2000 Maxima keeps dying

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
tps2000
Car: 2000 Maxima gle

I have a 2000 Maxima and I have replaced the o2 sensors and the idle air control valve and it dies all the time. It is not tripping the sel light so I am not sure if I can have it scanned. The only thing I can think of is a defective idle valve. Any thoughts on what 2 check,prreeeciate it.

McSteve
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30

does it work when you keep the throttle pressed? my IAC valve blew out and they told me i need to do an IAC relearn at the dealership. when they did that the chief tech told me that sometimes when the IAC brakes it causes the ECU to fry, which happened to me. So i hope that didn't happend to you, but you should look into the IAC relearn

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Under what conditions is it dying?

bhdien
Car: 2006 BMW M3, 1997 Acura Integra, 2000 Nissan Maxima

Mine does the same thing when the car been sitting for a long time like in the mornings. It idles rough and dies but when the car warm up it ok, I replaced the mass air flow, and idle valve. Still does the same thing.

mrrbiggz
Car: 2006 M35X

this is true. if you had changed the idle air vavke you NEED to do a self learn @the dealer with consult II. It will die and act weird if you dont. Aslo possible the ecu could be fried. let the master tech look @ it and he will be able to tell.

lightsout
Car: 00 Nismo Maxima SE

take out your front cam sensor and crank sensor(behind passenger wheel under the crank pulley) and whipe them off with a clean terry cloth towl(no cleaner)...they are magnetic pick-up sensors and if they get dirty or gummy they trick the ECU a little...that's all i've got in addition to the guys above.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

Try cleaning throttle body

Check EGR valve to see if sticking while engine running and see if EGR tube to upper intake manifold if full of carbon

tps2000
Car: 2000 Maxima gle

Ok Lightsout, I will try to clean the sensors and see what that does. As for the EGR the one on my car is a sealed unit and I cant feel if the diaphram is moving or not. On the relearn I have a guy local whom is a Nissan master mech. who is on his on now and he told me the relearn does nothing, the computer relearns as soon as you hook the battery back up. If anyone out there has any more input on this please let me know????????

jetroy240
Car: S13, AE86

It is true that it will self-learn after it runs for a certain period of time, it's just makes it easier if you clear the self-learn w/ a scan tool or Consult II, so that you know the results right away if u fix it or not. I would check ALPHA readings first if you have access to a scantool or Consult II, possible u have an AFM problem. If ALPHA is ok & there's no codes, could be an ecu problem. Best bet is to swap a known good one, I believe it will need to reprogram the key everytime u swap ecu, w'c can only be done at your nissan dealer.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”