2005 Pathfinder Airbag Light Blinking - Diagnositic Mode/Reset Proceedure

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
rjmcfsr

I am re-posting a solution I found at the Nico Infiniti site that saved us the $125 that Nissan wanted to run a diagnostic check on our 2005 Pathfinder that had a blinking airbag warning light. Credit goes to the author Nitrogen:

"This worked on my 2002 I35. I don’t know if it'll work on other similar model years or not. I am pretty sure it will NOT work on anything older than 2002, and it probably won't work on anything newer than 2004. Again, it worked on my 2002, and that's all I know.First, turn on your car (ON key position) and your airbag light stays on for 7 seconds, then starts flashing every half second. (.5 seconds on, .5 seconds off, repeat)This means either your airbag is malfunctioning, or it malfunctioned in the past. We'll find out exactly what happened in a second.

If your airbag light is on solid the whole time, either your airbag has deployed, the computer thinks its deployed, or your sensor or wire harness is broken. You're going to need a professional to fix this.

If your light never comes on at all, your METER fuse might be blown, or you might have a wiring fault in an airbag circuit. Go directly to Infiniti and have a professional fix this.

OK, so your light is flashing like I explained before. Next, we're going to enter DIAGNOSIS mode. This mode will tell you exactly what’s wrong with your airbag (according to the computer at least) It's a bit tricky, but read carefully.

1. Turn ignition switch “ON”.2. After “AIR BAG” warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, [i.e. when it stops running solid and starts flashing] turn ignition switch “OFF” within 1 second. [DO NOT SWITCH IT TO LOCK, SWITCH IT TO ACC]3. Wait more than 3 seconds.4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 two times. (Perform 3 times in total.)5. Turn ignition switch “ON”.SRS is now in Diagnosis mode.

Try it a few times. If you can't get it to work, have someone else try. If you STILL can't get it to work, check your battery voltage. It might be low.

In diagnosis mode, you're going to hope the light flashes slowly. 2 seconds off, 3 seconds on, and repeats. If your light does this, this means that the computer detected a previous error that hasn't been erased. This is good.

If you get ANY OTHER result, go directly to Infiniti. You've got a real problem that needs a real fix.

Now, to erase the error from memory.

5. If “AIR BAG” warning lamp operates as [as I said before], turn ignition switch “OFF” to reset from Diagnosis modeto User mode and to erase the memory of the malfunction.

6. Turn ignition switch “ON”. “AIR BAG” warning lamp operates inUser mode. [it should stay on for 7 seconds, then go off, like normal.]

DON'T disconnect any yellow plugs like I did. Those yellow plugs mean they are part of the airbag system."

By: Nitrogen

slick86se
Car: 2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE

THANK YOU that worked perfectly on my 2006 Pathfinder se

g35rider007
Car: 04 Infinity G35 Sedan, 05 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Thanks so much for this post, it did help me a lot with my 05 nissan Pathfinder LE, it did also save me time and more important "money", I had this issue solved within 5 minutes following the easy steps described above, thanks so much for taking the time to post this thread, sincerely.

2paths
Car: 05 Pathfinder

Right on, this worked perfectly on my 2005 Pathfinder! I took out my seats to do a full detail of my interior, and in the process made the mistake of starting my truck when the seats were out. After that my airbag light was blinking. Thanks for the post and saving me some $$$!

Ian from Yorkshire
Car: Nissan Terrano 3.0 SVE

Hi and many thanks. Worked a treat on my 2004 Terrano 3.0 SVE.

davidsf
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

Works perfectly on a 2001 Infinity QX4. Thank you so much.

Flatline1121
Car: 1996 S14 RB25det s1
1997 S14 on jack stands
1986.5 MkIII Supra
2012 Honda Ruckus

I love you NICO. I work at best buy installing car audio and i wound up with this issue. All Fixed.

saved my a** for real.

docbeezer

Thanks so much!! WOrked on a 2011 Nissan Rogue...

ahmed_elshaer
Car: Infinity QX4 2001

it works for me also, but after few minutes it start flashing again. also after repeating this process. the error goes for few minutes then come again.
is there any solution?

vandy
Car: 2006 Nissan Pathfinder

Yikes, HELP!! My flashing air bag light .... I went through the steps, got it in diagnostic mode, now the Pathfinder is DEAD. It won't crank, the lights on the dash do not work, Nothing. Only the beep sound from the key in the ignition when the door opens. What should I do? I need this thing running TODAY!

Gasoof
Car: Nissan terrano 2004 sve 3litre

Great stuff Worked first time on my 2004 terrano SVE Thanks

QX4ME
Car: 02 Infiniti QX4 4WD
11 MB C300 Sports
06 Honda Odyssey

Wonderful instruction. Worked the 1st time on my 2002 QX4.
I like NICO site a lot and everyday I checked the site a few times regardless I have issues or not, questions or not...

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”