2007 M35 Subwoofer Installation

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
sunoco
Car: 2007 M35 Sport
H-Techs
C-Mod Grille

Just to let everyone know - the "subwoofer install HOW TO" at the top of the forum isnt for a y50 (the title says m35/45. Its for the y34. PLEASE change that - or better yet - remove it. Its no good to anyone without the pictures.

I decided to install aftermarket sub and amp. I had 2 Infiniti 1252w subs and an Alpine MRP-M500 amp from my truck, and a dual 12 box still from my civic. After HOURS of searching (or trying to, whats up with the "search" on the forum? Its probably easier to aquire nuclear launch codes than it is to find your answer if you use the search) and what seemed like a lot of useless info, I took all the panels out of the trunk, removed the bottom of the back seat, removed the bottom door moldings and removed the glovebox to run my power wire to my new amp. I used 6 ga wire, and ran it on the passenger side, going through the cabin filter area.

I installed a LOC converter coming off the factory sub. (bass DOES NOT decrease as volume goes up)
I did it first to the speaker wires at the amp, but the volume on the head unit wouldnt turn the sub down. So if the volume was all the way down, the subs were still going. It was strange.

Also, I dont know what people are talking about when they say the trunk is so sealed the bass doesnt make it to the cabin. It hits pretty hard.

Anyway, I have alot of pictures of the process, I will post them as soon as I can.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

lol. Funny post (nuclear launch codes, etc.).

I wrote the FAQ so I will make the necessary changes. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I added Y35 to the title of that link.

Definitely write up a HowTo ("HowTo: Install A Subwoofer In A 2006+ M" maybe?) on how to do a sub install cause I'm planning to do one as well (sub install) and if you don't do it I probably will anyway (make a HowTo).

My other recommendation is to probably follow the same format I use for my HowTo's as it's pretty clear and concise and helps the rookie mechanics out a bit and know what to expect:

IlyaKol wrote:
[Explanation of what you're doing]

*Disclaimer* - I am not liable for anything you do to your car. This is just a basic walkthrough.

Task:
Time:
Product: If applicable
Tools/Supplies Needed:
Process:

1)
2)
3)
etc.
Definitely looking forward to seeing a HowTo. Can't wait actually.

Good luck!

sunoco
H-Techs
C-Mod Grille

2007 M35 Subwoofer Installation.

*Disclaimer* - I am not liable for anything you do to your car. This is just a basic walkthrough. If you have never done an audio install, I wouldn't practice on the M.

Task: Subwoofer Installation
Time: A couple hours (took me a little longer, as it was night time and I didnt have the correct info!)
Tools/Supplies Needed: Flathead screwdriver (to remove clips holding trunk liners and engine cover panels)
10mm & 12mm socket (to remove battery and connect power wire)
Line output converter
Amplifier, Subwoofer(s), and Subwoofer enclosure (DUH!)
3M Scotchlok connectors (Wal-mart has them. You can use the blue or reds. I bought a little kit that had both. (Sold where the fuses and stuff are.)
Amp hook-up kit (I got a 6ga Scoshe from wal mart)

Process:

The first thing I did was remove every panel/liner from the trunk. They are held on by black clips. Take the flathead and "pop" out the center of the clip. Then the whole clip will pop off. Looks like this stripped:

Next take out the battery. Start by taking off passenger side engine panels. You need to take off the piece attached to the window too. Everything is held on by the same clips as the trunk liner. Use 10 mm socket to remove battery holder. Disconnect battery wires (10mm) and pull out battery.
Next remove the panels on the bottom of both passenger doors. They just pop off.
Take the glovebox off. This is easy, but I didnt really take any pics. Open it, and pull the left side out right. The peg thing holding it in will come out. Kinda twist it and it will come out. Note the sting attached on the right side (its what makes it come down slow. It just pops off. Pop it off

Now its time to run the battery wire. I ran it from the back to the front. Most people would run it front front to back. I think my kit came with 16' of wire so I had more than enough. I will describe how to run it back to front since thats the way I did it.

