2002 I35 Left Turn Noise, Slip, Grind

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
kwlowe62
Car: 2002 I35

I have a 2002 I35 with 150K miles on it. The symptoms that I am going to describe do NOT happen all the time, only under certain conditions which I have found hard to recreate consistenly. When taking a left turn under mild to hard acceleration, the entire front end seems to grab/grind. There is noise which seems to come from the outside front wheel (passenger side). With my foot on the gas while in the turn, the car jerks as if the brakes have been applied and the ABS has kicked in. It feels as if the front axle or wheel is stopping or slipping, and then when I take my foot off of the gas, it returns to normal and I can continue through the turn. This has happened several times over the last years. Depending on my driving style, it may happen once every 3 months, but lately it seems to be occuring more often. I'm concerned because seems as if it is happening more often, and it doesn't feel like it is benefitting the transmission in any way.

I don't believe that it is the wheel bearing, but I understand that this car has sealed bearing and I don't know if they behave differently than standard grease packed bearings when they go bad.

I did see a post that mentioned that this type of thing may happen if the car has the wrong size tires..... 205's vs 225's, and I noticed that my car has 205's on it. Could this be causing the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

Sound like CV axle problems at first guess
Look underneath the car for an axle that ties into the front wheels and see if
you see torn rubber and grease (probably spattered all over underneath)

kwlowe62

I don't believe it is the CV joints. Typically you would hear them clicking on a tight turn?? This doesn't happen. Also, I had the front tire off the other day to replace the high pressure steering hose. Didn't specifically inspect the CV boots, but did notice that they still seemed to be in good shape.

NutriaforBreakfast

NutriaforBreakfast

This is what my 1995 experienced as well (same as yours) when my CV axle was bad.

"With my foot on the gas while in the turn, the car jerks as if the brakes have been applied and the ABS has kicked in. It feels as if the front axle or wheel is stopping or slipping, and then when I take my foot off of the gas, it returns to normal and I can continue through the turn."

kwlowe62

Is that specifically the axle... not the CV joint itself?

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”