2003 Altima 2.5S stalls when idling

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
DACAMINO
Car: 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5S

I have a 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5S with 61,000 miles. Recently, it quit as the car was idling in a parking lot. It would not start immediately--it would only crank over. Finally, it started after multiple attempts. But when I accelerated it cut out. This problem has become a daily nuisance for me. I took it to a Nissan dealership, and there were no diagnostic results. The car is also cutting out at accelerating RPM's. We would appreciate ANY input on this. Thank you.

rogoman
Car: 1991 240SX FB
2012 Altima 2.5 S

Replace the fuel filter; it might be dirty.

NISTECH

Note the fuel filter on this car is internal to the fuel pump assembly inside the fuel tank.

There are a couple TSB's on no starts of this car. providing its not an SULEV emissions vehicle it could very well be a fuel pump. this particular TSB reffers to a no start incident and not a stall condition. Has the dealer been able to actually verify a no start? or does the car not act up for them?

DACAMINO

I took her to the dealership, but they had no diagnostic results and couldn't get the problem to reoccur. The fuel filter and pump had crossed my mind, but since the problem is sporadic I also wondered about electrical problems. I bet these fuel pumps are expensive since I'm used to wrenching on old chevy trucks. I had an earlier instance with my Altima when it wouldn't start. I left the garage door open during a very damp night and water condensated on the floor. I tried to start the car and it took forever before it would finally fire. I had to give it excessive gas to keep it running. Could this be related? I'm almost sure that's something electrical?

-Thanks-

NISTECH

unplug your cam sensor and see if you have oil in it. You may also want to check your crank sensor for the same thing.

DACAMINO

Thanks all,

You've given me some great starting places!

cblazer
Car: 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5

NISTECH wrote:unplug your cam sensor and see if you have oil in it. You may also want to check your crank sensor for the same thing.
Hi, I have a 03 altima and recently changed my crank position sensor. I noticed when I changed it that the old sensor had oil on it. I am curious as to why you say to check to see if the sensor has oil on it since the sensor enters the internal engine area that has oil circulating freely.

The whole reason for me to ask is because my wife and I have an 03 altima 2.5 that had crank sensor trouble code 2 months ago. Replaced the sensor and all is fine until recently...with episodes of stalling, bogging down during acceleration, cutting off at stop lights...but this time there have been no codes.

Your posts about the oil has me thinking.........

Thanks,

Sam CederasRaleigh, [email protected]

NISTECH

I'm sorry I was reffering to the connector area of the sensor not the external portion of the sensor in the engine. If the connection area has oil in it there is the potential for a short circuit.

On your vehicle I would be suspicious of the fuel pump as well. If you can get a fuel gauge on it and moniter pressure when the incident occurs. Pressure should be a up around 51psi under all conditions. If it drops below 45 you will experiance drivability issues. If that were to check out my next inspection would center around the airflow meter. Less likely but have seen some on the Alti.

cblazer

NISTECH wrote:I'm sorry I was reffering to the connector area of the sensor not the external portion of the sensor in the engine. If the connection area has oil in it there is the potential for a short circuit.

On your vehicle I would be suspicious of the fuel pump as well. If you can get a fuel gauge on it and moniter pressure when the incident occurs. Pressure should be a up around 51psi under all conditions. If it drops below 45 you will experiance drivability issues. If that were to check out my next inspection would center around the airflow meter. Less likely but have seen some on the Alti.
Thanks for replying. I am so suspicious of the Crank Position Sensor again. That is what failed on July 17, 2006 however it displayed an error code when it failed. This time there has been no error code and the problem is exactly as before without a code. Dealer saids they got more in last week as I got the last one last month. I can't help but feel my crank position sensor is defective.

NISTECH

update, there is a new campaign out to reprogrm the ECM. Call your local dealer and give them the vin to run on DCS to see if the campaign applies to your car.This campaign only applies to 2003 vehicles.

RedCurls
Car: nissan 05 altima

05'altima 36.7K miles dealer says need new tranny 4:03 PM 8/21/2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I just posted this on another topic and came across your problem that sounds familiarI bought an '05 altima October '05 with 19k miles. The car is now 36700 miles. while driving on freeway at 60-65K miles for 20 minutes and I exit/slow down, the car will shake and shut off. The car will restart in park, but the minute I put in Drive I need to accelerate immediately before it shuts off again, I then need to let it rest for at least 1 hour before it will run continuosly again. But as soon as I stop accelereating at long highway speeds it will shut down again. Driving local street speeds15-40mph is not a problem. I took it to Nissan Dealer 8/16 with service engine light, they said it was a Speed/Revelation Sensor problem. They replaced it and I had to pay, since my warranty was up. the following day I had the same stalling problem, No lights came on, but it stopped upon exiting a freeway, I took it back and they told me Throttle body was replaced under Nissan Goodwill, I took it back this morning and they now tell me it looks like a bad torc, but they will now replace the Transmission under the Nissan Warranyt!!!Is it possible for such a new car to need a new tranny??? and will that one only last 36k miles also. Anyone know what my rights are as a consumer? what about the $500 i paid last week for the sensor? Dont they owe me a refund? And now I;m without a vehicle until they do the repairs?I'm really dissapointed. I had a Nissan Stanza in 92, I've had a 98 Maxima and they both were great. I finally get a new car and I have this happening? Any advise/info is greatly appreciated!

