2006 M45 - Error code P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
gtrplyr
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

Back story: I'm driving on the freeway, just about to exit. As I start to get off, I lose power steering and breaks. Roll to a stop at a stoplight and the engine dies. I start it back up and the dreaded SES, VDC OFF, SLIP lights are on. I limp it home, which was only a few blocks.

When starting the car, it take a while and struggles to turn over. Once it does, it idle's fine. Accelerating is a bit fluttery at first. If I give it too much gas it hesitates when changing gears. Once I get it going, it seems to be OK.

Hooked it up and pulled error code P0335 - P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction

It seems as though I should be able to replace this myself. I am by no means a mechanic, but I can follow directions. From what I understand the crankshaft sensor can only be accessed from underneath the car. So, I'll need to buy some jack stands to prop this sucker up while I try to play mechanic.

Questions -

1) Is this something I should be able to do myself relatively easily?
2) I know the Crankshaft Sensor and the Camshaft Sensor are the same part, but since the error code is P0335, I should be replacing the Crankshaft Sensor, correct?
3) Should I replace both sensors at the same time?

And if anyone has any links to videos or pics of changing the crankshaft sensor, that would be super helpful.

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

gtrplyr:

I haven't had to do this yet, but doesn't look to hard based on the FSM.
As soon as I throw this code, I'll be doing it myself and i'll take pictures.

May want to check out this thread so you can at least see the diagram on the M45 and where it is:

2006-m35-camshaft-sensors-t591632.html

when i put my new undertray from Tollboothwilley, I saw it and it is held in place by one bolt + the connector, so should be quite easy to do.
get yourself some sturdy jack stands or ramps (ramps are easier, just can't pull the tires off) and a slim profile 2-3 ton jack and you can do a whole lotta stuff on your ride.

don't know about changing both since I haven't had to do this yet, but might be smart to do it if you're swapping one out..."an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." swapped my PCV valves, spark plugs, and just changed my belts -- pretty darn easy once you've got the FSM and you look at the How To & FAQ section.

gtrplyr
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

Thanks. I'm going to pick up some ramps this afternoon and give it a shot. Hope I fit under there.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”