2003 Altima - Won't shift past neutral into reverse or park

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
BluEyedNYLady
Car: 2003 Nissan Altima

My gear won't shift past neutral into reverse or park. I was driving my car, everything seemed fine. I stop the car, try to shift into reverse and it won't go past neutral!! Also my sunroof suddenly won't close, not sure if both problems are related, but both happened at the same time. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?? I hate to deal with a repair shop without having an idea what I'm going to hear from them.

shift_mikey
Car: 2008 Altima 3.5SE Coupe w/CVT

does the release button on the shifter feel like its working correctly? does it feel loose? it sounds like the "lock out" is preventing you from shifting back to park. The car won't let you just "bump" the shifter into reverse while driving. So, it might be a linkage (or electrical, not sure what 03 altima uses) that is loose/disconnected/broken

BluEyedNYLady

There is no release button on the shifter, but I was thinking it's an electrical problem also Do you think it could be something as simple as maybe a fuse burnt out? Could I be that lucky?

shift_mikey

i think a fuse would show other signs, not just shifter problems. I'd assume it could be as simple as a jammed linkage, or as complicated as a transmission problem. I'm not trying to scare you, but i don't want to sugar coat it either. Good luck

shift_mikey

From a quick google, it seems like there is a lock solenoid that is activated by the brake pedal (read: need to step on brake to shift into R or P). Are your brake lights working? If not, i would suspect a switch on the brake pedal or, possibly a fuse

BluEyedNYLady

Today I pried off the 'shift lock' cover and stuck a key in there, pushed on it and whatever that is released the gear. I was able to move the gear up into neutral and park, however, everytime I need to shift from Park, I have to push on that thing and whenever I need to gear back up from Drive, I also have to push on that key. So that tells me it isn't a transmission problem, thank God I'll find out soon enough once I can call my warrenty place THEN take the car in. Thank you for all of your help!!!

Don Miguel
Car: 2002 Nissan Altima

How did this problem finally get fixed?? I am having the same issue now w/ my 02 Altima and really can't afford a mechanic any time real soon.

THANKS!!Mike

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

email the OP!

Return to “Altima General Discussions”