2001 QX4 Intake Valve Timing Control Position Sensor

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
qx4_mannn

Went to a local Autozone to borrow a ODB II code reader to see what was causing my MIL to illuminate. Code P1145 came up. I cleared the code, but upon restarting the engine, the light came back on.

I think the light first appeared after I changed my fuel filter. I double checked everything, and the fill cap is also on tight.

From the web, it appears code P1145 means:

"Intake Valve Timing Control Position Sensor, RH Bank 2"

Is this something I can fix myself? I had been running non-premium fuel in it for a while with no noticeable problems... but I am back on Premium fuel now.

Thanks.

usc45
Car: 2001 Mercedes W210 E55 AMG

wow. i had almost the exact same code(just the other side) come up about a month ago. here's the thread...

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....69112

i brought it into the dealer and they changed a timing sensor. still under warranty, so it didn't cost me a dime. but i initially wanted to fix it myself, but i couldn't find that part ANYWHERE besides going to the dealer. hopefully they changed the right part as nistech thinks they might have changed the wrong thing. so far, the light hasn't come back on yet, but we'll see. my gut feeling is that nistech is right that they didn't change the right part-going from his description of where the solenoid was, i knew exactly what it looked like when i brought it into the dealer. when i got it back to my house, the solenoid was not changed,instead a sensor. hopefully all is good. if you bring it into the dealer, make sure they do that test nistech stated in the other thread. i had run about 2 tankfulls of regular, then switched to premuim. on my second tankfull of premium, the "check engine" light came on.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Good post USC.QX4 Mann: Welcome to NICO:jazz:

Fred..

qx4_mannn

So, does error code P1145 mean right or left hand side?

The code references on the web indicate right hand side, but the other thread here in the forums says Bank 2 is the LH side.

I've really enjoyed my QX4 for the past 4 years... got it in June 2000. Been hanging out on the Yahoo forums, until I found this one! This site is great and I really appreciate the quick responses!

Thanks again!

PS - I plan to call my local parts desk to see how much a solonoid is ... hoping once I see the part, I can recognize where it is on my engine. The other thread gave a general location, but I'm still not sure what it looks like. ;) :confused:

usc45
Car: 2001 Mercedes W210 E55 AMG

your code is the right hand (driver's side).mine was the pass side. the solenoid is about an inch and a half tall and about an inch in diameter.

qx4_mannn

Thanks usc45...

I'll take a look under the hood when I get home...

qx4_mannn

Well, I should have listened to NisTECH's advice...

I called my dealer and inquired about the VTC sensor and solonoid. He didn't have any solonoids in stock, but had plenty of sensors and said that it was a common part that went bad.

The sensor was $78, and the solonoid was about $150. So, I decided to go ahead and buy the sensor.

Just finished installing and reset the coputer code using my obd-ii reader. The error appears to still be there.... shucks.

I'm going to order the solonoid tomorrow... I hope that is indeed the culprit.

NISTECH

We 2 have several of the sensors in stock as initially we had determined it was the problem but a couple of customers returned 2 or 3 months later with the same code. We at that point decided to take our diagnostics into a little R&D,basically come up with different senarios to make the system operate under various different conditions. We found that if you sustain a load for a min or 2 it will trigger the code. but If you only sustained the 25% load for under a min it was not enough to trigger the code. we then started pulling different sensors and actuators up on the ConsultII and watched them under different conditions and found the CA degree on the effected bank would begin to lag under sustained 25%[approx] load untill it was almost 10 degrees behind the other bank but the VTC solonoids duty cycle percentage was climbing trying to compensate and bring it back to where it needed to be. at that point we had realized the solonoid was not allowing the pressure to change to the VTC. We replaced the solonoid and retested and found that under the same conditions it started functioning properly.

Note though if this code is poping up upon stating the car you may have an electrical problem in the wiring.

And also note the only solonoids we have had to replace were the left hand ones. we have yet to do a right one. So USC if yours was the right bank you may not see it reoccur.

qx4_mannn

Well, just finished replacing the RH VTC solonoid and I still have the same problem. Error code P1145. Upon starting the engine, it takes about 5 seconds until the MIL illuminates.

