2005 Altima A/C issues

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
im_it1234

I have a 2005 Nissan Altima. It is the 3.5 with the sports package & premium sound system. The only things I do not have is leather and navigation. All of that is really irrelevent but I know people usually want more information than less.

The issue I have is that my AC is not working. I took it to an independent shop to look at it (one that I trusted or used to trust). I figured it would just be a recharge.....the mechanic does the dye test and then he tells me that the whole system is leaking. He would have to relpace everything....pressure hoses, condensor, evaporator etc. The charges complete to $2200. I say BS. I just cannot see how a car which is 5 years old would have this issue. I do not believe it. Now I used the A/C heavly in Altanta for 9 months/year but I do not think this would be an issue. Anyone else have this problem? I am tempted to take it to a dealership......I just cannot see a whole A/C system failing and I cannot believe it would cost 2200 to replace it all. I am not all that car savvy but I do know when I am getting screwed and I think I am getting screwed. On the phone the dealer mechanic said thereis no way in hell that the whole system could fail. Any thoughts?

ServiceManager
Car: 2009 g37x

recommend dealer ship to evacuate, recharge and add dye, book time is 1.4 evac and recharge before cost of refrigerant. general a/c diagnosis is 1.0 hr,(all dealer flat rate times,) multiply by hourly shop rate. Your closest dealer may have a flat fee for A/C diag though, everything wrong unlikely, possible compressor, most common, let a dealership use a a/c sniffer to find exact leak, it's possible your mechanic seen dye everywhere from blow back and is unsure so he quoted you full boat. I hope this helps,

CPS

9 times out of 10 it is the low side AC hose on the 3.5 cars. It's at the top of the engine and runs from the firewall to the compressor, so if it leaks, it spews stuff everywhere. Approximately $110 on the part, no idea on the labor charges.

im_it1234

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I just wanted to make sure I was not off and being overly questionable. This makes more sense to me.

altima03beast
Car: 2003 altima 3.5 auto mods nismo CAI , OBX Headers , StageII Valve Body UPgrade

Hi how are you doing i have a quick question. are all the 02 sensors for codes p0138/p0158 p0159/ p0037 all the same ? and another question i have p1126 does this mean its time to replace my throttle body?

jwerty1
Car: 08 versa sl cvt blue, 08 frontier se 4x4 kingcab 6sp storm gray

most likely that low side line, i havent seen many issues with the ac on these cars, if the compressor spewed its guts through the system the whole system would take a dump before the expansion valve, but i highly doubt the compressor spewed, you are most likely low on refrigerant and that shop you were using is very slow

as for the other guy with the codes, stop diagnosing stuff yourself if you don't have a cluei know we're here to help, but bring it to us at the shop, then ask, we can hook it up to a consult, etc

pm_page6776
Car: 2009 A/C 2.5S

I agree on both accounts. Most common issue is that low side a/c hose leaking at one or both crimps. If you have a black light you can check for yourself. These systems already come with a/c dye so if there is a leak on the low side line it will be easy to spot. The low side hose runs on the passenger side by the timing chain cover down to the compressor. They tend to leak most at the upper hose crimp so checking it will not even require removing anything.

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”