2002 Maxima shift points

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
downforceus
Car: 1997 Maxima SE 2002 Maxima SE

I have a 2002 Maxima with an automatic transmission. When I really get on it from a dead start, I feel like the engine revs too long and high before it goes into second gear. Under normal and moderate driving conditions it works fine. When I bought the car a few months ago, I took it to the Nissan dealer so their "transmission guy" could try it out. He said the tranny worked perfectly and what I might be experiencing is the computer trying to work faster than it is able to. Is there anyway to program the tranny to shift a little earlier from first to second? I would rather not go the valve body mod route. Thanks, Jeremy

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

I'm not aware of any AT module upgrades/flashes.

ZGadson

Sounds similar to my problem (zerothread/289308). Is it a jerky shift when it changes from 1st to 2nd gear or just a delayed shift?

downforceus

It is not a jerky shift. It just doesn't want to shift into second gear until I ease up on the throttle.

MattB
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30A

This strikes me as normal....if I hit the gas hard from a standstill in my I30 it won't shift until it approaches redline. If I don't hit the gas as hard it shifts sooner. The computer assumes that you hitting the gas hard means you want to hold the gear longer. Why would you want it to shift earlier when you hit the gas hard anyway?

downforceus

I have a 97 with the 3.0, I'm not sure how similiar the tranny is to your infiniti but, my 2002 will bring it right into the redline without shifting unless I let off the gas.(only under hard acceleration) It's annoying....I needed to get into a right hand lane that was occupied by a 2002 Cavalier. When the light turned green, I blew past him and then in front of him. That first part went great. When I pulled in front of him my car just wound out to the top of first gear (25 mph?) I had to let off the gas to let the car shift. If this guy was trying to race me he would of ran right into the back of my bumper. I wish I would have patient for the six-speed.

downforceus

Does anybody know the cost of installing one of these kits (approx.)? I believe the main component is a valve body. http://www.transmissionpartsus...g.htm

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”