2001 power seat stopped moving forward/backward

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
nheitz
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE AWD

The power driver's seat on my 2001 Pathfinder stopped moving forward & backward. When I hit the switch I can hear a relay clicking but the seat doesn't move. Anyone else seen this? Easy fix? Maybe? Please?

nheitz

Not sure why I'm replying to my own post but I found this zerothread/313924 . Looks like some things to try are banging on the motor & unplugging the connectors & plugging them back in. From what I remember I would have to remove the seat to access these though. I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Finny
Car: 2001 QX4

Like to know how this works out for you. Mine just stopped working also.

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

nheitz wrote:Not sure why I'm replying to my own post but I found this zerothread/313924 . Looks like some things to try are banging on the motor & unplugging the connectors & plugging them back in. From what I remember I would have to remove the seat to access these though. I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.
The connector is in the front of the seat, I used a hammer and screwdriver and it helped temporarily.

Billy

Gurthy
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 3.5L 4wd

yeah.. same problem here. Just randomly stopped. Post if anyone fixes it

Fafdawg
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 4x4 (Silver) & 2006 M35X AWD With Tech package. (Blk on Blk)

1st I like to say, Thanks for every information that was posted. Very helpful info.I had a similar problem in my QX4 2001. The up and down action works and so does the recline but no front back motion, and it makes a relay clicking noise from the switch when you move it though. I tapped the motor a few times with a long metal object with a hammer and it started working again. No problems since. It's has been about 7 days. I hope it will continued to work.

zerothread?id=313924

slickroger
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 2001

i had the same problem a couple of times. the small bic lighters fit real snug in the rail that allows the seat to move back and forward, i had a lighter jam it and i think a quarter or a loonie not sure. in my old pathfinder disconnecting and reconnecting the connectors worked. never hit the motor before.

nheitz

Well I got the motor working again by tapping on it... but now only the right side of the seat moves forward & back. The left doesn't move. The right only moves until it gets in a bind from the left not moving. From what I can tell looking under the seat, don't both sides operate from the one motor in the middle front of the seat?

02QX4ME
Car: 2002 QX4 4WD

I don't have problem with my seats, but this topic interests me so I took a look just now.

It looks like the driver seat has three motors, one for back-and-forth, one for front height and one for back height. I am not sure where the 3rd motor is but when I played with the back height adjustment, the front height motor does not run.

Ubel Feuer
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder

There was actually a notice sent out about the QX4 on this. The majority of the time it wasn't even broken. If you run the seat all the way back it can get stuck and will not move again. If you pull forward on the seat while moving it forward it should fix it.

It worked fine on my brothers QX4.

zrender
Car: 1998 maxima, 2001 Qx4

Hey guys,

I can see this is a nissan problem with the power seats. At first I thought it was me.

Funny, I was really searching on google to see if there are parts available for the power seats and I saw this thread.

I have a 2001 Qx4 with the same problem. I notice a few times if I pull forward while sitting down it will move back and forth. But then after a while it would stop. I could hear the relay clicking but nothing.

After reading the situation here I tap the motor a few times and it works!!!Hopefully this will hold until I sell the truck soon.

Thanks.

That one problem eliminated. LOL

swiftjustice
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I just bought a 2003 Pathfinder LE and the seat has the same problem. the dealership wanted $1100 to fix saying that there was something blocking the track. I have whacked the motor a handful of times and no luck. Any ideas?

Innovazn
Car: Yellow 1998 Nissan R34 Skyline RB25DET 5 MT - Current

White 2012 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SR 6MT - Salvage (T-Boned at left turn)

White 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE - SOLD (blew the engine)

the dealer ship already said that the track was blocked, take a gander and try to clear it on your own.

Ryman
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

I have this same problem and I tried banging on the motor but it didn't work I was wondering do you have to take your seat out of the car to disconnect the seat and plug it back in?

travishand
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I was just about to take my 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE to dealership for the same issue and decided to check here. Glad to say that by pulling my seat forward by the headrest (pretty hard) and pushing the seat adjust switch forward, my seat is now working perfectly.

THANKS!
Ubel Feuer wrote:There was actually a notice sent out about the QX4 on this. The majority of the time it wasn't even broken. If you run the seat all the way back it can get stuck and will not move again. If you pull forward on the seat while moving it forward it should fix it.

It worked fine on my brothers QX4.

shap
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

I'm having the same problem right now!

I just picked up on 02 QX4. Drivers seat was working fine yesterday and then today it wont move, but tries to. The right side moves back and forth a bit, but is being hindered because the left side is stuck!

Its in the full back position and its too far back for my fiance to drive like this.

Any ideas?

