 6AT with sport/manual shift
- Fob type key with pushbutton start.
- Auto on/off headlights.
- Heated mirrors
- Rear spoiler
- Steering wheel mounted cruise and audio buttons
- Drive computer
- Power windows with driver one touch up/down
- USB and aux input for audio system
- Reclining (folding?) front passenger seat

Some of the features on the mid GS and top GT models:
- Power moonroof
- Full feature intelligent key
- Rain sensing wipers
- Dual zone climate control
- Blind spot warning system
- Rearview camera
- 40/20/40 split rear seat, fold down armrest, and remote release from cargo area
- Optional heated cloth seats
- 19" wheels
- Color screen for audio system
- Bose 9 speaker audio system with Nav and sat radio
- Bluetooth handsfree
- Power driver seat with power lumbar support
- Xenon HID with adaptive lighting and auto leveling

Overall, there are only a few features that aren't currently available on the 2012 Rogue. However, Mazda has packaged more features in the base and mid-range model. EPA fuel economy is best in class (non-hybrid): 26/35mpg city/hwy 6 MT and 25/31 city/hwy 6AT

kerrton

Looks good, let us know what you think after you test drive (and/or purchase!!).

I'm curious about the audio interface, you list color screen but is it a touch interface? With the masses obsessed with smart phones, apps and tablets, and with all the tight competition in every vehicle category it's the touch screen vehicle interface that may make or break a vehicle. Ford made a smart move a few years ago and teamed up with Microsoft to bring us MyFord Touch, version 2.0 is out now and promises to be much improved. Hyundai/Kia have a similar system they call "UVO", and all manufacturers are clamouring to compete in this area.

The direction it's heading is basically for an integrated onbaord "smart phone/tablet" that controls all user-configurable settings (heat, a/c, audio etc) and lets you access the internet, download apps, play movies for passengers, and even create a WIFI hotspot from your vehicle for other devices to connect to and interact with (imagine starting your car using your smart phone).

I personally am not very concerned about these bells and whistles, powertrain, comfort and overall build quality are by far the primary concerns. But as these devices become more common and integrated with every day life they will become more standard requirements.

Anyway, the CX5 will be a strong competitor for the Rogue and I too get excited about the manual trans, we're loving our Sorento with manual that we purchased for my wife last year but miss our Mazda3 at times - the CX5 may be on my radar when I go to replace my Rogue in 2 or 3 years, depending on how the new Rogue competes and I've also got my eye on the much larger and more expensive redesigned Pathfinder.........too many good choices!

philipa_240sx

Kerrton,

No idea on the touchscreen. I've driven a Ford Edge with My Touch... I didn't like it. Fortunately, Mazda still uses much simpler knobs and switches for the controls which I prefer.

I've seen some preliminary pricing. Base models start at $23k and a loaded GT with AWD, leather and nav goes for $34. There is only 2 option packages:

GX convenience pkg:
- Alloy wheels
- Bluetooth with steering wheel ctrls
- Color display screen
- Privacy glass
- HD radio

GT Tech pkg:
- Xenon HID headlamps
- Nav system
- Sirius radio

kerrton

I'm with you, big basic knobs, simple is better. I drive a couple Ford's for work and they have so many small buttons that I never know what I'm doing and it's a real distraction. Regarding the touch screen infotainment system, this is low on my priority list but I think for many people this is quite important. I just looked at the Mazda Canada site and they have the quote "No. 1 in Perceived Quality", so if perceptions are reality then Mazda is a genuine competitor - we definately felt that our Mazda3 was much higher quality than anything we've every owned in the past.

I can't say I'm thrilled that Mazda requires you to purchase a tech package to get the touch screen interface, Bluetooth, and Sat radio - most competitors offer this on all models as a base offering. However, in Mazda's defense the packages seem fairly reasonably priced, around $1400.

I know you're set on the Mazda and I too really like the brand, but I'd recommend just taking a peak at the Kia Sportage specs. It's the same size as the CX5, has all kinds of awards (best new small crossover etc.), it comes in a manual trans AND even the base models come loaded with Bluetooth, Sat radio, heated seats, tinted glass etc - the base price is only $650 more than the Mazda and you get all those items that Mazda charges extra for in their packages, as well you get a 2.4L engine with 6spd manual that makes 176 hp - we have this engine in our larger Sorento and it has plenty of power so I'm sure it is amazing in the lighter Sportage. Also Kia gives you a better warranty, 5 years bumper-to-bumper rather than 3 with all others.

Just a thought, the test drive is always the best indicator, check out the CX5 for comfort and practicality. I'm curious how the new SkyActiv powertrain will hold up for long term reliability, but I think Mazda has very good engineering and testing protocols unlike Dodge for example who uses their customers to test vehicles. I'm excited to hear how you like it after you test drive!

