2007 Versa SL showing signs of wear on engine too early...need some advice

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
RSmithUSNR
Car: Nissan Versa SL CVT

Hello all,

I have a 2007 Versa SL with 48500. Last week after a 20+ highway ride home, I stopped at a red light after leaving the highway and the service engine came on. No signs of anything strange going on with the vehicle, as I take care of the car's maintenance very well. As I sped up when the light turned green I could hear the engine sound like it was struggling to change gears. Oh by the way it's not the 6-speed, but the CVT that I own.

After I got home that night, I went back out to the car to ride it around the development and noticed that the car was gurgling like a 30 year old junker and stalled out on me. The next day I took it to the Nissan dealership here in PA and they told me that I was low on oil, but my oil light never came on. I asked them what could have caused the service engine light to illuminate and they said it could have been several things, but there is nothing wrong with the engine.

$130 later, the car stalls on me again, this time while I was idle at a stop sign, the engine came gurgling to a halt without warning. I took it back to the mechanic today. Of course they couldn't replicate this issue and told me that there is no signs of any engine damage or codes that they could see that could be causing these issues I am having.

So, that's my frustrating story and I am not sure where to go from here. I love my Versa, but at the same time with this small amount of mile that I have on the vehicle, it's acting like it's going to die out before it's time and leave me high & dry so to speak. Any ideas or advice on this? Should I take it to another Nissan mechanic and see if they can determine the cause of my stalling issues and speeding up issues?

Any help on this would be great...thank you all for your time.

Regards,Rob

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Possible fuel pump issue making the engine strain for fuel?? I dunno..just a thought.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Fuel pump or something to do with idle air control would be my guess.

Andrews Chalmers
Car: Versa '07 SL CVT

Take it another dealer.

If the service engine light came on - there would be a code. I'm not sure if the Versa will flash a low-oil light - but you should start checking your own engine oil level.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

^ Yep.

Keep hammering the service managers until you get a good answer. Not acceptable.

RSmithUSNR
Car: Nissan Versa SL CVT

I am on my way to get the car now...I am not sure if they did check the fuel pump or the idle air control, but I am going to take it early next week to another mechanic and see what they find if anything different...

It just seems awfully odd that something like this springs out of nowhere and nothing mechanically is found wrong...but if you heard the engine you could hear that it doesn't sound right at all...

Thank you all again for your advice on this...I will keep checking back in case anyone has encountered this or has more advice to offer.

Knightro2

You can also always take it to Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts before dark and have them check for any history of codes. It's a free service.

Red Devil
Car: 1990 240SX w/t SR20 and 08 Nissan Versa SL

Definantly sounds like fuel related. Didn't a bunch of V's have issues with the fuel pump?

How do you mean by changing gears? The CVT doesn't have gears in the technical sense. The Versa's CVT uses a belt and 2 pullies to manipulate engine RPM and the "gear".

Another question, what are your driving habits?

versahatch831
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa Hatchback

Trade it in!!! My Versa had similar problems. It Hesitated starting and the RPMs dropped lower than normal at a light. I am truly disappointed, the car has 29,000 miles!!! The dealer cannot duplicate the problem so they wont attempt to correct the problem. At this rate I do not think it will get to the miles that my 1990 Toyota Previa is at (295,000) and still going strong. Moral of this story is BUY A TOYOTA!! i regret not doing so.

BBISHOPPCM
Car: 2006 Murano S/AWD w/ Convenience Package

versahatch831 wrote:Trade it in!!! My Versa had similar problems. It Hesitated starting and the RPMs dropped lower than normal at a light. I am truly disappointed, the car has 29,000 miles!!! The dealer cannot duplicate the problem so they wont attempt to correct the problem. At this rate I do not think it will get to the miles that my 1990 Toyota Previa is at (295,000) and still going strong. Moral of this story is BUY A TOYOTA!! i regret not doing so.
This type of response is not acceptable. Go buy your Toyota and bask in all that is Barack Obama. I've made a lengthy post regarding these USELESS types of responses in my "Reliability Revisited" post. Please read.

Back to your legitimate question;

The previous posts suggesting the fuel pump are on target. I am surprised there are no stored codes... is the engine light still on? Next time it comes on, bring it to your mechanic of choice and ask him/her what codes are being generated.

The problem may also be as simple as water in the fuel tank. The season is right, and as I mentioned on another thread, I has some water in my tank that was causing the engine to fail to start. This actually happened on another vehicle of mine around this time of year. The ethanol used in fuels today can attract moisture, much in the way brake fluid does. Something to try; buy two bottles of "STP Gas Treatment," it can be found at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store. This particular treatment contains isopropyl alcohol, which will help absorb the water in your tank. Pour in both bottles on a full tank and drive around until you have about a quarter of a tank left, then refill with a good brand-name fuel. I would take it in for service anyway, but heck, this might fix it!

1_Sleek_Versa
Car: 08 Nissan versa SL

Hey RSmithUSNR,

I have a 08 Versa SL with CVT and 9000 km. I got all the same symptoms as your car.

The car stalled for no reason, my RPM was rocking 1000 to 3000 at idle and one day the car did not start at all. No check engine light though.

The dealership replaced the fuel pump and pressure regulator and it solved this problem.

By the way you should start checking your fluid levels by yourself, might help you in the future.

Slither

Oil issue - check the ground where you park for any sign of leaks.

This stalling issue is frustrating for you. The dealer needs to go to bat more and provide you better follow-up on cause/resolution. In the meantime won't they provide a loaner? You don't want to be stalling while driving. That is a safety issue for you and other traffic.

greggie195
Car: 09 Versa SL

I know this off topic.....but what the hell does liking a Toyota have to do with Obama???? I read your previous post and agreed 100% with people complaining about little things and posting pointless bashes. But how and why did you work Obama into this???? Im confused.

versula
Car: VERSA

Yeah I really have to say that I agree with greggie. I mean you act all indignant about bashing then go and do it yourself. Makes your point seem pointless.

faction
Car: Versa

I'm right at 50k miles and my check engine light came on too. I checked the owners manual and it said to make sure the gas cap was on properly and to drive it for a few trips to see if it will turn off (which mine eventually did-thank god!). I didn't have weird engine noises though, and I don't know if a loose gas cap would cause that, but it might be worth a try.

good luck.

BBISHOPPCM
Car: 2006 Murano S/AWD w/ Convenience Package

Yeah, I was being a real a$$hole then... sorry guys! I just know alot of Obama lovers who drive Toyotas.

Knightro2

I'm an Obama lover who drives a Nissan!

Ok, enough with the politics...that's for the other forum.

Red Devil

faction wrote: I checked the owners manual and it said to make sure the gas cap was on properly and to drive it for a few trips to see if it will turn off (which mine eventually did-thank god!). I didn't have weird engine noises though, and I don't know if a loose gas cap would cause that, but it might be worth a try.

good luck.
It's written right on the gas cap......

faction
Car: Versa

Who gets their face down that close to the gas cap?

Unless you like to huff gas fumes....

Ryan-H
Car: 2006 Nissan Tiida ST Sedan 6 speed

faction wrote:I'm right at 50k miles and my check engine light came on too. I checked the owners manual and it said to make sure the gas cap was on properly and to drive it for a few trips to see if it will turn off (which mine eventually did-thank god!). I didn't have weird engine noises though, and I don't know if a loose gas cap would cause that, but it might be worth a try.

good luck.
yeah whenever you put on the gas cap make sure there are more than 3 clicks of torque this will eliminate this problem.

Red Devil

It's not like it's microscopic. If you look for it it's there.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”