2002 Q45 with Dead AV Control Unit (Central Display)

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
dsbrooks
Car: 2002 Infiniti Q45

Today my beloved Q45's central "computer" stopped working. Climate, Nav, Audio and Info all gone. The screen is black (with some very faint flicker).

I'm hoping someone on the forum has some ideas about diagnosing the problem so I can avoid an outrageous estimate from the dealer.

Here are the symptoms:

* Display is dark...with a faint flicker. Seems to be getting power but no picture.
* No climate control
* No radio
* No rear-view camera
* No vehicle information functions
* While MOST push button controls on the panel are dark, the rear defroster lights up. Front window defroster light does not.
* Climate control seems stuck on (heater) based on last setting before failure. No way to turn off fan or adjust temperature.
* Tire pressure monitoring system: tires were not flat yet the TPMS system has been sounding an alarm about 60 seconds after each start up. Alert used to show up on the display. Now it just sounds the alarm. I've been meaning to take it in to the dealer for a reset...now I have to. I assumed it was simply a bad tire pressure valve, NOT the TPMS system.

* Tried resetting fuse 52...no effect.
* Tried the on-board self diagnostic system (as described in the technical service manual DI-107), but it would not show anything on the display.

My guess is this could be the AV Control Unit or "AV and NAVI control unit". I spoke with a parts dealer who quoted me $800.08 for that part (assuming that's what it is wrong). He mentioned a dealer *should* install my part for labor only, but somehow I doubt any dealer will go for that.

Some questions:

1) Is it possible to get a non-dealer diagnostic code (CONSULT II)? Nissan?
2) From what I described, could this be a fuse-related issue? I visually inspected fuses in the driver-side compartment and under the hood. No visible signs of a blown fuse although I did not pull each one. Worth the trouble (would a blown 10A fuse show any damage on the top without pulling it to inspect the wire)?
Last edited by dsbrooks on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I don't think it's fuse related. If you're getting a flicker, it's getting voltage.

You could always try your luck at a used part, but it's a crapshoot. http://www.car-part.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Info-Scr ... ccessories

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=q45+sc ... m270.l1313

We really don't have much information on that series of Q in terms of what fails frequently due to the low production numbers and the fact that they're still relatively new.

Heath

dsbrooks

Thanks, Heath. I'll definitely keep these links if I have to go to the carpet with the dealer over costs.

After last night (resting 6~8 hours), the screen worked - albeit temporarily - for about 20 minutes. Then nothing!

mcrews
Car: 2002 Q45 Sport

you have the larger screen because of the nav.
I have an extra smaller screen.....
I would be glad to send it to you for freight cost if it would plug in and you could 'test'.

dsbrooks

Thanks, but I don't think it's the screen per se (since it springs back to life after resting for 6~8 hours). I believe the AV control unit (that drives the radio, NAV and climate control) is failing. No way to know.

I'm going to tray and catch the screen when it is waking up and run the self diagnoisis.

I'll post results.

mcrews
Car: 2002 Q45 Sport

I had a problem with the A/c nob. It wouldn't adjust a degree at a time then it just died. I had to buy the entire center panel. I bought a used tan one and then swapped out onto my black one. THey end up sending me the screen also. zSo I ended up with the extra screen

dsbrooks

OK, the verdict: dead (dying battery) + dead tire pressure transducer on the valve stem. Cost $400.

The central control unit was working when I brought it to the dealer, but failed as the dealer was working on it (yeah...no phantom!). However, the dealer wants $1250 + tax to start chasing after the gremlin (replacing a circuit board). I said no.

Central control remains dead.

I found one tantalizing clue: a voluntary recall on G35's manufactured until 2002. While the Q45 doesn't have a recall, I am hoping (suspect) that the central control unit is the same.

Here's the TSB: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/badda ... 3-007b.pdf

Here's the part number: Audio Circuit Board (Bose Audio System) 28041-AM813

Any experts out there know if perhaps this was a silent recall on Q45's? Do they share the same central control unit or nav system?

Finally, is this an opportunity to add in a 3rd party nav/display instead? Cost might be equvalent yet I'd get better performance (touchscreen GPS, Bluetooth)?

Tony Integra
Car: 2002 Infinti Q45

I replaced had my battery replaced yesterday at Pep Boys. Once they were finished my lcd screen stopped working. I cannot control the ac/heat or radio. There is a bit of cool air coming out the vents but i cant control temp or turn off. pep boys also replaced a terminal.
Could this be a fuse issue?

mloliver4

I am curious if you were able to find a fix for this. My infiniti is acting simliarly..... driving me nuts. no screen display,

JRandal
Car: 2003 Infiniti Q45

I have had the exact same problem with my 2003 Q45. The dealer suggested removing the A/V Nav control unit, and sending it away for 2-3 weeks for repair at a cost of $1000+. A local former Nissan mechanic recommend a place that specialized in electronics repair instead of a mechanic or the dealership. The issue on my end was not the circuit board, but instead a voltage control issue in the A/V Nav control unit, which on my model is located in the top left of the trunk. This unit can actually be very easily removed for service (a few wiring harnesses and bolts), and your car will be drivable if you have to leave the unit. I was able to have the repairs done for $450.00. The place I took it to was:

Electronic Masters Repair
Duluth, GA
(678) 957-0686

I actually read on another BB that someone with a similar issue had disconnected their unit and mailed it in for repair, which might be an option if you can't find someone locally or repair it yourself.

Good luck.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Failure of electronic parts on a luxury car out of warranty is a costly nightmare! It's good to hear you were able to have the part repaired unless of replaced and saved a good amount of money. :bigthumb:

dsbrooks

For anyone else who had this issue, I solved the problem. You need to contact:

John Huang
XW Electronic Co.
3608 Arden Dr. Ste J
El Monte, CA 91731

oemradio {at} yahoo {dot} com

He was able to fix the system for around $250. It has been trouble-free for more than a year...I think it worked! Saved me $1,000!

N2MuchGolf
Car: 03 Q45

dsbrooks wrote:For anyone else who had this issue, I solved the problem. You need to contact:

John Huang
XW Electronic Co.
3608 Arden Dr. Ste J
El Monte, CA 91731

oemradio {at} yahoo {dot} com

He was able to fix the system for around $250. It has been trouble-free for more than a year...I think it worked! Saved me $1,000!
Do you have a phone number for this guy? I'm having the same issue and it seems like the screen isn't the direct issue because it was working flawlessly and all of a sudden this past weekend.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

From another forum:

XW Electronic Company:
office: 626-454-1645
John Huang

Eckokid72
Car: 2002 Q45

I know the fix please email and I'll send it.

Eckokid72
Car: 2002 Q45

Moderator Edit: email address removed

Please use our private message function, or better yet just post the fix here! This is an ongoing problem on the F50, so we'd be very interested to hear it.

:welcome: to NICO!

O5Q45
Car: 2005 Q45 Base sedan

I've noticed mine will blink off for a second out of the corner of my eye, but by the time I look over it's back and normal.. have been able to catch it flicker.. I went into info or settings and selected screen off. I'm hoping this will buy me some time... There's plenty of these on the aforementioned part website for $150-$250. So, am I to understand by what I've read, that this system is spread from the actual unit all the way back to the trunk? It's not all inclusive right behind the screen? I wish I could get the Japanese version for the Cima, the screen actually rises up and out for TV as well. But anyhow,

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”