It must be with the wiring or something else as NisTECH suggested in the previous post. I was hoping to fix this myself, but it looks like I'll have to take it into the dealer.

At least I can tell them what it isn't. :)

I did a visual inspection of the wiring and all looks fine... truck only has 45K on it, 4 yrs old, garage kept, mild climate... Tough to imagine it being wiring related, unless a connector somehow got corroded or something.

:(

qx4_mannn

Sorry to belabor the point, but RH refers to the passenger side, correct???

LH is driver side, RH is passenger side.

Just wanted to be absolutely positive.... :)

Thx.

NISTECH

I miss spoke earlier qx4-mann yours would be the one in which we have not done the solonoid on yet, usc yours is the one we have done the solonoid on.

Yes you are correct that RH bank reffers to passenger side bank and LH reffers to drivers side. But here is what I caught when you asked this question You said "RH bank 2" that is an incorrect statement. RH is bank 1 and LH is bank 2.

#1 cyl is always bank 1. Your #1 cyl is on the RH bank. Although I dont have a service manual handy at the moment or I would look that code up and make sure its the RH side bank 1.

Gene01Path

1145 is the driver's side. The left and right sensors are both the same, so just take your old (good) one you took out and replace the bad one with it. On a 2001 Pathfinder, you have to remove the grey plastic engine cover to get access to it, not sure about the QX-4. It is not the sensor that is on front of the head; it's on top.

qx4_mannn

:ylsuper

Ah, yes! I didn't realize they were the same part and just replaced the LH side (Driver's side) and all is now well! Perfect!

Thanks!

Is there any way we can edit and correct the thread here:

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....P1145

I'd hate for someone else to go through the same thing (hopefully... they will see this thread too).

Thanks again to all who helped. I only wish I had tried replacing the LH sensor before buying a $150 RH solonoid.

NISTECH

Ok edited what didnt look right with the timing sensors. I will have to confirm my changes though by taking a peek at the service manual. I didn't even know we had that article..lol

cooey
Car: 2001 QX4

Have had intake timing sensor replaced at dealer part #23731-2y524 and my engine light came back on the next day. They now think the solenoid needs replacing. Is this the same situation you have previous referred to and is this the right thing to do.

Chedman13
Car: 2003 Infiniti FX45 AWD VK45DE

I have no idea if I'm right, but I always thought that this was the Driver's Side solonoid.

miked
Car: 2001 QX4

Same problem wiith my QX4... code p1145 Lite comes on as soon as I start the car. The car doesn't seem to run poorly. After reading all the information written is it better to get it fixed at the dealer? Nistech said it might be electrical. How much did will it cost if not under warranty?

Ridge Racer
Car: 2001 Pathfinder 1992 240sx 1967 Camaro RS/SS

I have a 2001 Pathfinder. I had it scanned at Autozone when the SES light came on - came up with P1145. After reading my Chilton Manual and various forums, I replaced the solenoid on the driver's side (about $150). I tested the old one after I got it out and it seemed to be fine. The SES light went out on its own - stayed off for about 3 days, then back on again. Autozone again, P1145 again. I then replaced the sensor (about $75) (tested the original sensor that I took out and it read exactly the same as the new one). Light is still on. I have read that once the 'problem' that is making the light come on is taken care of, the light will eventually go off on its own. It's been about 5 days since I replaced the sensor and the light is still on. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Well, it's been a few days now and the light has gone back off. I'm going to go ahead and jinx myself by assuming that the problem is fixed...
Modified by Ridge Racer at 6:15 PM 1/23/2005