cblazer

HI, I have been following the thread and wanted to know what if any ended up fixing your problem.Thanks,

Sam in Raleigh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I just posted this on another topic and came across your problem that sounds familiarI bought an '05 altima October '05 with 19k miles. The car is now 36700 miles. while driving on freeway at 60-65K miles for 20 minutes and I exit/slow down, the car will shake and shut off. The car will restart in park, but the minute I put in Drive I need to accelerate immediately before it shuts off again, I then need to let it rest for at least 1 hour before it will run continuosly again. But as soon as I stop accelereating at long highway speeds it will shut down again. Driving local street speeds15-40mph is not a problem. I took it to Nissan Dealer 8/16 with service engine light, they said it was a Speed/Revelation Sensor problem. They replaced it and I had to pay, since my warranty was up. the following day I had the same stalling problem, No lights came on, but it stopped upon exiting a freeway, I took it back and they told me Throttle body was replaced under Nissan Goodwill, I took it back this morning and they now tell me it looks like a bad torc, but they will now replace the Transmission under the Nissan Warranyt!!!Is it possible for such a new car to need a new tranny??? and will that one only last 36k miles also. Anyone know what my rights are as a consumer? what about the $500 i paid last week for the sensor? Dont they owe me a refund? And now I;m without a vehicle until they do the repairs?I'm really dissapointed. I had a Nissan Stanza in 92, I've had a 98 Maxima and they both were great. I finally get a new car and I have this happening? Any advise/info is greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

cblazer

a campaign to reprogram the ECU sounds great. Have you done this yet at work? What have you seen in reference to this.

Thanks!!

Sam in Raleigh.

NISTECH

yes I have done it. Not to resolve a complaint. The customers came in with a recall notice. Found an anomily though. The ones we have done ended up returning a day or two later with a start,stumble and stall issue. but would always restart on multiple attempts. Appearanlty the reprogram effects the learned idle air opening of the throttle motor. To resolve the issue we have been performing the relearn value of the idle. This seems to be resolving the problem. The Campign procedure has no provisions for this so either an engineer over looked something when he wrote the procedure or its not happening on every car. If anyone goes in to have the campaign done be sure to ask the advisor to have the tech perform the relearn AFTER he does the reprogram. This will avoid any inconveinence to you after the fact.

cblazer

I have found out since purchasing a Service Manual for my vehicle that I have been replacing the Cam Position Sensor with a Crank Position Sensor ...all the while wondering how this could be because I only could see one sensor.Admitting that I am and have been wrong on this I now am focusing on the fix.I am purchasing a cam position sensor and a crank position senor. I am going to replace the cam position sensor with the CORRECT cam position sensor.

Now this brings me to the Crank pos sensor that I have not been able to find. Now after having a Service Manual and spending some time looking for the crank position senor I have found it. Now I have another problem.I am unable to get a socket on it. I shined a flash light down on it and used a mirror to get a good look at it and I really do not see any reason why i cannot do so.

I want to pick your mind and ask you if I need to access this from underneath the vehicle after raising it up or is this really something that I need to let Nissan do?

I am really embarassed to admit what I have done wrong. I take responsibility for my actions and now and focussing on the solution.I was all ready to go last weekend and spent an hour trying to figure out how to get a socket on this thing. I can touch it and it is just really ackward getting to it from the top. I am now at the point where I am starting to think I will have to reach this from the bottom and I just wanted to make sure I do not waste my time trying to do so and that is why I am asking for your experience in replacing the crank position sensor.

Thanks for all your help.

Sincerely,

cblazer

not sure if the thread mentions this is for a 2003 Altima 2.5

quipianist
Car: Altima 1993

I had the same problem with a chev... It was fine at highway speeds, but I could be stuck for hours on the freeway at exits, waiting till the car would start. It was caused by dirt in a solenoid switch in the transmission, and the dealer just unplugged it.. perhaps my gas mileage went up a bit, but the car NEVER acted up again.
Modified by quipianist at 5:47 PM 4/6/2007

kishamarie
Car: 2003 Nissan Altima

I have an 03 Altima that has a bad crankshaft position sensor. My husband is trying to replace it but he is having the same problem....he found the camshaft sensor but not the crankshaft sensor location. You said you found it...can you enlighten us as to where? We would appreciate it greatly.

cblazer

The crank position sensor is on the engine block facing the firewall. If you are sitting in the drivers seat and could magically see through to the engine...you would see the crankposition sensor directly facing you on the left side of the block down low. Follow the electrical wires going to that area and you will see it. I had to use a mirror and a flashlight to get a visual on it.