I started at the rear passenger seat. Pull it back and shove the wire through this hole:

Next, run the wire up towards the front :

Through the door pillar :

Up to front firewall :

I went through the cabin filter area to get to engine bay. I drilled a hole just big enough for the wire to come through. Then, from the engine bay, I stuck a coat hanger through the hole. I taped the wire to it in the car and pulled it through.

Now its time to tap the sub wires. Its real easy. Unplug the connector from the factory sub, and tap into both lines with the 3m connectors

Now, tap the remote wire from the factory amp. Its on the white harness, and the wire is SOLID BROWN. Its the only brown one in the white connector. :

Now run the ground:

Now your basically done. Hook the speaker wire coming from the factory sub you just tapped to the line output converter. You only need to use one set of wires. Hook the rca's to the amp. Hook the power, ground, and remote to the amp. Hook the battery cable in the engine bay to the fuse block, then to the battery. Test it. I adjusted the gain on the LOC and the amp with the bass turned down on the head unit, that way I can turin it up from the HU. If it works, button everything back up and youre done!!!!! #WINNING!!!

Im sorry if this write up sucks, lol. Its my first. But I think you should be able to do it pretty easily from this. Let me know if you have any questions, Im not going anywhere.

a.blanco0905
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

It's actually a pretty good write up man!!! When I was younger I used to "need" to have an amp and subwoofers in my car, I dont anymore, age is a mofo, lol... now I buy different types of sh*t with my $$$.

sunoco
H-Techs
C-Mod Grille

lol. Yeah I jus turned 24 and Ive never had a car without subs (the M is my 6th car). I wasnt going to install subs, but I already had everything from my truck (and a spare box from my old civic) except the wiring kit.

a.blanco0905
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

I'm actually not even 30 yet (couple of months til) but for some reason I just dont bother anymore, lol...

bbs350z
Car: 350z built tt
350z st track whore
m35x daily
evo 8- 30r sold

a.blanco0905 wrote:I'm actually not even 30 yet (couple of months til) but for some reason I just dont bother anymore, lol...
21 here, never had a car with subs+amp and im 7 deep lol. not very big on the sound stuff, and the stock m setup is more than dandy for me

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

sunoco wrote:I installed a LOC converter coming off the factory sub. (bass DOES NOT decrease as volume goes up)

Im glad someone else says that too. I tried saying that originally and gave arguments for why the bass didnt decrease like people think, but no one cared and they all said I have no idea what im talking about.

bbs350z wrote:21 here,
Your only 21 and have all that stuff with your cars? Dang. Rich boy over there.

CGinev
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35 S

Not a bad write up! A couple points I'd like to make. When going through the firewall, there's a rubber grommet directly to the left of the cabin filter. The hole through the air box is a chafe point and could potentially rub through the power wire sheathing. Same deal in the back when going through the back seat into the trunk area...there is a grommet on the top left portion of the rear firewall. At the very least, I'd recommend sliding a plastic grommet into both of those holes.

Good job on the rest!

1_Fast_M
Car: '07 Infiniti M35

a.blanco0905 wrote:I'm actually not even 30 yet (couple of months til) but for some reason I just dont bother anymore, lol...
nice and clean set up, i got the same one but i have a single SUB from Orion 12, that bit,,, Moves good

New2Import
Car: 06 M45

Have a pic loc converter?

WirelessAndy
Car: 2011 G37S
Lapis Blue
UpRev
Still Gen 3 intake

Excellent write up.

Sadly, I'm 42 and I see all those steps and I want to take a nap instead. I'll stick to the factory sub or get a shop to do it! :)

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Nice write up man. Will definitely be using this for my sub install.

Adding this to the FAQ thread.

sunoco
H-Techs
C-Mod Grille

A couple points I'd like to make. When going through the firewall, there's a rubber grommet directly to the left of the cabin filter. The hole through the air box is a chafe point and could potentially rub through the power wire sheathing. Same deal in the back when going through the back seat into the trunk area...there is a grommet on the top left portion of the rear firewall. At the very least, I'd recommend sliding a plastic grommet into both of those holes.
I understand what you are saying, but I am not going to install a grommet. I saw the factory grommet in the front firewall. It was about 3:00am at that point and I didnt even feel like messing with it. It looked like a PIA to get to through the cabin. As far as the one in the back, Im not sure I saw it, there again it was late/early morning.

