2008 G35 stalling

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
DrewQ45

Hello, all. Just helping out a friend and thought I might try posting here.

As said in the title, this is an 08' G35 sedan with 120K. The car tends to sometime stall at low speeds while coming to stop, or while moving off from a standing position, such as at a stop light. She almost got rammed in the back a few times so I'm trying to help her get it resolved asap. The car starts right back up when cranked.

Now... it is due for plugs so that might be a contributor but I'm thinking along the lines of a sensor, such as TPS or IAC valve. I just wanted to see if there is predominant issue with these cars, that might be causing it. Obviously, I'm a Q guy (well used to be) so not as familiar with the G.

Thanks in advance ... Drew....

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

No "check engine" light with this?

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

First thing I'd try is cleaning the TB's. Do a little digging around about this, because you have to be careful not to break stuff. Also you want to make sure you don't remove the harness connector on the TB or the tubes, otherwise you may have to make the TB "re-learn"...

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Get your plugs done and when you do them clean out your TB's with some TB cleaner (spray TB's and wipe what you can without moving the throttle...don't disconnect any of the hoses to the TB's either) and wipe with a cloth as good as possible. If those don't help as much then the issue could be with your MAF's.

gears
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35

I have a 2008 G35 with this exact same issue. I have taken it to 3 different mechanics, including an Infiniti dealership, and have gotten 4 different diagnoses. Meanwhile, the problem keeps getting worse. First mechanic (and third...took it back to him after going to the dealership), said that it was a bad valve timing gear(?) and would cost about $700 to replace. Then, I took it to Infiniti and they said it was something else (I'll post up what exactly they said, if it'll help fix this issue) that would cost $1800 to patch and $4000 to fix! That's not a misprint. Four large to fix a car I paid $9500 for. Of course, this did not happen. I told the rep that if I did $4k in damage in a wreck, the car would be totaled. I asked if they could just increase the idle speed since the only time the car stalls is when it's warm and at idle...and only does it intermittently. Of course, this would be far too simple (and cheap) for the dealership to do, so they didn't even humor me and try it. Took it back to mechanic #1 and he gave me another diagnosis! Then, my wife dropped it off at this other guy, today. I didn't trust this guy at all because he had told me that the fix for my Jeep would cost about $2000, when all I had to do was put on a $70 steering stabilier shock. Anyways, this guy is her nephew's stepfather and she wanted to give him a chance. What does he say? The transmission is bad. Well, of course it is...lol. This is why I don't trust him, specifically, and mechanics in general. It kicks out a code, the guy plugs it in to the diagnostics computer and arbitrarily believes whatever the code says, without exploring the possibility that the car's computer might be compensating for the fact that the car is shutting off at a time it's not supposed to, and kicking out a code. Either way...I've got to do something. I want to start with a simple spray fuel intake cleaner, then increase the idle speed, either manually or electronically. If that doesn't work, then replace the cam position sensors and crank position sensor. If anyone knows a better way or has had issuse with this, I'm all ears. There was a recall for this very thing on earlier models, but no-go with this year model.

Thanks

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Have you read or followed the troubleshooting in the FSM?

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2008/EC.pdf

Telcoman

erikmatey

I know this is an old post, but here's hoping...

I'm having this same issue:
2008 G35 147,700 miles
Stalling at low speeds - coming off a rolling start, much like in stop and go traffic. Will start right back up

TB's and MAF have been cleaned - Camshaft Sensor A has been replaced.

Please help - seems as the problem is worsening.

Vapingmadmechanic

Check oil pressure at idle when warmed up. Could be the oil passage plates on the rear timing cover leaking. Aside from that, most common causes are dirty throttle bodies. Wipe them down and have an Idle Air Volume learn done at the dealer.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”