I am planning on replacing it this weekend. I was unable to get a socket on it from the top and have heard from others that it is accessable from the bottom and will do so with the proper equipment this weekend.I hope this helps.If you like...when I am home (at work now) I can copy the Service Manual Page that shows the location. I bought the service manual on CD off of Ebay for under $10.

kishamarie
Car: 2003 Nissan Altima

That is so incredibly helpful! Thank you so much! I think we're going to go on ebay and get our own service manual because I plan on keeping this car for quite awhile ( I love it! ) Thanks again for your help!

Kisha Floren

cblazer

I just got home from a friends garage. I finally was able to replace the crank position sensor. Boy it was somewhat a pain. There was no way to access it from underneath even though someone on this forum told me you could. I was not able to do so.

What turned out to be the biggest problem was the connector securing the wiring harness to the sensor. Unlike the camshaft position sensor connector, the crankposition sensor was secured to the harness via some push button green colored assembly. Once the green button was depressed ALL THE WAY DOWN I was then able to pull the connector off. Then AND ONLY THEN was I able to get a 10mm socket with extension on it thus being able to remove it.

I had to take the air horn and baffle off and then I used a large tie wrap to secure out of the way to heater hoses. Then I was able to get my arm down between the firewall and the block and do what I mentioned in the paragraph above.

Once I got the sensor out I saw why it was sending a trouble code. There was oil all in the area where the electrical pins are on the sensor itself. I am not talking about the oil all over the body of the sensor that it immersed inside the crankcase and should have oil on it...I am talking about the outside housing of the sensor area where the 3 electrical contacts pins are which are surround by a little shroud and if any liquid gets in there it goes no where and just puddles up if you will.

I am so happy to have finally tackled the problem. Time will tell if all is well. I still have to get a new camshaft position sensor because as I mentioned before I replaced the cam position sensor with a new crank position sensor all the while thinking I was working on the crankposition sensor as I only saw one sensor thinking it was the only one. Now that I have FINALLY located and replaced the HARDEST of the 2 sensors...I will now buy a new camshaft position sensor and install it where it is supposed to thus finally finishing.

At least the hard part is over (crank position sensor) because the cam positions sensor is a piece of cake to get to.

Thanks to all who have helped. I hope my post might help someone else and save them from doing what I did wrong.

Sam CederasRaleigh, N.C.2003 Altima 2.560k

Damar
Car: Nissan Altima 2003 2.5 L

Cblazer

Just an FYI,

I just recently started to have the problem where my 2003 Altima was stalling, bogging down during acceleration, cutting off at stop lights and stop signs...

I just recently took it to the dealer and they replaced the Crankshaft position sensor (which they suggest that I do, they ran a diagnostic test) and a few days later it started to do it again..

I took it back to them and they ran other diagnostic test and the Chamshaft position sensor came up.. I was like what???? They wanted to charge me $200 + . My response was like you guys are crazy

I found out the part is like $ 33.00 at the dealer or Petboys.. And I can have my neighbor hood mechanic install it for $ 40.00

I'm having it done today.. Keep you posted with the results

Hope this helps..

Damar
Car: Nissan Altima 2003 2.5 L

Problem Resolved with me having the chamshaft replaced

salvador312
Car: Nissan Altima 2003

I have a Nissan Altima 2003... my car one day just turn off completely on me(it happened around 6 or 9 times after that)... I took it to the mechanic.. they changed the Crank Sensor Position... and the car didn't turn off on me no more..... but now everytime I turn her on it cranks for 3 seconds and then turn on... good thing it always turns on... any suggestions how to get rid of the cranking??? please.. reply

salvador312
Car: Nissan Altima 2003

hey

baalpeteor

RedCurls wrote:05'altima 36.7K miles dealer says need new tranny 4:03 PM 8/21/2006 what about the $500 i paid last week for the sensor? Dont they owe me a refund? And now I;m without a vehicle until they do the repairs?
$500? LOL@@!!! you were gipped son! I can get better than oem for $170 or so. 500? that's ridiculous. If I brought $500 worth of Speed sensors, i'd have enough to last me a lifetime.

and are they just changing that sensor? why is it taking more than a few hours?

phaderus

cblazer.. thanks for your very informative posts. I have a 2003 Altima and I have 116000 miles on it. Today for the first time it started giving me the problem that has been discussed on this board. I am curious to know if you ever replaced the Camshaft sensor AND if you have had this problem re-occur.Appreciate your reply. Thanks.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”