NISTECH

let me just start by saying WOW! lol this problem seems to have died off for us at the dealer but it is evedent its still out there, here is the deal. if you clear the code(turn off the light) and upon restarting it ,before driving it, the light comes back on. you have a sensor problem, if the light doesnt come on till after you have driven it , it could be either part but is likely the solonoid. this code has 2 logics, one if it doesent see a signal while the car is running, or if it doesnt see a logical signal while under part thorttle acceleration. Meaning the ecm is watching degrees of cam advance as compared to solonoid duty cycle, if the ecm is increasing duty cycle by say 50 to 60% and the cam degree does not advance and is typically 7 degrees behind its opposing bank for a constant 20 seconds it thinks there is a problem, the computer does not have the ability to distiguish which part is failing so it throws the one code, this is where consultII comes in handy, I am able to watch both sensors in degrees and watch both solonoids in % of duty cycle, If my degrees are registering very low but registering non the less and the duty cycle on the affected bank is substantially higher then the opposing bank the sensor is functioning but the solonoid is not allowing enough oil through to opperate the VTC. therefore the solonoid either has a restricted port or a week electromagnetic field causeing it not to open fully. Now in the other case if the degrees on the cam lock at 0 or 120 degrees it is the sensor, the typical range for the degrees under normal driving conditions is between 7 and 16 degrees.

There you go guys, hope this sheds some light on what your dealing with.

Scott

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Scott:Awesome to see your back!!!

Chris has been holding the fort in NOM for you.

Fred..

dustinr
Car: 2005 Evo VIII MR, 2005 Subaru STi, 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1994 300ZX, 2002 Ducati 998

Need help: 2001 Infiniti QX4Throwing Code: P1140 LH Bank 1

Now after reading this post and 1 other regarding the same subject it appears that there's some debate as to which is the correct side for this code ie: LH Bank normally being the driver side and Bank1 normally being the passenger side. Between the two threads I've read both; some say P1140 is the passenger side and some say it's driver side. Which is correct?

NISTECH

LH bank is bank 2 Drivers sideRH bank is bank 1 Passenger side

dustinr
Car: 2005 Evo VIII MR, 2005 Subaru STi, 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1994 300ZX, 2002 Ducati 998

where exactly is the LH solenoid located on the QX4?

NISTECH

It is at the front of the valve cover on the drivers side. Just behind the engine front cover.

ioncc

Hi,

This is my frst time on a Nissan forum and my first Nissan I own ( Got it for about two months). I see you are very knowledgeable and maybe you can help me out. I have an OBD II reader and I got the MIL on couple of times. The light comes on while driving and it use to go off automatically (now I have the OBD reader and I cleare it myself).

I would like to know if any of this codes can cause engine damage (the car drives great so far)

But here are the first and second readings (codes) I got with the reader:

Stored: P0455 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (gross leak/no flow)P1448 Vacuum Cut Valve Pending: P1615 P0455 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (gross leak/no flow)P1448 Vacuum Cut Valve

DTC For Which Freeze Frame Was Stored P0455Fuel System 1 Status Closed LoopFuel System 2 Status Closed LoopCalculated LOAD Value 35.69 %Engine Coolant Temperature 176.0 °FShort Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 -3.13 %Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 22.66 %Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2 -3.13 %Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2 27.34 %Engine RPM 2600.00 rpmVehicle Speed Sensor 62.5 mph

Now here is the second time the light came on:

Stored: P1145 Intake Valve Timing Control Position Sensor (Bank 2) Pending: P1145 Intake Valve Timing Control Position Sensor (Bank 2)P0455 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (gross leak/no flow)P1448 Vacuum Cut Valve

DTC For Which Freeze Frame Was Stored P1145Fuel System 1 Status Open Loop - due to driving conditionsFuel System 2 Status Open Loop - due to driving conditionsCalculated LOAD Value 9.80 %Engine Coolant Temperature 177.8 °FShort Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 0.00 %Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 17.97 %Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2 0.00 %Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2 21.09 %Engine RPM 2300.00 rpmVehicle Speed Sensor 21.3 mph

Please let me know if you can help.

