2008 g37s not going above 2400rpm and SEL tripped

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
scottrf8
Car: 2008 G37S

Hey everybody,
I have an 08 G37s. Friday night the SEL went off and then I couldn't go above 2400 rpms. It shifts through the gears just fine, fluctuates slightly when idle. I pulled the codes and its giving me p0300 (multicylinder misfire) and p0011 (intake timing control b1). I took it to an Infiniti dealership today and they seem to think it needs both b1 and b2 timing covers replaced as well as a full engine flush. The kicker is they put a disclaimer saying this may not fix the issue. Oh yeah, and its 2 grand worth of parts/labor. I have spoken to other people and they seem to think it may just be an issue with the mass air flow sensor .. Any thoughts? Do I take it from the dealership, drive it to my mechanic (first repair with the Infiniti, thought it smart to take it to a dealership who specializes in Infiniti) but now I am second guessing ... Not sure what to do? Think a second opinion/local garage is a better bet? Thanks in advance..

Starter
Car: 13 G37X sedan
11 G37S sedan

Timing covers replaced??? Engine flush??? What kind of gibberish is that? You should get your framistat replaced too while they're at it. For 2 grand they damn sure better fix it.

Cleaning the MAF on the other hand may just fix your problem.

scottrf8

They're exact diagnosis was:

Recommend replacing B1 and B2 timing covers, timing control solenoids have a magnetic clutch which engages the vvel feature of the engine. Debris builds up on the magnetic clutches with lack of timely oil changes, and then when the oil is changed it knocks the debris off and creates a gap which does not allow a connection to happen, and then it sets a check engine light. I'm will also recommend an engine flush to help clean the internal engine parts, but both timing covers will need to be replaced or you will definitely be back with the same problem. Please note that this is the first step, if this does not remedy the issue, then further diagnosis will be required
Technician Advice from Paul B.

Seem legit???

scottrf8

Btw, the covers are supposedly $630 a piece.

Starter
Car: 13 G37X sedan
11 G37S sedan

scottrf8 wrote:They're exact diagnosis was:

Recommend replacing B1 and B2 timing covers, timing control solenoids have a magnetic clutch which engages the vvel feature of the engine. Debris builds up on the magnetic clutches with lack of timely oil changes, and then when the oil is changed it knocks the debris off and creates a gap which does not allow a connection to happen, and then it sets a check engine light. I'm will also recommend an engine flush to help clean the internal engine parts, but both timing covers will need to be replaced or you will definitely be back with the same problem. Please note that this is the first step, if this does not remedy the issue, then further diagnosis will be required
Technician Advice from Paul B.

Seem legit???
No. From the tone of your first post it would seem you've had the car for a while. (1) I assume you did regular maintenance. So "lack of timely oil changes"? (2) The oil filter should have taken any "debris". (3) Why would new oil "knock off" debris that older oil didn't? (4) The "debris" is a magnetic media which allows everything to work until it's "knocked off" and leaves a gap? That also would imply that the "debris" is solid enough to force a gap to open in the first place. If there was debris it might clog a gap, but force one open? (5) The kicker here is that they want you to fork over 2 Gs with no assurance it will fix the problem. That is not the advice you'll get from a Technician. It is advice you'll get from either a parts changer or a thief.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”