2000 Maxima SES light, TCS light, Slip all on

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
yashin
Car: football, rugby

Hey, just got a 2000 maxima a few months ago. Driving the other day the Service engine soon light, the TCS off light, and the SLIP light all came on. Now the TCS and SLIP light stay off , then come on occasionally.

Now there seems to be 3 things that happen. When it's just the SES light, the car runs fine. Sometimes when all 3 are on, it runs fight, but sometimes when all 3 are on it runs rough.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Here in the US, we have national parts chains (like Autozone or Advance Auto) that will scan the codes for free (in hopes of selling you the needed parts). If you don't have access to something like that, I'd guess you can buy a code scanner for less than the dealership diagnostic charge. If not, take it to the dealer and have them diagnose it.

Mike G
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30

One of the previous non-nissan cars I had would light the SLIP or TCS when I would spin the tires. Of course this was in the snow, I just can't resist a good tire-spin. Is that what was going on then yours lit up? I am still trying to familiarize myself with the Nissans, but isn't the SES tied into the ABS too. Could be your speed sensors need cleaning or are on the fritz.....

Just some thougnts --Mike

cal4591

I have the same exact problem. SES light started coming on soon after car came out of dealership. Within the last 2 years, all three have been coming on with accompanying rough idle. Sometimes, when I start the car, I can get rid of rough idle (and the TCS, Slip) by raising idle. And sometimes the TCS and Slip go off by themselves just by restrting the car. But SES light remains for a few weeks and then mysteriously goes away. Only to have the same cycle repeat a few weeks/days later.

sixteenXnine
Car: 2000 GLE and 2000 GXE

I have an intermittent SES light issue as well in my GLE... I think it goes away when I wash the underside of the car.

arunciks
Car: 2000 Infiniti I30t

Try checking your spark plugs and ignition coils. This kept happening to me with the lose ignition coil. Some other ppl suggest that alternator or battery might be an issue too.

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

You have good suggestions but t his thread is way back in Aug08.

arunciks
Car: 2000 Infiniti I30t

:)..lol didnt noticed it.. :P

tigersharkdude
Car: 1999 Nissan Maxima

which means......I want to know how noobs find these really old threads. I see it all the time on all of the forums Im on

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”