2004 G35: Changed batteries now probs starting

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
russurquhart1
Car: 2004 G35

Hi,

I'm new here. I have had my 2004 G35 since 2007, and love it!!

With that said, i came back from vacation late thursday. Friday morning i couldn't start my G35 as the battery was low. I got a jump and everything was fine. I got another jump to make it home, but was VERY low on gas, but was able to get to a mechanic to change the battery. At that point, when i started my G35, i had to give it a little gas to get it to stay started, then it was fine. (I thought this might be tied to having such low gas, maybe something got clogged?)

In either case i took it the next day to my regular mechanic, and asked him to check it. He said he couldn't find anything, but that since i had changed batteries, he suspected that it had to have time to "Relearn" it' settings, and to give it a couple of days and drive it a few miles. By the next day or so, in the mornings or after several hours of sitting, i AM able to start it without having to give it any gas. However, if i've driven it, turn it off, then try and turn it on again, it won't turn over. I have to give it a little gas to get started, then its ok.

I've NEVER had a problem with this before. Is this related to having disconnected the battery? I've seen on some of your pages, and elsewhere, that there is an Idle Volume Air learning procedure. Would i need to do this?

I have no qualms taking it to a dealership, but i think they may charge a bunch for stuff i might not need.

Any info/help is greatly appreciated!

thank you!

russurquhart1
Car: 2004 G35

As i suspected, it was a Idle Relearn that did the trick. I didn't try the procedure, but will next time. Was told that for Infiniti's, after changing the battery, this happens about 1 out of 4 times.

fwiw,

Thanks,

Russ

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I've only had issues with the power windows after replacing batteries. Hopefully your problem does not come back.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”