2010 G37 Battery Drain

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
dbaxRonin
Car: 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400
2010 Infiniti G37x AWD Coupe (Traded in)
2001 Infiniti i30L (Traded in)

Last week we had a mini polar vortex hit us and I thought that finally killed off my still stock battery in my 2010 G37x. So, I headed to AutoZone and picked up a new Gold Duralast. During the swap, I used a memory saver to keep my ECU/Radio/Window settings in tact and everything went swimmingly. Figured that the problem was solved.

I haven't used the car that much since the change over, and its only been 5 days since I did it. This morning I got in the car and found that the new battery is dead as a door nail.

I verified that all the lights are off and no accessories are plugged in (The only thing I have is phone charger). The car is completely stock, I have made no changes to anything.

I reckon a parasitic drain test is in order, but was just curious if this is a known-issue for this car that somebody may know something about. Open for suggestions on any home-analysis I could do as well. TYIA!

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

dbaxRonin wrote:Last week we had a mini polar vortex hit us and I thought that finally killed off my still stock battery in my 2010 G37x. So, I headed to AutoZone and picked up a new Gold Duralast. During the swap, I used a memory saver to keep my ECU/Radio/Window settings in tact and everything went swimmingly. Figured that the problem was solved.

I haven't used the car that much since the change over, and its only been 5 days since I did it. This morning I got in the car and found that the new battery is dead as a door nail.

I verified that all the lights are off and no accessories are plugged in (The only thing I have is phone charger). The car is completely stock, I have made no changes to anything.

I reckon a parasitic drain test is in order, but was just curious if this is a known-issue for this car that somebody may know something about. Open for suggestions on any home-analysis I could do as well. TYIA!
It is entirely possible that the new battery was either defective or did not have a full charge.
Pick up a battery hydrometer to test individual cells.

An electrical multimeter can tell you how much current is being drawn from the battery when everything is turned off.

Good luck

Telcoman

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

If you didn't put many miles on the new battery then I would agree it could have simply been drained by the ultra-cold air. Besides a parasitic drain you could have an alternator issue as well (just had that happen in my '07 sedan). Charge the battery/jump the vehicle and then make sure you are seeing over 14v at the terminals to ensure the alternator is charging (or at least 1v higher than the voltage of the battery but not less than 13.x volts)

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”