2002 Q45 Evap canister flooding with gasoline

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
niconube
Car: 2002 Q45 4.5 L

Car belongs to a close friend. They said they had burning smells coming from under the car when parked and shut off.

Valve covers gaskets were leaking on bottom side. Replaced the first time I laid eyes on the car. Serpentine belt was completely deteriorated. Replaced main serpentine. Those two could have definitely caused a burning smell.

Rack&Pinion, was leaking from top seal. Removed plastic covers to let it drop instead of puddling in cover causing a huge spread under the car. Battery post clamps were severely corroded. Replaced + & -.

After replacing valve cover gaskets, and battery terminal clamps, It appeared the car came alive, as if it just was not getting enough power to run all systems. Also immediately after these repairs, I discovered gasoline pouring out the evap canister purge valve. Inspected purge valve, it was stuck open. Evap canister was flooding with gasoline and running out on the ground?

This was the first time, the first day I had ever seen or worked on this car.

Looking for answers to why gasoline is pumping into the evap canister through the gas tank vent hose, going to the evap canister in the first place?
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome to NICO! I've taken the liberty of modifying your thread title to attract more attention to your problem. Sorry to hear that your car is having trouble. I'm not all too well versed in your vehicle, but can offer an option for you.

Here at NICO, we have Factory Service Manuals available free to members. Take a peek at the link in my signature and find the FSM for your car and you'll have all the info you'll ever need to make the repair and try to diagnose it for yourself while help is on the way.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”