2001 Q45 headlight problems

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
twinfiniti
Car: 1998 Q45 and 2001 Q45

My 2001 Q has about 70k on it. For about a month now the passenger side xenon headlamp will cut out while I'm driving or else never comes on when I switch the headlights on. Usually cycling the lights off and on makes it come on. The dealer has replaced a ballast and a relay. Still the light goes out, unpredictably. Today with a new twist -- I shut off the headlights but the driving lights (at the bottom of the bumper) stayed on. I cycled the lights and they went out. Then I came back half an hour later and they were on again! Later in the day I looked out the window and saw the driving lamps light up for about a second and then go out. Which is weird, since normally it is impossible for the driving lights to be on unless the headlights are also on. So I switched the driving lights off at the turn signal stalk.

When I turn on the headlights, is the juice for them going through the switch in the signal stalk? Or does the switch signal a relay somewhere else? Is there a circuit board or chip that acts as a brain for all the lights? Maybe something to do with the security system or remote, I am thinking.

paranoidjack
Car: 2012 M56s
2003 M45
2001 QX4
2000 Q45
1998 Pathy
1996 J30

I'm no lighting expert but sounds like a loose connection, or solder disintegration to me.

First thing I'd do is get a meter on those lines when it's off, and on, and trace the cause of it.

I have 180k on mine, and have never had that issue, and rarely (if ever) hear about another FGY33 owner complaining about it, so I'm inclined to think it was worked on and carelessley reassembled.

Anyway, start with a multimeter and try to identify signal loss. Work your way backwards from the light. You should download the FSM also, and consult pages 78-110 in the EL (electrical) section. Most of it's Greek to me, but maybe you're Greek!

If not, someone that speaks Greek I'm sure will chime in soon.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Since the lights on either side of the lower intake have a widely distributed beam pattern, they are fog lights and not driving lights.

Switching your D2R bulbs from side to side should confirm if it is the lamp and its circuitry or the bulb.

cuadradodavid
Car: 01 Infinity Q45t

i am having the same problem. did you figure it out? cuz i'm stumped please help. email me please.... [email protected]

dferrero
Car: Infiniti 2002 Q45

> Switching your D2R bulbs from side to side should confirm if it is the lamp and its circuitry or the bulb.

what is the "D2R bulbs" and how does one switch D2R bulbs from side to side?

I found this describing D2R: http://www.hidautovision.com/d2r-d2s-d2 ... st-canbus/
Has anyone tried something like this to save $$$ vs OEM ballast?

I am trying to determine if I have a ballast problem or a wiring issue. My driver side low beam would work 90% of the time and if I found it off, could switch it be switching the Light switch from auto to on/off once or twice and it would turn on. Now it remains dead and a $150 bulb replacement didn't cure the problem. Lastly, where can I download the FSM?

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

When I turn on the headlights, is the juice for them going through the switch in the signal stalk? Or does the switch signal a relay somewhere else?
Here's the wiring diagram for the headlamps on 2000 models - I assume it's pretty much the same as for 2001 models:

The power path for the low beams is highlighted in red.

Note that the HID Relay only controls the low beams (which are HID), and doesn't go through the switch in the signal stalk.

The Headlamp Relay controls the high beams (which are conventional incandescent), and only goes through the switch in the signal stalk to control the fog lights.

Also note that the left and right HID bulbs each have their own set of contacts inside the HID Relay, and ditto for the high beam bulbs inside the Headlamp Relay.

So, if one set of relay contacts inside the HID Relay are sticking, it might cause one of your HID bulbs to turn on randomly. Similarly, if the contacts are dirty, it might cause one of your HID bulbs to not turn on when it should.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”