By the way - this relates to the Nissan Rogue forum in the sense that the competitors have really raised the bar and I'm anticipating this will only stimulate Nissan to make the redesigned Rogue that much better to keep up. The stiff competition can only benefit consumers!

philipa_240sx

Sorry, this post is slightly OT. ;)

philipa_240sx

Mazda has released Canadian pricing here:

http://mazda.ca/MciWeb/displayPage.acti ... =CX5#/home

US Specs only here:

http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage ... leCode=CX5

US Pricing:

http://www.torquenews.com/108/mazda-set ... -crossover

Interesting to note the much wider array of option packages on the US spec vehicles.

Mazda is being aggressive on pricing for the base models undercutting the Nissan Rogue by $700-$1000. However, to make it a fair comparison you need to tack on ~$1200 for the 6spd automatic to match the Rogue's CVT which wipes out the price advantage. Still, a less expensive entry level model will appeals to some consumers.

Rogue S - Cdn: $23,778
CX-5 GX 6MT - Cdn: $22,995
CX-5 GX 6AT - Cdn: $24,195

Rogue S - USA: $21,840
CX-5 Base 6MT - USA: $20,695
CX-5 Base 6AT - USA: $22,095

kerrton

Keep in mind the CX5 is a little smaller than the Rogue, I've always thought of it to be in a different class but the delineation between classes is so fine that it is debateable. Without looking at all the detailed specs and options, I'm going to venture a guess that the Rogue has a slight advantage here, it is a slightly larger vehicle and as per your numbers the price is slightly lower comparing auto trans models.

Of course there are a lot of subjective factors at play here, the CX5 is being marketed towards the driving enthusist who value the "Zoom-Zoom" experience, the Skyactiv powertrain is also more efficient than the Rogue. Another big factor will be the 2.0L engine, I would normally consider this to be a little on the small side but with direct injection and a lot of other cutting edge techno upgrades it may be a wonderful powertrain, only a test drive will tell. The Rogue QR25 engine is a proven reliable powerplant, although somewhat unrefined and noisy at times, whereas Mazda's 2.0 is unproven and the level of refinement vs. harshness/vibration is also unproven.

Overall a tough comparison for me, the Rogue is getting close to a redesign in the next year or two which will change the scorecard again, I'm expecting big things in the powertrain department for the next Rogue.......bottom line, both are great vehicles!

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

philipa_240sx wrote:EPA fuel economy is best in class (non-hybrid): 26/35mpg city/hwy 6 MT and 25/31 city/hwy 6AT
Wait one more year and you will get the choice of a diesel engine (word from a Mazda saleperson at the last Montreal Autoshow).
With all the miles that you do, you should consider that way.
Diesel engines are great because you got a lot of torque at low rpms. That gives you the impression of a bigger engine from a start or low speed (impression I got driving my dad's new diesel Renault Scenic at Christmas).
Definitely the way to go in the years to come.

philipa_240sx

kerrton wrote:Keep in mind the CX5 is a little smaller than the Rogue, I've always thought of it to be in a different class but the delineation between classes is so fine that it is debateable. Without looking at all the detailed specs and options, I'm going to venture a guess that the Rogue has a slight advantage here...
Kerrton,

I checked and the CX-5 is near identical to the Rogue dimension wise! It's not actually a smaller vehicle, it just gives you the impression that it is.

Here are the published dimensions from each mfg. website. Keep in mind that dimensions do not tell the whole story, you need to sit in each vehicle for a 'real world' comparison.

Dimensions: 2012 Rogue => 2013 CX5
Wheelbase: 2690mm => 2700mm
Length: 4655mm => 4555mm
Width: 1800mm => 1840mm
Height: 1683mm => 1710mm
Cargo Volume (Seats up): 818L => 966L
Cargo Volume (Seats down): 1639L => 1835L
Headroom (no moonroof): 1026mm => 1018mm
Legroom - Front: 1080mm => 1041mm
Legroom - Rear: 897mm => 997mm
Curb Weight (base model FWD, automatic): 1564kg => 1488kg

Please note: I apologize to our American friends, I used Canadian spec vehicles and the units are in metric for this comparison.

the price is slightly lower comparing auto trans models.
The CX-5 only enjoys a price advantage with the manual trans. As soon as you option in the Skyactiv-Drive 6AT, the difference in negligible compared to the Rogue.
Last edited by philipa_240sx on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

philipa_240sx

BTW, do NOT draw too many conclusions from the dimensions. Interior volume calculations are subject to a variety of factors. Real world 'usable' leg room, cargo volume, etc will be based on a number of factors.

Example: I find the rear seat in the CX-5 a bit more snug compared to the Rogue. However, the numbers indicate there is more legroom in the CX-5! It could simply have been the position of the front seat during my test drive that made the CX-5 fell smaller.

philipa_240sx

Pescakl1 wrote:Wait one more year and you will get the choice of a diesel engine (word from a Mazda saleperson at the last Montreal Autoshow).
IMHO, the Skyactiv-D diesel is all but confirmed for 2013. I am sure we will see it.

Modern diesels have overcome many of the issues that once plagued them, but I think any potential owner needs to fully understand what they are buying. They do have some unique characteristics and requirements that are different from a gasoline engine.

Return to “Rogue Forum”