2011 Quest Steering Noise

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
gavinlarson
Car: 2011 Quest SL

I have a 2011 Quest SL that I bought about 3 months ago. I've noticed that it makes a sort of high-pitched whine from the power steering assembly when I turn the steering wheel. When I'm driving, the road noise drowns it out, but when I'm pulling in and out of my garage, or moving slowly in a parking lot, etc. it's pretty annoying. I took it to the dealer and they initially told me that it was low on power steering fluid, but then they changed their minds and said that it's normal for this new electro-hydaulic steering system...and that every new Quest on their lot makes the same noise. I didn't have time to verify this claim (by listening to other Quests), but it seems hard to believe that it's normal for a brand new car to make this annoying whine. Anyone else with a 2011 Quest have this weird steering whine (only audible when turning the wheel when the van is stopped, or moving slowly enough that road noise doesn't drown out the sound)?

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Ask your service adviser to check for technical service bulletins related to your issue. Have you checked the power steering fluid level yourself?

gavinlarson

They told me that they checked technical service bulletins and found something that said the noise is normal. I checked the fluid myself before taking it to them, and if it was low, it was only very slightly low.

EDIT: I just checked the power steering fluid again last night (making sure the engine was nice and cold), and it is exactly half way between the Max and Min lines. Given that the manual says the fluid level should be between those lines when cold, I'm thinking it's probably fine...but I might just fill it up to the Max line, to see if it quiets down at all (assuming I can find a dealer who has the elusive "PSF-E" in stock).

mikedadrumma
Car: 2011 Quest SV

I have noticed the same thing. I always just assumed that it was part of the electronic assisted steering???

gavinlarson

I did actually go back to the dealer later and listen to other new Quests on the lot, and they all did it. So apparently it is just the funky electro-hydraulic steering.

vuptran
Car: Quest 2011

Maybe you're not lucky, my Quest does not have any noise that

Return to “Quest Forum”