I just tried pulling pretty hard on the seat back while pushing the power forward button. Again only the right side (closest to the middle) will move.

I took a flash light and tried looking for something on the tracks, but its pretty hard to see. I don't think its a motor issue, unless it uses independent motors on each side.

Thanks for any help, really need to resolve this!

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Tried hitting or tapping the motor with something?

shap

Yeah I tried with no luck... It's just the left track for some reason.

donald
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 (RIP, 2011)
2010 Pathfinder LE

if i were to compare this to something else "wrong" with the electrical motors in the Qx4 is compare it to the Windows motors; the windows tend to become sluggish when they roll about half-way down, to the point where maybe they stop moving altogether.
Usually members clean and then spray some silicon lube down the window tracks to make it run smoother.

It might be a similar case where the seat tracks get "gunked" up with the pre-existing grease and surrounding dust.
I might be wrong so I will take a look at my own seat-tracks to verify if this is a possibility.

The relay-click heard when trying to move the seat forward/backward (to me!) implies that electrical power is being delivered to the seat motor (assuming the relay contacts are in good condition), but the "gunk" is so thick that it prevents the motor from successfully driving the seat fwd/bkwd. So maybe all that's needed is that the tracks need to be cleaned and re-lubed or greased.

Questions contradicting my hypothesis above:
1. well, why does tapping or knocking on the motor case make it suddenly work again? :spitout:
Well, maybe the motor is "tired" out. It could be that the motor isn't constantly producing enough driving power to move the seat. GIving it a few taps might give it that extra "umph" to move the seat, and once the motor is in motion, it keeps going. :rotfl

2. well, how about pulling or pushing on the seat to get it moving? :confused:
considering the "gunk" idea and the "not enough power generated" idea, if you help the motor get past restrictive gunk, maybe it makes it a bit easier for the motor to move and drive the seat. It might be temporary until it get stuck in the gunk again. :poke:

3. what if there is no "gunk" in the tracks? what then? :slap:
well, maybe now it's the electrical delivery of power to the motor. Electrical motors, and I'm no motor expert - i'm just speculating, are driven with magnetic fields. Dust and whatever can build up around coils and wires that help produce electrical driving forces to move the seat. If the motors are dusty, try blowing some compressed air in it, like those you find in a can for computers. :whistle:
Or if not dust, then the Power circuit boards that distribute and relay power to the motor. Usually, it's my believe that electrical motors don't go bad, especially ones that aren't in constant use. We probabably move our seat back and forth maybe once or twice a week? And on top of that, they're short motions. I doubt most drivers sit on their seat and move it back and forth just for the pure experience :inoutgay:

shap

For me, it can't be the motor. It's not just "clicking", one side is actually moving. The other side isn't so the one side stops when it starting turning and the pressure stops it.

Really odd. I've looked again and can't see anything in the track either. There is a lot of grease on my hands after messing with it.

May go play around with it a bit more tonight..

donald
2010 Pathfinder LE

I'm not near my truck right now... but is there 2 motors moving the seat along track? Or is it 1 single central motor moving the entire seat?

Also consider what kind of rail-system the seat uses. Does it use a roller-wheel type mechanism? or is it some sort of chain/cable drive type of motion? or is it merely just 2pieces of metal sliding agaist each other?

If it's roller-wheel type rail, then consider that maybe the wheel broke and now the left side (stuck side) wheel is just sitting on a flat, and isn't rolling or sliding.

if it's cable/chain drive, ummm not sure what this could be. Maybe it's off it's sprocket or pulley?

if it's just 2 faces of metal sliding agaist each other, check to make sure it's not diggig into the track and getting itself jammed.

The above may require you to take your seat apart though :(

Chris.m
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD
2001 BMW 530i

I actually took my seat apart a month or two ago to fix the front raise/lower function (which I did), so I can tell you what it looks like.

For the sliding function, One motor powers two worm screws. On these two screws, there are, for lack of a better word, "nuts" that act as mounting points for the seat.

I think the problem most people encounter is that the seat somehow twists which puts too much pressure on the "nuts".

When I looked under my seat, I found that one of the "nuts" was unbolted from the seat itself. Essentially the seat was and is still working only by one "nut" on one side. I guess someone did this as a fix before. I have never had the stuck problems as mentioned above, so this is probably the fix. Seems like it would put too much pressure on one side, but then again, it works.