P.S. Why is the percentage of "fuel trim" differnt in the two banks?

lookinglucky
Car: 2001 pathfinder le

interesting reading ...my ses light came on as well ...bought a obd code reader list code as p1140 variable valve control sensor,,right side (passengers side) my question is, is it difficult to change sensor..it does not look to difficult ,but i did read one post on the net ,saying better to take it to a dealer ..i would like to avoide the dealership,as well i do enjoy fixing some things my self ...so can anyone reply as to the difficulty of the job changing the right side sensor

thanks a bunch

today i pulled the sensor off ...checked it with an ohms meter got resistance on the terminals ,but each a different reading ??? checked the voltage at the plug had battery voltage put the part back in ,everything looked fine ....put light out with decorder and drove ,then pulled over shut truck off ,turned back on and light is back on ...so i ordered the sensor vvt sensor $132.00 with tax ....after taking the the sensor off once i can do it again in about 1/2 hour or little more ....if that doesnot fix the problem..it maybe the selinode thats about $280.00 around there ...but my coder said it was the sensor ...will be interesting to see if the new sensor fixes the light problem.... i hate these kinds of problems ...but will feel good if the sensor fixes the light problem

code for sensor p1140code for right side control solenoid p1111 ..this code never showed up will see if these decorders are worth there salt ??? installed sensor ,cleared codes, drove truck .shut off ,started up ...no ses light on ....drove back checked codes ,no codes ...problem fixed ....

time ...with experience 15 seconds to read code ..15 minutes to install sensor advice ..buy a OBD decorder ..worth the money

happy mortoring

Modified by lookinglucky at 2:19 PM 5/10/2007

Modified by lookinglucky at 2:31 PM 5/10/2007

Modified by lookinglucky at 5:14 PM 5/10/2007

Modified by lookinglucky at 5:16 PM 5/10/2007
Modified by lookinglucky at 3:29 PM 5/16/2007

Jylly
Car: Infinity QX4

I have the same code P1145 for the Bank 2 (driver side intake timing circuit sensor). What part number did you use, and was it difficult to change it? Is the Chilton manual necessary? I would prefer to do this myself, but I am not a mechanic and don't want to throw 600 bucks into something I can order myself and install. Thanks.

mpeatc5
Car: 2001 nissan pathfinder LE

hey all, new guy here. great site for research for my pathfinder. seems that i have the same problem P1145 code that you have all had. NISTECH thanks for all the information, very valuable.

taking your troubleshooting advice NISTECH, i have the solenoid problem. the question i have is where do you guys recommend i buy this part from ?

kkamakasi
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 2WD
2002 BMW M3 Coupe
2003 Chevy Astro Cargo

NISTECH wrote:let me just start by saying WOW! lol this problem seems to have died off for us at the dealer but it is evedent its still out there, here is the deal. if you clear the code(turn off the light) and upon restarting it ,before driving it, the light comes back on. you have a sensor problem, if the light doesnt come on till after you have driven it , it could be either part but is likely the solonoid. this code has 2 logics, one if it doesent see a signal while the car is running, or if it doesnt see a logical signal while under part thorttle acceleration. Meaning the ecm is watching degrees of cam advance as compared to solonoid duty cycle, if the ecm is increasing duty cycle by say 50 to 60% and the cam degree does not advance and is typically 7 degrees behind its opposing bank for a constant 20 seconds it thinks there is a problem, the computer does not have the ability to distiguish which part is failing so it throws the one code, this is where consultII comes in handy, I am able to watch both sensors in degrees and watch both solonoids in % of duty cycle, If my degrees are registering very low but registering non the less and the duty cycle on the affected bank is substantially higher then the opposing bank the sensor is functioning but the solonoid is not allowing enough oil through to opperate the VTC. therefore the solonoid either has a restricted port or a week electromagnetic field causeing it not to open fully. Now in the other case if the degrees on the cam lock at 0 or 120 degrees it is the sensor, the typical range for the degrees under normal driving conditions is between 7 and 16 degrees.

There you go guys, hope this sheds some light on what your dealing with.

Scott
Okay. I understand your diagnostic procedure but what about option 3? What if I clear the code and the code never comes back on? I got my "P1110" cleared and after driving it for two days now, it hasn't come back on. Now if it does come back in the future can I assume that it's the solenoid?

tommy_lee214

Hey everyone,

Thought this might help those clear some of the confusion up ( from left to right to which code means what). I have attached a link that i stubbled accross and you will find it useful. Very informative with pictures.Just copy the link below to your address bar . GOOD LUCK

http://www.pathyoffroad.com/re...codes

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”