I think they will be fine. If that wire is moving around enough to rub through the sheathing, something is terribly wrong.

CGinev
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35 S

I've been in the car audio business for 15 years now...you'd be surprised how many power wires i've seen arching out causing or nearly causing a fire due to rubbing through the sheathing. It's just advice. Whether you take it or not is definitely up to you. I'm just putting it out there for everyone else.

mycross3
Car: 07 M45 Sport

Nice Thread.

I put a 13 in JL sub in the corner of my trunk

sunoco
H-Techs
C-Mod Grille

I saw yours before. You got any pictures of the install? Did you make the box?

WirelessAndy
Lapis Blue
UpRev
Still Gen 3 intake

mycross3 wrote:Nice Thread.

Where did you get that? (Or make it??)

mycross3

I got it installed at a local shop that does all my stuff. This is a custom box, which they matched to my bourbon interior.

WirelessAndy
Lapis Blue
UpRev
Still Gen 3 intake

Wow. Do want!

The Bodyguard
Car: 08 M35 black loaded custom VIPDOUT
08 G35s sold 92k miles
08 M45s-sold 78k miles
07 M35-traded 53k miles
95 J30-sold 155k miles
Location: Cypress, TX (Houston) o.g. from southern cali (North Hollywood)!!

This setup looks better IMO(You still have a trunk)!! If I were to upgrade to more bass this would be my #1 choice...Wheres the amp? Did you have a LOC installed? If not is it better sound/bass performance?

mycross3

The Bodyguard wrote:

This setup looks better IMO(You still have a trunk)!! If I were to upgrade to more bass this would be my #1 choice...Wheres the amp? Did you have a LOC installed? If not is it better sound/bass performance?
Amps are behind this panel

I have a JL clean sweep, JL XD 4 channel amp powering JL c3 component speakers and a Kicker ZX 750.1 powering JL tw5 13.5 thin line sub.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

Need to have it painted black

mycross3

EniGmA1987 wrote:Need to have it painted black
Why?? It matches my interior.

Ilya

mycross3 wrote:
EniGmA1987 wrote:Need to have it painted black
Why?? It matches my interior.
No one sees your interior when they are looking at your trunk. When they are looking at your trunk, it looks WAY out of place to me and I'm sure Enigma.

I'd paint it black or dark grey for sure as well. Blend it in. Makes it look less conspicuous.

sunoco
H-Techs
C-Mod Grille

Mycross - how are the panels held in place? Are the amps just mounted to the backside of the panel?

How does the sub sound? Any idea of the volume of the enclosure (cu. ft.)?

mycross3

No one sees your interior when they are looking at your trunk. When they are looking at your trunk, it looks WAY out of place to me and I'm sure Enigma.
I'd paint it black or dark grey for sure as well. Blend it in. Makes it look less conspicuous.[/quote]

I don't drive w/ my trunk open for everyone to see :crazy: . So for me it's cool concept. My seats are bourbon and my carpet is black same concept.

Ilya

mycross3 wrote:
IlyaKol wrote:No one sees your interior when they are looking at your trunk. When they are looking at your trunk, it looks WAY out of place to me and I'm sure Enigma.

I'd paint it black or dark grey for sure as well. Blend it in. Makes it look less conspicuous.
I don't drive w/ my trunk open for everyone to see :crazy: . So for me it's cool concept. My seats are bourbon and my carpet is black same concept.
That's fine. This is a public forum and we're just voicing our opinions. At the end of the day, it's your car and you make it look how you like it.

No big deal.

mycross3

sunoco wrote:Mycross - how are the panels held in place? Are the amps just mounted to the backside of the panel?

How does the sub sound? Any idea of the volume of the enclosure (cu. ft.)?
The amps are screwed to the side panal of the trunk. The panals have small screws at the top to keep it in place. Not sure about the cubic volume. Sounds great! The subs depth is about 3inchs.

mycross3

That's fine. This is a public forum and we're just voicing our opinions. At the end of the day, it's your car and you make it look how you like it.

No big deal.[/quote]

I know this is a public forum for everyone to voice their opinion. I was merely explaining my reasons for choosing the color. Their's no animosity on my part. :naughty:

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”