PS- If your going to remove your seat, Haynes says to disconnect the side airbag which requires taking out the seatback. So get a door panel clip remover or something like that. I spent nealry an hour with needle-nose plyers and a flat screwdirver and still managed to break half the clips.

hoosierdaddy95
Car: Infiniti QX4

Good morning, all:
I'm glad I searched for this forum...just had the same problem this week when the parking lot guy at the airport jammed the driver's seat all the way back (wasn't a fun drive home). When I called our Infiniti dealer, looking to see if the individual motor could be replaced, I was told that the entire seat assembly would need to be swapped out for $1200 (!!). After reading the advice on nicoclub.com, I went out side and gently tapped the motor with a hammer and screwdriver. Worked like a charm. Do I trust that it won't happen again? Nope...I plan on having a spare set of tools in the back at all times!

shap

Well I couldn't figure anything out so took it to a shop that was highly rated locally.

They said the motor,track and all other parts needed replacement and the part was $1100?!

I had them move the seat to mid position until I can figure out an alternative. This really sucks.

donald
2010 Pathfinder LE

Hmm...
I'm merely speculating at this point, as I still haven't had time to tear my seat apart to take a look at the whole system.

Maybe considering buying parts yourself and see if you can do the labor yourself?
I know you have a Qx4, but call a Infinit/Nissan dealership and see if the motors between the 2 are the same.
If so, go to courtesynissan (or your local dealer) and get the parts necessary.

... or! you may consider just switching to manual seats instead of powered?
I've always thought too much electrical crap is a headache anyway. I'm not that lazy where I have to rely on a motor to move my butt forward, back, up, and down. haha.
I'm mean, at least power-windows as it's advantages. Power seats? I have no idea why. Just to be fancy maybe?

VQPathy01
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 LE 4X4
1998 Nissan 200SX SE
1990 Nissan Fairlady 300ZX TT

Had this same issue just the other day, as I'm 6'5" and usually always have the seat at farthest position. My friend who's a Nissan tech said its common for the seats to find a rut to sit down in when all the way back. All I had to do is give it a quick tug while pushing the seats button and it came alive again. If that fails to work, there's a good chance the motor needs a good "tapping", or be replaced all together.

rogesa6
Car: 2001 pathfinder le

So, i just bought a used 2001 Pathfinder LE. the driver side seat was not working only in the frontward and backward position...i read on here some forums, and i went outside to start poking around with a screwdriver. I tapped on the front motor with no luck and tried pulling the seat foward while holding the button foward. I had no luck with that either. I seen on the front motor, the wires were taped up on the motor with a yellow piece of tape( not sure if that is factory or not) i pulled on the tape to free it ,as my intentions were to disconnect and re-connect the wires... and there it was!!!! it started working??? Not sure how or why this worked, or how long it will last, but i am glad it did! Hope this helps someone :)

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

rogesa6 wrote:So, i just bought a used 2001 Pathfinder LE. the driver side seat was not working only in the frontward and backward position...i read on here some forums, and i went outside to start poking around with a screwdriver. I tapped on the front motor with no luck and tried pulling the seat foward while holding the button foward. I had no luck with that either. I seen on the front motor, the wires were taped up on the motor with a yellow piece of tape( not sure if that is factory or not) i pulled on the tape to free it ,as my intentions were to disconnect and re-connect the wires... and there it was!!!! it started working??? Not sure how or why this worked, or how long it will last, but i am glad it did! Hope this helps someone :)
Yellow tape, if factory applied, is stuff related to airbags and/or the safety restraint system. I would *NOT* touch it if you didn't know exactly where it was. That yellow tape is almost definitely the previous owner's doing.

Ideally, you can solder the wires for a solid connection. Wrap it in electrical tape, then heatshrink over that. Or you can just use an insulated crimp-on butt connector, which will work well enough to maintain a solid connection for something as simple and accessible as that motor.

tjy123
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Just bought my 2001 Pathfinder LE yesterday and the seat worked fine. Today it stopped going back and forth but i could here a click. Thanks to everyones advise I went outside and tapped the motor with a screwdriver and hammer. Thats all it needed. Thanks!!!

bjm
Car: 1998 QX4, 2001 QX4, 2001 G20t, 2003 G35

I also have a seat that sticks when it is moved back from the wheel. This happened once before when I first bought it, and the used car lot "fixed it" for freer. The seat moves backward and forward on a pair of long screw drives. I was able to get it working again by pulling forward hard while pushing the switch forward. If you can hear the relay click, it would indicate that, absent a loose connector, power is being applied to the motor. I think that the drive binds up when rearward and the motor needs a little help to get started. Once it starts moving, it works normally until it is moved back towards the end of it's rearward travel. This may be a design flaw that is aggrevated by age and the accumulation of dirt in a postition that is seldom used. I plan on spraying some dry lube on the drives and hope for the best. Taking the seat out looks to be a pain, though then one could do a good job of cleaning and lubing the moving parts along with checking the integrity of the connectors. Thanks to all who posted good advice.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”